300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP jurisdiction

I don't normally watch cops, but I got sucked into anepisode a few days ago and had a question about somethng I noticed. Officers were doing a felony stop on a stolen car somewhere in Washington near an army base. I saw in the background an MP helping with the stop. Obviously you wouldn't turn away help on a felony stop, but do MPs have any jurisdiction off base? Also, is it common for them to assist with something off base like that?

At my installation, we as civilian LE are permitted to back up locals doing high risk stops or involved in immediate assistance calls on the roads adjacent to the base. We just permission of the shfit commander and off we go.

Comment

Originally posted by dc1233 View Post
      I don't normally watch cops, but I got sucked into anepisode a few days ago and had a question about somethng I noticed. Officers were doing a felony stop on a stolen car somewhere in Washington near an army base. I saw in the background an MP helping with the stop. Obviously you wouldn't turn away help on a felony stop, but do MPs have any jurisdiction off base? Also, is it common for them to assist with something off base like that?
      It actually was within the base permiter.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

It was at Ft. Lewis WA, if I recall and the area was with in his jurisdiction.
        It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Hope the regular PD guys didn't call for "Cover"...hehehehe...
          Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

I don't know how it is there but the Navy base I work at has off base housing that we share jurisdiction with the local PD. It could have been a situation like that. I didn't see the episode though.

Also, sometimes the local PD will request us to respond if they don't have a unit free to handle the call or if the call warrants a quick response or back-up. Military Police may not have jurisdiction but they are first responders and they will offer mutual aid when requested.

Comment

MP's have jurisdiction over military members world wide, no matter if they're inside the confines of a gate or not when enforcing UCMJ violations.

Comment

I think that pisode is about 8-9 years old.
                It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

too add, we get called out for mutual aid by FHP, and the county sheriffs all the time, we have a stretch of highway that splits our beaches from our main beach (we have jurisdiction on both sides of the road, just not on the roadway).

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I didn't realize it was within the base perimeter. It just got my curiosity going.

Comment

I would think they would be able to provide backup but not actually make an arrest, which would violate Posse Comitatus.

As a side note, I recently saw MPs from 29 Palms Marine Corps base assisting San Bernardino County SO with a traffic collision in 29 Palms, so I guess they still do that kind of thing.
                      1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

MP's have jusrisdiction on base property and that is it. If a base owns a subdivision off base they can drive there to patrol that subdivision, but cannot make traffic stops off base enroute to that subdivision.

That episode the guy actually crashed into a fence on base putting him in MP's jurisdiction. Since it started off base 100% of the time the regular PD will take the 10-15 and process him for what they have, the perp could face charges from the base later after the PD is done with him, but that is unlikely for something simple like that. Obviously if he had killed someone or caused serious damage or injury on base he'd pay the piper there also.
                        Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeWhite View Post
                          At my installation, we as civilian LE are permitted to back up locals doing high risk stops or involved in immediate assistance calls on the roads adjacent to the base. We just permission of the shfit commander and off we go.
                          The only can happen is if the roads you are referring to is on the base itself. There is no way you can assist any outside LE agency outside of the base. You can say they allow you to, however you may want to CYA and double and triple check on that with JAG. And if the locals have an MOU.

Question yourself. What are you suppose to do and how would you react if the traffic stop goes bad? What then?
                          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Is the road concurrent jurisdiction, or exclusive?

Comment

Also in some places half the road is apart of easement (for those who dont know, its land to where the government has jurisdiction up to but is past the fenceline, kinda like a sidewalk in front of the house), and is generally concurrent.
                              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2791 users online. 157 members and 2634 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X