300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before you became a officer

Before you became a cop, did you guys get a degree in criminal justice or were you still going to college when you became a cop?

What do most departments look for when it comes down to school, do you prefer you have a degree in CJ or do they not care?

What can give you a better chance of becoming a LEO
    NYPD Exam:2311
    Let the process begin!

NCPD Exam:2000
    Score: Pending...

SCPD
    Score: Passed/No call

Suffolk Corrections:
    Score: Passed/No call yet

Suffolk Parks:

Suffolk Sheriff:

PAPD
    Score: Qualified.

NYSP
    Exam: Oct 12th 2013

I had most of what I needed for a CJ AA degree. I wasted my time and effort.

I ended up getting hired by LAPD, who had agreements with (at the time) Cal-State L.A. to grant CS college credits in all the corresponding courses (evidence, community relations, report writing, etc.). Because I already had those classes, I was not able to get credits for going through the LAPD academy. English, business & accounting, general ed., almost anything is better than a CJ degree, IMO.

The important thing you bring to the table, at selection time, is any degree, second language skills, a releatively clean criminal & employment record, and some people skills.
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Well as of right now I'm going for my AA degree in CJ, I also know another language (maltese) and i do ha√e a clean criminal record.

Knowing another language, is that a plus?
      Let the process begin!

SCPD

Suffolk Corrections:

Suffolk Parks:

Suffolk Sheriff:

PAPD

NYSP

Comment

1)Get a degree in something.
        2)CJ degrees are dime a dozen in my agency much more common than any other degree.
        3)This means a lot of CJ majors become cops but it also means a lot of CJ students apply to be cops
        4)If you have a degree in something else you will be more likely to stand out in a sea of CJ students.

just my 2 cents
        What have you done for the State of Iowa today?

- My SGT

Comment

Do a search or just check the history--there is a what-kind-of-degree-should-I-get thread every couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by IwantTobeANYSP View Post
            Before you became a cop, did you guys get a degree in criminal justice or were you still going to college when you became a cop?

What do most departments look for when it comes down to school, do you prefer you have a degree in CJ or do they not care?

Joined the Navy after high school. Worked as an air traffic controller for 6 years, then as a computer network engineer for 11. Joined SHP at the age of 36 and took a huge paycut. It was worth it though. I love the work, and I'm glad I waited before I did this. Still don't have a degree and probably will never pursue one. If something were to happen, I have a couple of things to fall back on.

With the people I talk to, it seems that military experience pulls more weight than a degree. At least it's that way with the agencies I've applied for. Got through the process the first time with SHP.

Comment

Personally I have no degree unless you consider penny beer night or low crawling back to the house credit hours, I did attend collage when I was in the military, but did not compete anything for a degree, I will get back there soon I just have to get some schools out of the way for work. Get a degree in something that you can use if you are not able to do LE.
              It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Thats the thing, I really want to do something in LE but and work with one of the local PD's. But none of the test happen until 2-4 more years... and i think taking CJ may not be the best thing. And i really don't want to go with the NYPD, nothing against them i took the test already but i want to stay on the island and or join the NYSP.
                Let the process begin!

SCPD

Suffolk Corrections:

Suffolk Parks:

Suffolk Sheriff:

PAPD

NYSP

Comment

Well as of right now I'm going for my AA degree in CJ, I also know another language (maltese) and i do ha√e a clean criminal record.

Knowing another language, is that a plus?
                  Okay, we'll my advice was sought too late, so be it.

Maltese, ehhhh? Maltese-Americans....are they known to be involved in lot of crime, either as victims or suspects? Can't recall a time in 30 years at LAPD where a victim cried, "I was beaten and robbed by four gun-toting Maltese gangmembers...they were shouting, 'X’ hemm gdid?'!" Not to say it doesn't happen somewhere, but not a lot in any place I've been a cop.

In your case a third language, might help...Spanish...French...Arabic, whatever your current skill levels in Maltese will lend themselves to.

The reson for the additional language is that you need to stand out from the rest of the college grad degree-holders. Second (and third) languages spoken by qualified cops can assist greatly in investigations, negotiations, community relations, etc.
                  "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Haha, Yeah I'm a Maltese-American. We are not the ones to get into trouble. But thanks for the advice and info, greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                    Okay, we'll my advice was sought too late, so be it.

Maltese, ehhhh? Maltese-Americans....are they known to be involved in lot of crime, either as victims or suspects? Can't recall a time in 30 years at LAPD where a victim cried, "I was beaten and robbed by four gun-toting Maltese gangmembers...they were shouting, 'X’ hemm gdid?'!" Not to say it doesn't happen somewhere, but not a lot in any place I've been a cop.

In your case a third language, might help...Spanish...French...Arabic, whatever your current skill levels in Maltese will lend themselves to.

The reson for the additional language is that you need to stand out from the rest of the college grad degree-holders. Second (and third) languages spoken by qualified cops can assist greatly in investigations, negotiations, community relations, etc.
                    Let the process begin!

SCPD

Suffolk Corrections:

Suffolk Parks:

Suffolk Sheriff:

PAPD

NYSP

Comment

I have a bachelor of science in telecommunications, and an associate of applied science in Computer Science.

I worked for a small telecommunications company for a year and a half after graduating college. After that I worked for AT&T as a telecommunications technician for 1.5 years until I was layed off.
                      What is Perseverance?
                      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

English degree here. Will eventually learn Spanish because I could use it, but otherwise just bastardized Spanish and Italian from HS and college. No military experience either, but I do know they get an additional "ten points" for prior military experience.

Also, no criminal stuff in the background and good people skillz.

Comment

You people make it sound like it's an easy task to get into the force. Well maybe it is in some parts of the country but i feel like here, suffolk county you need to get your name picked from 20,000 people from a hat.
                          Let the process begin!

SCPD

Suffolk Corrections:

Suffolk Parks:

Suffolk Sheriff:

PAPD

NYSP

Comment

After high school I obtained my advanced education in death and destruction from Uncle Sam's Misugided Children, that was sufficient to get hired.
                            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

I received my undergraduate degree in business administration, before I was sworn. I didn't have any interest in attaining a degree in criminal justice then, and still don't.

Most departments that require a college degree don't care what it's in. It would behoove the applicant to attain a degree in something that makes them marketable. Business degrees are valuable in law enforcement as they empower the officer to be able to administer law enforcement personal, prepare reports, balance books, etc. A degree in public administration is just as good.

Also if at anytime in your LE career, you get hurt, fired, or just tired of the job; you'll have something you can fall back on. I know some former officers that became disgruntled with police work that had fancy CJ degrees... They make $10 to $14 an hour with some pretty crappy security companies.

Plan ahead...

-SC
                              Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                              - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                              MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                              Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                              Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                              Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                              MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                              DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6252 users online. 343 members and 5909 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X