300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Pursuit

When you attempt to pull a car over for whatever reason, and the car doesn't pull over right away, however doesn't speed up or attempt to obviously get away, how long do you give it before calling in a pursuit?

Depends on what the stop is for.....that all by itself will dictate if we even CAN go into pursuit......
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Pursuits are a big no-no where I work, they are very much discouraged.

Unless it's a bank robber who just held up a bank or a wanted murderer or escapee of course.

For me to initiate a pursuit there must be two things:

- A violation prior to the pursuit
      - The driver must make an overt move to try and evade me

Without the two there is no pursuit.

Comment

Hey! Pop quiz time!

Without looking at your cheat book or notes, who can quickly name by memory the things you need to tell the Dispatcher as you are pursuing a vehicle?

Comment

- Reason for stop
          - Direction of flight
          - Speed
          - Weather Conditions
          - Description/number of occupants
          - Pedestrian/vehicular traffic
          - Description/license plate of vehicle

Comment

Hey 77, why dont you start posting actual tactics that you guys use too. This is a public forum after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Defender77 View Post
              Hey! Pop quiz time!

Without looking at your cheat book or notes, who can quickly name by memory the things you need to tell the Dispatcher as you are pursuing a vehicle?
              A pop quiz on something that varies agency to agency....really?

Comment

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
                Hey 77, why dont you start posting actual tactics that you guys use too. This is a public forum after all.

Nah, that would be giving too much away.

The 7 stuff I listed helps a criminal in what way?

Comment

Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                  A pop quiz on something that varies agency to agency....really?

yes....1, 2, 3 ...go!

Comment

Defender,

I don't think your job at the Mall of America qualifies as an LEO position. When was the last time you actually were in a pursuit and how does it feel to drive a golf cart at high speed?
                    Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bnathanb1982 View Post
                      When you attempt to pull a car over for whatever reason, and the car doesn't pull over right away, however doesn't speed up or attempt to obviously get away, how long do you give it before calling in a pursuit?
                      What you propose is not a pursuit, it is a failure to yield. The CHP will continue to follow as necessary until the vehicle runs out of gas or the driver pulls over. I have seen FTYs that have covered 200+ miles and gone on for a couple of hours. Ultimately, we win in the end.
                      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                        Defender,

I don't think your job at the Mall of America qualifies as an LEO position. When was the last time you actually were in a pursuit and how does it feel to drive a golf cart at high speed?
                        Our golf carts have batteries that only last 20 minutes.

What are you trying to say?

Comment

Originally posted by Defender77 View Post
                          - Reason for stop
                          - Direction of flight
                          - Speed
                          - Weather Conditions
                          - Description/number of occupants
                          - Pedestrian/vehicular traffic
                          - Description/license plate of vehicle
                          pfft...I'm in pursuit, call the high-pos (Highway Patrol) and see if they can help.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                            What you propose is not a pursuit, it is a failure to yield. The CHP will continue to follow as necessary until the vehicle runs out of gas or the driver pulls over. I have seen FTYs that have covered 200+ miles and gone on for a couple of hours. Ultimately, we win in the end.
                            Must be nice.....our policy specifically states that there is no such thing as FTY....you are either in pursuit, or you are not.....and we are prohibited from pursuing for just traffic violations.
                            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Depends on what happens next, does the driver pull over further down the road in a parking lot, under a street light, etc. We have a construction area that for about 4 miles there is nowhere to pull over, if after you get to what is a reasonable area to pull over, and you do so, then no harm no foul, but if you keep going we then have a problem. Now then you speed up when I light them up I will call a pursuit according to our policies.
                              It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4552 users online. 277 members and 4275 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X