300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So are cops allowed to do this?

Ok, I have been pulled over by this one cop in my town 2 times now for loud exhaust. The first time I understood the reason for it, because it was too loud at that time. The second time I had the same exhaust on my car but I was only doing 24-25 mph in a 25 zone and he pulled me over for the same excuse and I got caught with a few things. This is the only cop that has every pulled me over for this reason, I have talked to a few other officers and they said it was a BS reason really. Anyways I know for a fact that my exhaust was not loud the 2nd time he pulled me over because I did the same thing to a group of friends and they said it was not loud at all. I did the same thing again with my father and he said that it was not loud at all again. This cop has had it out for me, everyone in the town does not like him at all because he writes so many tickets. My question is can he do this just for the hell of it or can I fight it and get my charges dropped for what he caught me with since it was a BS reason. (Also he followed me all the way down this road for about a mile before he finally pulled me over for it when i was doing the same speed/loudness the whole way!!!) Thank you.

If there's a statute limiting exhaust sound levels and your car exceeded it, the cite isn't BS. We have no idea if in fact that's the case or not, despite your family and friends saying it's not loud.

Comment

Without second guessing what the officer did, in short yes. An officer doesn't have to pull you over immediately where the violation occurs or is observed. It is their option. Since most of us here don't know the loudness standards for your state, it would be very difficult to actually say yes or no as to whether your exhaust is too loud. Here's a really stupid question, after receiving your first citation for your loud exhaust, why didn't you get the exhaust fixed so it complied with the law?
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

he pulled me over for the same excuse and I got caught with a few things
        Clearly you didnt fix the violation so whats the problem? A ticket generally means you did something wrong or there's an equipment violation. Just because its BS dosent make it legal.

And what else did you get caught with? Did he take your bag of weed too?

Get a clue kid. Take the 3 foot wing off your civic and lose the gigantic fart pipe. But since you have such a great attitude, you wont listen to any of us either.

Comment

I am from Ohio and i dont know the laws for loud exhaust which is why I got on here, also the reason I did not get the exhaust fixed was because I was planning on getting rid of the car this past week but the guy was a no show so I had to keep it. I just need to know why this cop is the only cop that has ever stopped me for it. In my opinion he just wanted to pull me over because he does it to anyone in the town! He kind of studdered also when I asked the reason why he was pulling me over.

Comment

Here is a thought........go to MIDAS and have a stock muffler, tailpipe, exhaust system installed on your vehicle and you won't be stopped for a loud exhaust and get caught with stuff in your possession. Cool?
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by DevonN09 View Post
              Ok, I have been pulled over by this one cop in my town 2 times now for loud exhaust. The first time I understood the reason for it, because it was too loud at that time. The second time I had the same exhaust on my car but I was only doing 24-25 mph in a 25 zone and he pulled me over for the same excuse and I got caught with a few things. This is the only cop that has every pulled me over for this reason, I have talked to a few other officers and they said it was a BS reason really. Anyways I know for a fact that my exhaust was not loud the 2nd time he pulled me over because I did the same thing to a group of friends and they said it was not loud at all. I did the same thing again with my father and he said that it was not loud at all again.

Maybe you can get them to testify at your trial.
              This cop has had it out for me, everyone in the town does not like him at all because he writes so many tickets.

Hey I REALLY like this Cop! You? Not so much, you're an IDIOT
              My question is can he do this just for the hell of it or can I fight it and get my charges dropped for what he caught me with since it was a BS reason. (Also he followed me all the way down this road for about a mile before he finally pulled me over for it when i was doing the same speed/loudness the whole way!!!) Thank you.
              Glad to be of assistance!

Regards,

RKT
              "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Sounds like the officer is very good at his job...he knows his area, and knows who has "stuff" they are not supposed to have. Good job, Officer!!
                sigpic
                Originally posted by Smurfette
                Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                Originally posted by DAL
                You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

What did you get caught with?

Officers are allowed to use a seemingly BS reason to stop a car and further investigate for other crimes. Hence you get stopped for an exhaust violation and end up with some sort of criminal charge in the end.

Exhausts cannot produce excess noise, smoke, gas, or fumes in Ohio.

If the exhaust was too loud the first time, and its the same car and muffler as before, the second stop is good too. Sounds like you just need to handle your business and move on.

Comment

[http://forums.officer.com/forums/
                    Last edited by Nobody; 11-06-2009, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Another dissatisfied customer. Yet another "student" who feels the cops, or at least one cop, have it in for them. But, we desire to be of service on this site, so here are some thoughts for Mr. Devon. Research your state's Motor Vehicle Laws,especially as they pertain to mufflers. Make the previously suggested trip to Midas, or another muffler shop,and have proper equipment installed on your vehicle. Don't forget the guarantee which is honored nationwide, and is good for as long as you own the car. Finally, if you feel that the citation(s) was written in error, was unjustified, or this one particular cop is picking on you, take the case to court. The Judge is bound to be impressed with your whining, your friends who are "expert" witnesses, and your claims of victimization at the hands of the cops.

Comment

So you got stopped, didn't get it fixed and got stopped AGAIN. Now you're upset that he got you holding? Should have fixed the car, he probably wouldn't have stopped you.

Comment

You should fight the ticket. Tell the judge everything you told us, bring in everyone in town as a character witness and take it up to the Supreme Court with appeals. THAT'll show that cop who's who....

NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Loud exhausts. We call 'em "fart cans" down here.

Very irritating, unless its from a v8

Comment

http://66.161.141.185/orc/4513.22

4513.22 Mufflers.

(A) Every motor vehicle and motorcycle with an internal combustion engine shall at all times be equipped with a muffler which is in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, by-pass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway. Every motorcycle muffler shall be equipped with baffle plates.

No person shall own, operate, or have in the person’s possession any motor vehicle or motorcycle equipped with a device for producing excessive smoke or gas, or so equipped as to permit oil or any other chemical to flow into or upon the exhaust pipe or muffler of such vehicle, or equipped in any other way to produce or emit smoke or dangerous or annoying gases from any portion of such vehicle, other than the ordinary gases emitted by the exhaust of an internal combustion engine under normal operation.

(B) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in section 4513.99 of the Revised Code.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

---

Garbage or not, loud exhaust is excellent PC to stop a car and arrest someone for catching people with "a few things".
                              Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6401 users online. 352 members and 6049 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X