Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I be a cop?

Hi all,

I've always wanted to apply to become a cop but I currently have a couple obstacles in my way. Any input would be appreciated.

(1) My health. I have very bad gastrointestinal problems which include very bad acid reflux/GERD and very painful stomach issues including ulcers. This causes me to have bouts of stomach pain and cramping that's almost unbearable. The acid gets so bad at times it stops me cold and I can only clench my chest in agony as I wait for it to stop. I understand there are treatments for this, but none of which I can afford right mow. Would this stop me from being a cop?

(2) And two. I have a lot of tickets. I'm not proud of this, but it doesn't make it go away. I've had my license suspended twice and I think over the years I've accumuated about 8 to 10 points on my license. Some of which should be coming off soon as I've been told they only stay on there for 3 years. I've never done anything criminal, just stuff like no seatbelt and minor speeding. But it seems as if I have a pretty heavy lead foot.

I mean aside from that I'm not a bad person. I'm a family man, I have really good moral values, I'm a hard worker, loyal, honest. I have no doubt that I could pass the physical and psych tests with flying colors.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks fellas (and ladies).

When it all boils down to it, the final answer would have to come from a department that you send in an application to.

1. I don't know. Your medical problems might have an influence on your effectiveness as a LEO, but only a department medical doctor can evaluate your condition.

2. Slow down, and wait three years since the date of your last ticket.

Keep in mind that your educational, employment, and drug history will also be evaluated by the department you're applying to. It takes much more than desire to do this job.
    Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
    MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
    Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
    Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
    Various Graduate Credits - UoP
    MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
    DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyCop View Post
      When it all boils down to it, the final answer would have to come from a department that you send in an application to.

1. I don't know. Your medical problems might have an influence on your effectiveness as a LEO, but only a department medical doctor can evaluate your condition.

Keep in mind that your educational, employment, and drug history will also be evaluated by the department you're applying to. It takes much more than desire to do this job.

Thank you for the good response, officer.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyCop View Post

1. I don't know as well. Only a doctor would be able to say.

2. I don't know if 3 years will be enough time to pass with a license that has been suspended twice, plus currently having points. The good news it will vary from department to department as to how much "weight" they put on your driving history. I personally wouldn't hire you due to your driving record alone.

3. Good luck! DRIVE BETTER! OBEY THE LAWS! and eventually you could be answering questions on officer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post

2. I don't know if 3 years will be enough time to pass with a license that has been suspended twice, plus currently having points. The good news it will vary from department to department as to how much "weight" they put on your driving history. I personally wouldn't hire you due to your driving record alone.
          I know plenty of officers that were hired after receiving their fare share of tickets. Some had to wait a few years, because of our insurance requirements. That's one of the main reasons we put a lot of weight on moving violations.

Some investigators I know view applicants with excessive tickets as immature, and unable to follow instruction. Others do not. It mainly depends on the department.
          Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
          - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
          MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
          Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
          Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
          Various Graduate Credits - UoP
          MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
          DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

You need to consider the medical aspect of it for yourself. First off, stress can cause acid reflex and if you're already suffering from something as bad as you say, the stress of being a cop would only make it worse. You don't need to be in the middle of a fight and you experience a bout of this pain where you've got to stop to catch your breath. While your condition might not stop you from being a cop, you need to consider whether your condition will allow you to maintain the proper level of safety and control.

A lot of tickets will definately be a hinderance to you. Time since the last ticket will be your friend. The longer you go without another ticket the better. As others have posted, do yourself a favor and stop doing whatever it is your doing to get them. I know departments that will automatically disqualify you for one speeding ticket over 20 MPH for a period of 5 years.

Comment

Before thinking about being a cop, you need to see a doctor. Long term GERD can have terrible effects on your throat, such as cancer, if it isn't treated. GERD can be easily treated through acid blockers. Go see a doctor.

Comment

You taking anything for the reflux?

Comment

If you're a family man, what do they think? Surely you asked your wife about this major change in career?

I would suggest doing a ride along. Its gonna open your eyes up to the whole world of law enforcement. It isnt just sitting around waiting for speeders.

Comment

I'm not medically qualified to answer your first question, but my sense is that your condition, as you describe it could be a problem. Notice, I said could be, not would be. Re: the traffic citations: The Department from which I'm retired, takes a long hard look at previous traffic violations. In the official language of the Department: "Any pattern of traffic violations which evidence a disregard or disrespect for the law, are grounds for Disqualification". As a practical matter, it's probably going to be neccessary for you to have a period of violation free driving. The minimum period will be about three years.Should you decide to apply, take a very close, objective look at an agencie's qualifications/standards. Ask yourself honestly if you meet these. Proceed accordingly.

Comment

I know that my department would at least balk at the two suspensions of your license. I can't say for sure that it would be a deal breaker, but it sure would raise red flags. Over the last few years our department has become very conscientous about driving issues, issuing an increasing amount of discipline for driving infractions of one kind or another.
                      Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                        You taking anything for the reflux?

I was given a 30 day sample of a drug called Aciphex, and it worked wonders. Like a fast acting, long lasting Pepcid AC. Unfortunately, since I'm a private business owner, I do not have medical insurance for myself. A prescription of Aciphex without insurance was somewhere around $200, and there are no generics.

The ironic thing about my situation, being the sole provider for a family of three, is that we just get by with what I bring home, but the state says I make too much money to qualify for any type of free insurance. So I'm boned.

To the person that mentioned the ride along, I did highly consider that, if for no other reason than I think it'd be fun. A good friend of mine is a Florida State Trooper, he just recently got hired, maybe about 3-4 months ago, and is stationed in the Vero area. Unfortunately I've lost contact with him and have no way to get a hold of him. I was considering just going up there one day and asking some Troopers that I see about him, but I figured that'd be out of line.

I was also considering volunteering for the Sheriff's office, you know like one of those people you see driving the community police vehicles with the yellow lights, they assist at accidents, public events, etc, etc. But I'm thinking my driving record might hinder me on that aspect as well. Which is unfortunate, because if I could volunteer for a year or two with the Sheriff's office, that'd be a nice thing to see on my resume.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Comment

Work through your doctor and/or pharmacy. There are plans that get people meds they need when they can't afford them. The drug company writes them off.

Comment

We have volunteers where I work at and they do actually help us out quite a bit with disabled vehicles, crashes, traffic control and patrol requests and stuff like that. Its not a bad idea to volunteer but its mostly retirees who needed to get out of the house.

Would you be able to go to an academy for 5 or 6 months and still get your bills paid?

Comment

automatic DQ for the suspensions here..
                              "I am... reminded of something Cardinal Wolsey once told me. That I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him". Sir Thomas More

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6618 users online. 360 members and 6258 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X