Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can cell phone be hand held if driver is stopped by side of road?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can cell phone be hand held if driver is stopped by side of road?

First off, I loathe talking on the cell phone while driving -- it's very distracting, even though I use a bluetooth device. Fortunately I rarely need to talk while driving-- only my immediate family and my daughter's school have my cell number.

I wear the bluetooth if I happen to be driving at a time when I think I might get a call (e.g. my daughter will call if she missed the school bus home and needs to be picked up; my husband calls briefly during his lunch break.) At other times, I don't wear the bluetooth-- it is uncomfortable and interferes with the earpiece of my sunglasses/tends to fall off.

So if the cell phone should ring when I am not wearing the bluetooth, and I decide to pull over to answer it, is it sufficient to be idling by the side of the road or must the engine actually be turned off while using a hand held phone, to be in compliance with the law? I am in CT.

The reason I'm wondering this is that I heard of a situation where a person in CA was told by an officer that her car engine needed to be turned off to use the phone.

Can anyone clarify the law?
    Thanks in advance.

Don't know about CT but if you were pulled over on the side of the road here in Arizona and I pulled up behind you the most I'd do is check to see if everything was ok and you didn't need any assistance...if you didn't I'd tell you to have a nice day and be on my way....now if you were on the side of the road and it was unsafe I'd probably ask you to move to a safer location...otherwise that's about it

Comment

Originally posted by HotSoup View Post
      Don't know about CT but if you were pulled over on the side of the road here in Arizona and I pulled up behind you the most I'd do is check to see if everything was ok and you didn't need any assistance...if you didn't I'd tell you to have a nice day and be on my way....now if you were on the side of the road and it was unsafe I'd probably ask you to move to a safer location...otherwise that's about it
      Same in NH - it happens fairly often. Again, I can't speak for CT either.
      summer - winter - work

Comment

This is from a CT site: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/cellphon.pdf

Hand-held cell phones or mobile electronic devices
        may not be used while operating a motor vehicle in
        Connecticut.

• Drivers 18 years of age and older need hands-free
        accessories to legally use cell phones or mobile
        electronic devices while operating a motor vehicle.

• New drivers who are 16 or 17 years of age are
        restricted from using any type of cell phone or
        mobile electronic device while driving, even with
        hands-free accessories. Effective August 1, 2008,
        a conviction of violating this law will result in at
        least a 30-day suspension of your driver license
        and could require you to attend an operator retraining
        class if you have other violations.
        The exceptions to this law include:

• A cell phone or mobile electronic device may be
        used, by a driver of any age, in an emergency
        situation, when contacting an emergency response
        operator, a hospital, physician’s office, health
        clinic, ambulance company or fire or police de -
        partment.

• Drivers who are 18 years of age and older who are
        peace officers, firefighters or ambulance drivers
        may use hand-held cell phones and electronic
        devices while performing their official duties.

The act defines a ‘mobile electronic device’ as any
        hand-held or other portable electronic equipment
        capable of providing data communication between
        two or more people. Included are devices for text
        messaging or paging, personal digital assistants,
        laptop computers, equipment capable of playing video
        games or digital video disks, or equipment on which
        digital photographs are taken or transmitted. A
        mobile electronic device does not include audio equipment
        or any equipment installed in the vehicle to provide navigation,
        emergency, or other assistance to the driver or video entertainment to passengers in the vehicle’s rear seats.
        By the above, if you are stopped and the engine is still running, you may not use your cell phone unless you are using a hands free device. Legally parked, there should be no issue.
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Once again the Traffic God has spoken...
          Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
          - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
          MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
          Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
          Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
          Various Graduate Credits - UoP
          MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
          DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Thank you-- and that is interesting, because I would have thought that "while operating a motor vehicle" meant that the vehicle was moving. Somehow I would have thought being stopped meant it wasn't being operated. But I understand now.
            Last edited by MotivatedMom; 10-23-2009, 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by MotivatedMom View Post

Thank you-- and that is interesting, because I would have thought that "while operating a motor vehicle" meant that the vehicle was moving. Somehow I would have thought being stopped meant it wasn't being operated. But I understand now.
              If the engine is running you're still operating it...
              Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
              - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
              MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
              Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
              Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
              Various Graduate Credits - UoP
              MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
              DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

That makes sense.

My husband (who is home today) was surprised when I told him about needing to turn the engine off to use the handheld. I think a lot of people don't realize this.

Comment

No violation in Alabama. In fact, you're to be commended for pulling over. I mean that. Wish more folks would.

Comment

As long as you are not driving the vehicle down the road and are safely off of the roadway you are good to go here.
                    " I DON'T WANT A LARGE FARVA!"

Comment

In spite of the law, there are still a lot of people using handheld phones while driving here in CT. I see them every day. I am very leery of them-- they make careless mistakes. I've had a few near misses due to their inattention. They don't even seem to notice they've nearly caused an accident.

However I think -- and I've read that studies have borne this out-- the real hazard is having a phone conversation while driving, whether handheld or not. I've read that it is about the same as driving while intoxicated.

It's not just driving-- multitasking in general is not nearly as efficient as people think. Recently I read that a study has shown that when people multitask, they do worse at each of the tasks they are doing concurrently.

This is one reason I don't want more people to have my cell number. I have to keep the phone on when I'm out on errands, in case the school needs to call me, but I really don't want to be taking calls if I don't have to. Life is busy enough!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3935 users online. 216 members and 3719 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X