Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking a department (with expunged convictions)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking a department (with expunged convictions)

I have been trying to get hired onto a department for the past 18 months myself. I have been DQ'ed from 2 departments. I am 44 now, but I got into some trouble when I was 19. I had 2 cases that were charged as felonies, but were plead down to misdemeanors. I came from a broken family. My Father was an Officers for many years. I had not seen him for many years after they divorced. My Mother rebelled against any authority what so ever. She raised us telling us Police were all bad. When I got into trouble, I was able to see the good things about Law Enforcement and the justice system. I gained very much respect for Law Enforcement and always dreamed of being an Officer, but thought I would never be accepted. About 19 months ago I was talking to some Officers I know and for the first time I mentioned this to them. They told me to look into it. I have been working at it since. I live in Tx. now, but want to relocate to Nm, Az., Nv., or back to Ca.. After applying I found through back ground that my rap sheet shows felony convictions, then it show them reduced per 17pc and expunged per 1203.4pc. These cases were in Ca.. It has been almost 25 years and I have had no further trouble. I am on ride alongs with the local PD or SO most week ends. I love it! If anyone has any advice please let me know.
    Thank You!
    Mark James Meyer

I know the convictions were a long time ago, but a lot of felonies can not be overlooked and may be automatic disqualifiers. What were the convictions for?
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Receiving and commercial burglary (car stereo). THe problem I'm having is they were plead as misdemeanors, but they show felonies with reductions after the fact. Thanks for for your response!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Meyer View Post
        I have been trying to get hired onto a department for the past 18 months myself. I have been DQ'ed from 2 departments. I am 44 now, but I got into some trouble when I was 19. I had 2 cases that were charged as felonies, but were plead down to misdemeanors. I came from a broken family. My Father was an Officers for many years. I had not seen him for many years after they divorced. My Mother rebelled against any authority what so ever. She raised us telling us Police were all bad. When I got into trouble, I was able to see the good things about Law Enforcement and the justice system. I gained very much respect for Law Enforcement and always dreamed of being an Officer, but thought I would never be accepted. About 19 months ago I was talking to some Officers I know and for the first time I mentioned this to them. They told me to look into it. I have been working at it since. I live in Tx. now, but want to relocate to Nm, Az., Nv., or back to Ca.. After applying I found through back ground that my rap sheet shows felony convictions, then it show them reduced per 17pc and expunged per 1203.4pc. These cases were in Ca.. It has been almost 25 years and I have had no further trouble. I am on ride alongs with the local PD or SO most week ends. I love it! If anyone has any advice please let me know.
        Thank You!
        Mark James Meyer

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide it was necessary to tell s you came from a broken home?

In short, you're going to have to overcome a lot of obstacles. My department, as well as all of the other departments I know would automatically disqualify you based on your prior charges and convictions.

While you were able to get them reduced and expunged, the fact remains that they're still on your "record".

I don't think you'll be able to get hired, but I wish you luck... In other words if you want to; keep trying. Just please understand it doesn't look good.

-SC
        Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
        - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
        MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
        Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
        Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
        Various Graduate Credits - UoP
        MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
        DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Yes, I understand that. Unfortunately, I did not have them reduced or expunged. That is why I never knew that the records read that way until I submitted an application. The court does not have the original records, so we don't know why these motions were filed. I was told that they thought someone had noticed that they were plead as misdemeanors and that was how they corrected it. That is what the clerk thought, as that hies it from the civilian world. We are trying to get it corrected, the court faxed the DOJ, but we have not received much cooperation yet.Thank you!

Comment

Convicted, reduced, doesn't matter. You did do the initial crime in question.

You may want to look at smaller departments.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyCop View Post
              Just out of curiosity, why did you decide it was necessary to tell s you came from a broken home?

In short, you're going to have to overcome a lot of obstacles. My department, as well as all of the other departments I know would automatically disqualify you based on your prior charges and convictions.

While you were able to get them reduced and expunged, the fact remains that they're still on your "record".

I don't think you'll be able to get hired, but I wish you luck... In other words if you want to; keep trying. Just please understand it doesn't look good.

-SC
              +1

Comment

I think the problem for you is that you were charged with felonies because you committed felonies. While it is true that you do not have any felony convictions, you do have a felony arrest record. There are so many candidates without felony arrests that most departments don't even have to get down to you.

Comment

WARNING: Do not venture into CA and apply! The liklihood that you could get a second evaluation of your application would be far less than 0.001%. Sorry for the bad news.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/
                    Last edited by Nobody; 11-06-2009, 04:01 PM.

Comment

It's been noted, but your arrests were for felonies. You should also know, that in a Law Enforcement Background Investigation there is no such thing as an "Expungement". I realize that you didn't list Alabama as one of your possible destinations, but you'd be a DQ here as a result of the felony arrests. Stated another way, felonies are dealt down (reduced) to misdemeanors every day. The original felony arrest(s) are the killers in your case, and will remain so.

Comment

In Texas, it doesn't matter if Rick Perry himself absolves you, this much is true:

Any Felony or Class A Misdemeanor is a LIFETIME ban from being a Texas Peace Officer, Jailer, and possibly dispatcher (I don't know Telecommunicator rules)
                        sigpic
                        Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2713 users online. 144 members and 2569 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X