300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your take on this....?

Is that typical of how Law Enforcement would handle the situation? Does it accurately reflect Law Enforcements perception of DV?

http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/b...0968901&page=0
    Last edited by Malachians; 10-28-2009, 07:17 PM.
    Do you know who i am? No, why? Have you forgotten?

In seven years of wearing the badge, I've learned to hear both sides of the story before making a decision. When I first started, I probably made the same mistake, but I believe that is just an honest mistake and human nature. Now I teach the new recruits that are assigned to me in Field Training, to always stay impartial and get both sides of the story...

Comment

Originally posted by Malachians View Post
      Is that typical of how Law Enforcement would handle the situation? Does it accurately reflect Law Enforcements perception of DV?

http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/b...0968901&page=0
      Short answer, no. I would have separated all parties, assessed injuries, and then arrested the wife.

We're mandated by the state to make an arrest for every DV call we encounter.

-SC
      Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
      - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
      MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
      Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
      Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
      Various Graduate Credits - UoP
      MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
      DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

i learned to be very impartial very early on, granted I am still young in my career, but I always look at both sides. I have no problems arresting the female half if she committed the crime!

Comment

Appreciate the responses guys, its refreshing to see LE take an open minded approach. I would certainly agree that its human nature to assume that the male is the aggressor although thats not always the case

Comment

YES....with the info I was dispatched with "hes trying to kill me!", I would have cuffed him up too for safety reasons. Checked injuries, the safety of the kids then got all stories....then switched cuffs from dad to mom.
            She would have went to county jail
            women on men dv stuff is rare, or at least rarely reported, in my experience, but it does happen
            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by Malachians View Post
              Appreciate the responses guys, its refreshing to see LE take an open minded approach. I would certainly agree that its human nature to assume that the male is the aggressor although thats not always the case
              I would only "assume" because of the info given by dispatch...but hey, the cuffs can come off as easily as they get put on
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Or just arrest both. Easier on everyone.
                Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                  I would only "assume" because of the info given by dispatch...but hey, the cuffs can come off as easily as they get put on
                  Of course, upon arrival, thats all you know. I've found myself in a situation where i got in argument with a drunken ex, she punched me, scratched my cornea, and spat in my face for reasons you wouldnt believe. I wanted to call the cops but my guy roommate at the time told me id be arrested and not her so i can see why its under reported

Comment

Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                    Or just arrest both. Easier on everyone.
                    Arrest both when the male is the victim? That's not being fair and impartial. What if you were put in that situation? Would you want an Officer to say, "Shoot, lets make it easy on ourselves, let's just arrest both of them." If I can prove that a couple mutually assaulted each other, and there are visible injuries, sure they can go, but this situation was totally different.. I certainly hope you don't make those decisions on the street.

Comment

So far every time the person I end up arresting is the person who called in. Kids are a very good tool to see who is telling the truth...unless their parents corrupted them to believe that cops are the bad guys early on in life.

Comment

Ive actually arrested more women than men so far.

Dont ask me how or why lol. Thats what my stats reflect.

Comment

I've learned to question everything that is in print and know that the new media hardly ever gets the facts correct. I'd say there was another side of the story here that we aren't reading about.

But, with the information that was provided to the dispatcher, if the story is correct, I'd have shown up and placed the male in cuffs not only for his safety but mine also. DV incidents are dangerous calls but not the most dangerous calls that we go on. Nothing in this article states that the male was arrested and formally charged with a crime. This sounds as if it was just an officer safety measure to me.

Comment

I've arrested women as the aggressor in DV cases before. Even managed a few convictions, and in the world of DV were victims are often in love again by the time the court date rolls around that's not bad.

I've cuffed a guy only to let him go and take the woman before. I was still in FTO, woman was crying in the front yard with cuts on her legs and feet. I cuffed him, he had the sense not to argue, and when I started talking to him he said she cut herself and his story made sense. After talking to both parties, witnesses, and looking at the residence he got cut loose and she got a trip to the mental ward for a bit.

Don't argue, let us get the situation under control then when its safe and (reasonably) calm, we'll figure out what's really going on and deal with it properly.
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                              So far every time the person I end up arresting is the person who called in. Kids are a very good tool to see who is telling the truth...unless their parents corrupted them to believe that cops are the bad guys early on in life.
                              That's why I keep a bunch of stuffed animals in my bag. I hand 'em out to kids who are having a really bad day (like being EPC'ed) or when I'm riding around in the neighborhoods. Another officer keeps candy with him for the same reason. I've had a lot of information come my way because of those animals.
                              “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5913 users online. 332 members and 5581 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X