300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MD "Share the Road"

Ok, so I'm driving back to my house from annapolis and I'm driving past the Naval Academy Gate closest to the Naval Academy Bridge and I encouter two assh**** on bicycles. They are taking up the WHOLE lane... side by side riding and are riding at a slow rate of speed holding up traffic. No one can pass them. So i figure I'd just wait til I got on the Naval Academy bridge because their is a bike lane on the bridge for them and figure that would get em out of my way.

I get to the bridge and they do not go into the bike lane... they stay side by side taking up the whole lane on a bridge. Causing everyone to cross over the double yellow to pass on the bridge. What law would be in effect here? I'm pretty sure that's illegal, right? I have a code book from AACO PD but too lazy to look through it, sorry guys haha.

"Der Schmerz ist vorübergehend, Stolz ist für immer"

This is where you hope for some idiots road racing coming up fast behind you... Splat! Two more jackasses on bikes down. They do it all the time here in the Bay Area. It's called "critical mass" and I pray for the day that someone in a big rig loses it and just goes to town.

Yeah. I said it. **** 'em.
    Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

In CA they have to ride to the extreme right edge of the roadway:

Operation on Roadway

21202. (a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:

(1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.

(2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

(4) When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.

(b) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway of a highway, which highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of that roadway as practicable.

Amended Sec. 4, Ch. 674, Stats. 1996. Effective January 1, 1997.

Permitted Movements from Bicycle Lanes

21208. (a) Whenever a bicycle lane has been established on a roadway pursuant to Section 21207, any person operating a bicycle upon the roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride within the bicycle lane, except that the person may move out of the lane under any of the following situations:

(1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle, vehicle, or pedestrian within the lane or about to enter the lane if the overtaking and passing cannot be done safely within the lane.

(2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) When reasonably necessary to leave the bicycle lane to avoid debris or other hazardous conditions.

(4) When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.

(b) No person operating a bicycle shall leave a bicycle lane until the movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided in Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 22100) in the event that any vehicle may be affected by the movement.

Amended Sec. 5, Ch. 674, Stats. 1996. Effective January 1, 1997.
      If riders persist in obstructing traffic and riding slower than the normal flow, they become subject to an enforcement action.

Here is a summary of Maryland Bicycle Laws:

Maryland Bicycle Laws and Regulations

When bicycling through Maryland, we want you to have fun and be safe, so please be aware of your skill levels, make sure your equipment is in good working order, always wear a helmet and obey the following rules:

In Maryland, the bicycle is classified as a vehicle with all of the same requirements and restrictions as a motor vehicle, except the following:

Bicycles are prohibited on:

Roads where the posted speed limits are greater than 50 mph (riding on the shoulder of the roadway is permitted)

Expressways or other roadways where bicycles are prohibited

The travel lanes of roads where there exists a smooth shoulder or bicycle lane (except to makeleft turns or to avoid debris in the shoulder space)

On all public roads, where bicycling is allowed, the operator must:

*Wear a bicycle helmet if they are under 16 years old

*Obey all traffic signs, signals and other traffic devises

*Ride in the same direction as motor vehicles, as near to the right side of the roadway as possible

*Use standard arm signals to alert other drivers of lane changes and turns

*Stop for school buses when they are loading or unloading children

*Yield to pedestrians

*Refrain from wearing a headset that covers both ears

Legally, the bicycle must be equipped with:

*Front and rear lamps and reflectors if the bicycle is used on a public road at any time when there is insufficient light or inclement weather

*A bell or horn (sirens and whistles are not acceptable)

*Brakes

For specific language on the laws that pertain to bicycles, call and request a copy of "The Maryland Vehicle Law Pertaining to Bicycles."
      http://www.sha.state.md.us/exploremd...icyclists6.asp
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Never mind... i pulled out my MD law book... found it. Its pretty much the same as CA's...

21-1205 Riding on roadways or on highways.

Its deffinatly illegal...

It says they must ride extremely to the right aswell... Good find Sgt. thanks

Funny thing was... they gave me the bird when i honked at them to get over... and they still didn't. haha i was the better man and just passed them. Didn't even roll down my window or anything haha although i really wanted to. My friend riding in the passenger side did though haha.
        Last edited by Gotts56; 10-26-2009, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Gotts56, Welcome to Annapolis. It is the common thing here for them to do that. I have no problem sharing the road with them but they are responsible for sharing as well. My big pet peeve with them is when there IS a bike lane and they choose not to use it.

Another thing that is common in Annapolis is for people to walk in the street, no matter how wide or nice the sidewalk. Haven't figured that one out either.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor1430 View Post
            Gotts56, Welcome to Annapolis. It is the common thing here for them to do that. I have no problem sharing the road with them but they are responsible for sharing as well. My big pet peeve with them is when there IS a bike lane and they choose not to use it.

Another thing that is common in Annapolis is for people to walk in the street, no matter how wide or nice the sidewalk. Haven't figured that one out either.
            yah i under stand all that... i live on the service road next to the bay bridge by mdta.... I deal with bikers all the time... none of them were as rude as these little punk kids though. It totally ticked me off. You obvisouly know the naval academy bridge.... it has a huge bike lane, I mean comon, that was just ignorant.

Comment

As per the post of SgtCHP, we have similar laws for road users and I would be issuing the bike riders a ticket for Due care and consideration for other road users.
              If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Comment

The city of Portland just signed a bill which lets bikes roll through stop signs and redlights without coming to a complete stop.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2878 users online. 167 members and 2711 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X