300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many ride alongs??

There is a small post in the meet and greet section if you want to read about me.

So a couple months ago i went on a ride along with my local police department, to get the feel of what it was like. Everything went good, the chief said ride along are usually 4 hours but the FTO i was with asked me if i wanted to stay the whole shift ( like i was going to say no ha!) so i did the nine hour shift with him. I don't know if all departments are like this but he didn't make me stay in the car the whole time and he let me go wherever he went even while they where in foot pursuit, break in alarms etc. I had a great time and i didnt feel like i was a burden to him, if anything he made me feel like i was another set of eyes while on patrol. SO after talking to other officers from different cities they all said that i need to go on more than one ride along and start getting my face recognized ( in the good way ). I called the chief again but apparently he was out of town and came back today so i assume he had a bunch or stuff to catch up on because i did not get a call back. I told the receptionist for the department i wanted to do another ride along so she transferred me to the sergeant who scheduled ride along and i was told a bunch of reasons why i could not go on another ride along, limit 1 per person, my reason to go on a ride along wasn't good enough (wanting to be a LEO for the city apparently is not a good enough reason), i have to make an appointment months in advance ( even though the first ride along the chief told me to call a couple days before i wanted to go). So she said she would talk to the chief about it since what he says goes and now im waiting for a call back. WTF HAPPENED now i feel like i'm pushing too hard, Is it possible to do too many ride along? I would love to hear some incite from LEO's about ride alongs and possible suggestions.
    Last edited by MAVRICK70004; 01-18-2010, 12:28 AM.

Our agency only allows a person to ride once every six months, regardless of what your reason is for wanting to ride. Maybe they have a similar policy. Also I would be carefull about going over the Sgt's head whose job it is to schedule rides, for if you are fortunate to wear their badge one day, you may work for her.

Comment

Yup, never step on toes, esp. in a police dept

The toes you step on today could become the backside you have to kiss tomorrow.

Comment

It's fairly common to have a limitation on ride alongs. No excuse for a poor attitude, if that's what happened, though.
        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

I didnt demand her to speak to the Chief if thats what it sounded like lol I told her about how the previous experience went and how the chief scheduled it and i had to call a few days in advance blah blah and SHE said she will check with him since what he says goes. I understand the limitations and wat not she could have just been nicer about it haha

Comment

It's quite possible that she was following the rules. Was she rude or efficient and blunt?
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Just remember, always be nice to future co-workers.

And just a good rule in general.

"The toes you step on today could become the backside you have to kiss tomorrow."

Comment

1st - Don't listen to Defende77, he probably has less experience then you.

2nd - Defender77 happens to be right, but still don't pay attention to him.

3rd - Many departments limit how many you can go on, I believe ours is once every 6 months.

4th - Do several ride alongs at difference agencies and different shifts, that way you get a different feel for how different places work.

Comment

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Comment

Quite a few Departments limit the number of Ride-Alongs. The reasons are many and varied, and they don't have to disclose them to you. When all the smoke clears and the dust settles, the Sergeant you spoke to simply quoted agency policy. Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but I think you may have left her with the impression you were prepared to go over her head, and speak to the Chief. Major error on your part, if that was your intention. You seem also to have taken offense at the Sergeant's "attitude", in light of the fact that you want to work for this agency. They don't owe you any favors or special consideration. Based on the contents of your post, I get the sense that you could be on the verge of making a major error. That of making a yourself a considerable pain in the neck at the Department. Avoid that. You do it to the detriment of any future you might have there.

Comment

We have a very liberal ride a long policy. Pretty much they can ride as much as they want. We have on girl who rode pretty much every shift we worked for two weeks.(she rode with a married female, so no hanky panky) Pretty much as long as you aren't annoying you can ride as much as you and only have to call before you come in and clear it with the shift supervisor.

Comment

Boomhower,

We actually had one as well. Short little background check and they could ride whenever for as long as they wanted. Then a badge bunny making her way through some of the shifts changed THAT and now it's like twice a year or something. I was told over the weekend she is taking her FOURTH try at rookie school come January. She's worse than a bar mattress.
                        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

once every 6 months here...
                          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                          The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                          sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

The main reason for the limits is because after a while you start getting buddy buddy with the guys/girls and instead of being a ride along it becomes a cool place to hang out. You end up distracting the officer (whether you think you are or not) and as stated, you will occasionally get the badge bunny/bobbie.

One thing you have to keep in mind. No matter how useful your officer makes you feel it's still an inconvenience. We have to move our stuff and reorganize our office on wheels so you can fit. We are baby sitting you (no matter how helpful you are) and have to watch two backs the whole time.

I'm not saying this to discourage you but so that you can somewhat understand. I make it clear to all my ride alongs that if you ride with me you work. You write out my tickets, you gather witness statements, etc...
                            I find this weeds out the ones who are really interested in LE work from those who want a front row seat to COPS.

With the economy the way it is there's a flood of LE applicants. With that comes a lot of ride alongs. There's nothing more annoying then to just get your car set back up and you get told you have another ride along. Be understanding of that.

The fact that because you were told you couldn't ride that time you automatically invoke the Chiefs name tells me you need a break. Whether you intended to or not you just came off to that Sgt. as arrogant and guess what, she will probably be on your oral board when you apply. Even worst, she'll be your FTO or supervisor.

If I were you I would seek her out and apologize for suggesting that. She may even return the apolgy for how she acted. If she doesn't let it go and make a note to ride when her shift is not on.
                            Last edited by leesrt; 10-24-2009, 02:33 AM.
                            Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

After reading a couple of your posts with all the "ha ha" and "lols," I'm finding it very difficult to have any sympathy whatsoever for you. If it's courtesy and professionalism you desire, then it's time to grow up and put "your big boy pants on." -partial quote from Smurfette The "lols" and "ha ha" must go, as you still sound like a 15 yr. old texting his/her friend. Your first post sounds very smarmy, as though you have a RIGHT to be put out by the PD. That's my opinion as I read your post.
                              Most people fail because they trade what they want MOST, for what they want at the MOMENT.

The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, WHO can know it?
                              -Jeremiah 17:9

Is it any surprise that cops don't trust anyone?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4772 users online. 300 members and 4472 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X