300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How am I Doing So Far?

Hey everyone, I've been on the forum for a little while now and figured I would join the "What are my chances of becoming a LEO" group. I'm turning 19 at the end of the month. I'm doing a lot better academic wise in college than in high school, had about an 80 GPA in high school and if I could estimate in college I would be right around a B+/A- even though I'm half way through my first semester of my first year in college. I've had a part time job since May of 2007 and plan on sticking with that job till I graduate college. I have not been arrested, pulled over or any other type of contact with police (knock on wood ). So here is what may hurt me: Yes, I hit the MJ phase while in high school, hovering right around 10 times (give or take) at 1 to 2 times a month, last time used was late September or early August of '08 right before my senior year in high school (I was 17). Yes, bad choices were clearly made, I'm past it and I've moved on, time to take the next steps in life. By the time I graduate college (CJ major by the way) in 2013, it will be right around 5 years, a little shy (depending on when I start the hiring process) of the last use, I will be 22 by the time I graduate. That's the biggest factor that would have an impact on me right now. I was in a car accident (very minor, second day after I bought my truck ) while leaving work on Aug 3, 2007, older woman took a left at a stop sign while I was driving straight across (I had no stop sign) and she hit me near the bumper. Police came out to swap the info and took record of the incident. We swapped the info, nothing ever happend.

I also went on a couple ride alongs with my local PD that I really enjoyed last Christmas break from school, all I can say is that it was some fun stuff

Thank you for reading this lengthy post, just looking for your input/advice/opinions as I'm pursuing my degree and a career in law enforcement.
    Last edited by NextGenOfc; 10-19-2009, 05:51 PM.

Your MJ use could be an issue for some departments but it wouldn't be an issue in my department due to the time lapse if you were to wait the 5 years you are talking about. The 4 year degree will be positive. Keep your job and don't get into trouble which includes drugs, booze and women. You should be just fine. Keep your grades up and see about volunteering at your local LE agency or for Big Brothers or something like that.
    Last edited by sigcopper; 10-19-2009, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
      Your MJ use could be an issue for some departments but it wouldn't be an issue in my department due to the time lapse if you were to wait the 5 years you are talking about. The 4 year degree will be positive. Keep your job and don't get into trouble which includes drugs, booze and women. You should be just fine. Keep your grades up and see about volunteering at your local LE agency or for Big Brothers or something like that.
      Thank you for your thoughts. There is no doubt that I will keep the positives going. That is a good idea about the volunteer work, I may actually consider that when I'm back home and look around for something either in my hometown or neighboring towns. Here at college I will eventually try to get a student patrol job once the year progresses and I get fully used to the new lifestyle of living on campus.

Comment

Yes just keep your grades up and keep doing what you're doing and you will have a good shot when you graduate.

Comment

Thank you for your responses officers, I appreciate it.

Comment

yea, stay out of trouble and youll be good.

dont sweat the MJ use, just be honest about it when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by damode1985 View Post
              yea, stay out of trouble and youll be good.

dont sweat the MJ use, just be honest about it when the time comes.
              Definitely, anything that's asked of me I will have no problem disclosing.

On a side note, I may be taking a fighting/self-defense class with one of my friends during next summer. I figured this would be something good to know ahead of time. I'm thinking of going with jiu-jitsu, I'm sure some or many of you have taken some type of defense class, is jiu-jitsu good to practice or is there another type that's also good?

(I also need to put some muscle on, I'm only like 5'7" and almost 140lbs ) I have a solid 4 years or so, so there is plenty of time too.

Thank you
              Last edited by NextGenOfc; 10-19-2009, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Your marijuana use is a bit much, however good work history, as well as your bachelors degree will go a very long way to showing that you have matured.

If you run into obstacles because of this when you graduate, go back to school for your masters.
                Education ... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
                - G. M. Trevelyan

B.S. Business Administration - Texas A&M 1990
                MPA - University of Texas Dallas 2004
                Graduate Certificate in Criminal Justice - American Military University 2006
                Graduate Certificate in Accounting - University of Dallas 2008
                Various Graduate Credits - UoP
                MA Christian Ministry Chaplaincy Dallas Baptist University 20%
                DPA Valdosta State 30%

Comment

Good that your working on the physical aspect of the job. Dont forget the other aspect.

Remember to take advantage of all the essays and writing tips your profs. give you. You do your damage in this job with your pen, not with your tiger punch.

Also look into learning the basics of maybe spanish, or a different language you will most likely encounter in the area you are interested in working.

Originally posted by NextGenOfc View Post
                  Definitely, anything that's asked of me I will have no problem disclosing.

On a side note, I may be taking a fighting/self-defense class with one of my friends during next summer. I figured this would be something good to know ahead of time. I'm thinking of going with jiu-jitsu, I'm sure some or many of you have taken some type of defense class, is jiu-jitsu good to practice or is there another type that's also good?

(I also need to put some muscle on, I'm only like 5'7" and almost 140lbs ) I have a solid 4 years or so, so there is plenty of time too.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by damode1985 View Post
                    Remember to take advantage of all the essays and writing tips your profs. give you. You do your damage in this job with your pen, not with your tiger punch.
                    Yeah, I'm always doing some type of writing assignment, whether it's for a CJ class or English. I can go to a writing tutor for any writing assignment that I think I need help on. Plus, my English professor makes us go to a writing tutor every now and then in order to get some help with our writing skills so I definitely take that to my advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
                      Keep your grades up and see about volunteering at your local LE agency or for Big Brothers or something like that.
                      Actually, what types of different volunteer work are usually offered? I'm sure every dept. is different and some may not offer any at all but what are some different volunteer jobs that some LE agencies have to offer?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3794 users online. 225 members and 3569 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X