300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Insurance Fraud?

To be to the point, my mother died in August. She was talking about handing her car over to me, but never did. When she died, the car came under the control of my aunt, who is the Executor. Fast forward a bit, my aunt signed the car over to me. One problem, my mom's car insurance is up the first of November. I'm living in Pennsylvania until me and my friend find a house in Maryland. My friend and his family think I should have the car registered in Pennsylvania, along with the car insurance. But when I move to Maryland, after the insurance is up after a year or so, register the car down in Maryland, along with the insurance.

My question is for the time that the car is registered up in Pennsylvania and I'm down in Maryland, isn't that technically "rate evasion" or a form of insurance fraud? Even though I would come and stay at my friends parents house a few times a month?

The last thing I want it to have to worry about that, especially if you have noticed what is in my signature.

Thank you in advance.
    sigpic

I'm the gatekeeper, are you the keymaster?

Servicing what feels like one giant Mental Hospital......... going on 3 years.

Vehicle should be registered and insured in the state where it is primarily parked/garaged. If you're planning on moving the car into Maryland, register & insure it there soon after you do. In Virginia it's the law to do so within 30 days. MD's probably similar.

It looks like you're applying for an LEO position. Don't let a stupid thing like not properly registering your car get in the way of that.
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Register it in PA and change registration and ins when you establish residency in another state. On a related subject, we DQd a guy for knowingly filing a false insurance claim.

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
        Vehicle should be registered and insured in the state where it is primarily parked/garaged. If you're planning on moving the car into Maryland, register & insure it there soon after you do. In Virginia it's the law to do so within 30 days. MD's probably similar.

It looks like you're applying for an LEO position. Don't let a stupid thing like not properly registering your car get in the way of that.

Thanks. For Maryland, it's 60 days. You think there would be a problem with the Insurance company since I will be screwing with the policy that they are going to be drawing up?
        Last edited by Sense0Purpose1; 10-22-2009, 03:50 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Be a bigger problem with them if you're not up front about who the car actually belongs to and where both the owner and the car reside.

This may end up costing a few dollars more in the short term but that's better than having it come back to haunt you with either your application(s) or future insurance needs/claims.

Call the insurer and fully explain what's up. They'll tell you what they'll require. I'm not certain but common sense dictates your mother's policy ended upon her passing. I would also think you're not bound to any policy she entered into once the car is re-registered to you. Don't expect the same rates your mother had. They may not even agree to insure you. So if you're not satisfied with the terms they offer, you could go insurance shopping.

I'm sorta shooting from the hip on this one but it seems logical to me.

By the way....my condolences on your loss.
          sigpic
          Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
          And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/
            Last edited by Nobody; 11-06-2009, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
              if your state of residence is PA, register it there.

Once you officially move to Md, register it there within the time alloted (usually 30-60 days, check Md. DMV laws)

in red - no - do not just leave it registered up in PA once you move
              Got it then, it will be done. Thank you everyone for your help.
              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4641 users online. 254 members and 4387 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X