Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baltimore City vs PG County Police

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Baltimore City vs PG County Police

    Hi all fellow officers, I currently received two police departments' acceptance, Baltimore City and PG County. Baltimore city's academy is going to start in December and PG county's is going to start in November. BPD has a bigger department, starting off with 42,000, no take home vehicle and 1 hour drive away from home. PG County has a smaller department, starting off with 46,000, authorize take home vehicle and 30 mins drive away from home. Many of my friends are tell me to take the offer from PGPD, but I think that since BPD has a bigger department, I would have a higher chance for promotion. What do you guys think? all suggestion will take into consideration. Thank You in advance
    13
    Baltimore City Police
    7.69%
    1
    Prince George's County Police
    92.31%
    12

  • #2
    I know nothing about BPD but I know PG is in the news all the time, so I imagine you'll stay busy there.

    Congrats though and best of luck.

    Comment


    • #3
      messed this all up, lol
      Last edited by IBTP711; 10-25-2009, 10:01 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        ummmm.......I just replyed to the thread and hit the report button by accident so who ever is in charge please disregard

        But as I said, tried to say rather, with PG you have plenty of room to advance. Once you have 3 yrs on you can test for Pfc, 5 yrs Cpl., 6 yrs. Sgt, 8 yrs Lt. and so on. only on the Sgt test and above do you get put on the list. there is plenty of room to advance, plenty!
        Our department is relatively large with around 1420 officers
        So if that is the sole basis of your choice then I hope I have given you a little more info to go off of.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cyuen86 View Post
          Hi all fellow officers, I currently received two police departments' acceptance, Baltimore City and PG County. Baltimore city's academy is going to start in December and PG county's is going to start in November. BPD has a bigger department, starting off with 42,000, no take home vehicle and 1 hour drive away from home. PG County has a smaller department, starting off with 46,000, authorize take home vehicle and 30 mins drive away from home. Many of my friends are tell me to take the offer from PGPD, but I think that since BPD has a bigger department, I would have a higher chance for promotion. What do you guys think? all suggestion will take into consideration. Thank You in advance
          What you should do is make a pro-con list for both departments and see what you come up with. Include your spouse (if you have one) when making the list or ask some friends to help come up with ideas.

          And for my two cents. I commute 50 miles to work without a take home vehicle and it sucks. Nothing sucks more than getting off a long busy shift to have to drive home for an hour in traffic. I wouldn't worry so much about promotions, they aren't everything and you may find that you don't want to be a supervisor but move into a different section of the agency. Also your chances of promotion are going to be a few years off anyway. That take home car is going to save you a lot of money and you can certainly expect gas prices to shoot up again this summer.
          Last edited by wirefire2; 10-25-2009, 10:05 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by IBTP711 View Post
            ummmm.......I just replyed to the thread and hit the report button by accident so who ever is in charge please disregard

            But as I said, tried to say rather, with PG you have plenty of room to advance. Once you have 3 yrs on you can test for Pfc, 5 yrs Cpl., 6 yrs. Sgt, 8 yrs Lt. and so on. only on the Sgt test and above do you get put on the list. there is plenty of room to advance, plenty!
            Our department is relatively large with around 1420 officers
            So if that is the sole basis of your choice then I hope I have given you a little more info to go off of.
            Those are great advices, thx alot bro.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
              What you should do is make a pro-con list for both departments and see what you come up with. Include your spouse (if you have one) when making the list or ask some friends to help come up with ideas.

              And for my two cents. I commute 50 miles to work without a take home vehicle and it sucks. Nothing sucks more than getting off a long busy shift to have to drive home for an hour in traffic. I wouldn't worry so much about promotions, they aren't everything and you may find that you don't want to be a supervisor but move into a different section of the agency. Also your chances of promotion are going to be a few years off anyway. That take home car is going to save you a lot of money and you can certainly expect gas prices to shoot up again this summer.
              Yea i made a list already and both departments are super good, very difficult to choose. Yes, also driving back and forth is def no fun at all esp during traffic! thx for your opinion

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cyuen86 View Post
                Yea i made a list already and both departments are super good, very difficult to choose. Yes, also driving back and forth is def no fun at all esp during traffic! thx for your opinion
                Try to work on your grammar and such. You are about to become a police officer and typing things like this as if it were a text message on a phone looks pretty bad.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
                  Try to work on your grammar and such. You are about to become a police officer and typing things like this as if it were a text message on a phone looks pretty bad.
                  well I don't think i have to be grandiloquent on a forum, but advice taken.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Grandiloquent? Good word and yes, I had to look it up.

                    I grew up in PG County. Phew! Made it out alive!

                    Both agencies appear solid. Both jurisdictions have more than their fair share of 'work'. I personally would not want to reside in either but there are worse places. If you're up for a busy and oft times challenging LEO career, you're heading in the right direction (IMO) with either. I'd lean a little to the County but if I were you, (my bet is you have or will), I'd weigh in on what each has to offer: salary, benefits, retirement, shifts, command structure, job security, etc.

                    Best of luck with your choice and stay safe.
                    sigpic
                    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Having spent some time in the area when I was working for the federal government and teaching, I would vote for PG County. Both have large minority populations, but the politics in Baltimore seemed more problematic.
                      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hate to be the dissenter here, but are you going to make your decision based on the poll? OTH, kind of a nice dilema to be in. Okay, I'll go this far. I'd lean toward to PG County. Good luck in whatever you decide.

                        Comment

                        MR300x250 Tablet

                        Collapse

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 5647 users online. 312 members and 5335 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

                        Welcome Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X