Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blizzination
    Guest replied
    My agency has a fairly liberal pursuit policy...it's up to the discretion of the officer and supervisor to cancel it if and when it becomes dangerous. Our department recognizes people don't flee for no reason.

It usually starts with "vehicle failing to yield" or "attempting to overtake a vehicle fleeing from me at a high rate of speed" and then direction and location. We don't have a clear cut rule, I usually give it a *reasonable* amount of time before I declare a pursuit. I had a FTY that went for 0.9 miles, full code 3 with no sign of yielding. Turned out to be a misdemenor case of HUA, and a 21806(a) CVC cite (FTY to Emergency Vehicle) it wasn't offically a pursuit.

Leave a comment:

• CruiserClass
    replied
    How long? Depends on the street, speed limit, traffic conditions, etc.

I had a guy who did exactly what you just said. I thought he was either drunk or texting, I could see his eyes looking down in his mirror. I followed him for almost a mile with the party lights and siren going and just as I keyed up to put it out over the radio he jerked to the left and stopped.

Seems I'd finally woken him up...

Anyway I've had a judge tell a woman she could be guilty of fleeing after she didn't stop for 0.6 miles with me behind her. She was only charged with resisting and failiure to ID, but the judge pointed out to her that her behavior could have resulted in a felony.

Leave a comment:

• grumpyirishman
    replied
    No speeding up or attempt to elude???

It's only a Failure to Yield.....Get him at the next red light...

Leave a comment:

• SinePari
    replied
    Some guys say; "I'm trying to catch up with a vehicle". That way it's not a pursuit...yet

Leave a comment:

• j706
    replied
    Originally posted by Yankee_1 View Post
    same here. if you dont pull over or run for any reason we will pursue you till we catch.
    Same here. As far as what we tell dispatch...location only. That is all they need to know.

Leave a comment:

• Yankee_1
    replied
    Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
    What you propose is not a pursuit, it is a failure to yield. The CHP will continue to follow as necessary until the vehicle runs out of gas or the driver pulls over. I have seen FTYs that have covered 200+ miles and gone on for a couple of hours. Ultimately, we win in the end.
    same here. if you dont pull over or run for any reason we will pursue you till we catch.

Leave a comment:

• Bushranger
    replied
    Originally posted by Defender77 View Post
    Pursuits are a big no-no where I work, they are very much discouraged.

Unless it's a bank robber who just held up a bank or a wanted murderer or escapee of course.
    It seems like we're limited by a similar policy and I won't go into much detail except to say that if our grubs want to know what our Pursuit Policy is, they can file a Freedom of Information request and pay for that info.

Leave a comment:

• DACP
    replied
    Depends on what happens next, does the driver pull over further down the road in a parking lot, under a street light, etc. We have a construction area that for about 4 miles there is nowhere to pull over, if after you get to what is a reasonable area to pull over, and you do so, then no harm no foul, but if you keep going we then have a problem. Now then you speed up when I light them up I will call a pursuit according to our policies.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
    What you propose is not a pursuit, it is a failure to yield. The CHP will continue to follow as necessary until the vehicle runs out of gas or the driver pulls over. I have seen FTYs that have covered 200+ miles and gone on for a couple of hours. Ultimately, we win in the end.
    Must be nice.....our policy specifically states that there is no such thing as FTY....you are either in pursuit, or you are not.....and we are prohibited from pursuing for just traffic violations.

Leave a comment:

• wirefire2
    replied
    Originally posted by Defender77 View Post
    - Reason for stop
    - Direction of flight
    - Speed
    - Weather Conditions
    - Description/number of occupants
    - Pedestrian/vehicular traffic
    - Description/license plate of vehicle
    pfft...I'm in pursuit, call the high-pos (Highway Patrol) and see if they can help.

Leave a comment:

• Defender77
    replied
    Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
    Defender,

I don't think your job at the Mall of America qualifies as an LEO position. When was the last time you actually were in a pursuit and how does it feel to drive a golf cart at high speed?
    Our golf carts have batteries that only last 20 minutes.

What are you trying to say?

Leave a comment:

• SgtCHP
    replied
    Originally posted by Bnathanb1982 View Post
    When you attempt to pull a car over for whatever reason, and the car doesn't pull over right away, however doesn't speed up or attempt to obviously get away, how long do you give it before calling in a pursuit?

Leave a comment:

• District B 13
    replied
    Defender,

I don't think your job at the Mall of America qualifies as an LEO position. When was the last time you actually were in a pursuit and how does it feel to drive a golf cart at high speed?

Leave a comment:

• Defender77
    replied
    Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
    A pop quiz on something that varies agency to agency....really?

yes....1, 2, 3 ...go!

Leave a comment:

• Defender77
    replied
    Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
    Hey 77, why dont you start posting actual tactics that you guys use too. This is a public forum after all.

Nah, that would be giving too much away.

The 7 stuff I listed helps a criminal in what way?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4247 users online. 241 members and 4006 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X