300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping an Officer/Deputy

I was driving to the bank today and was riding behind a Sheriff's Deputy, when all of a sudden he turns hard left and jumps on the brakes. He pulled halfway into a driveway and this kid sees him, jumps, and takes off running. The Deputy jumps out of the car and a foot chase ensues. Another Deputy was parked further down the street, so I pulled over because I knew she was going to turn around and chase this kid too (I didn't want to get in her way). I continued my trip to the bank and I got to thinking: if the other Deputy wasn't there and I turned around and tried to see if I could help the Deputy, is that wrong? Do you guys appreciate the public's help in a deal like this, or is it best to stay out of the way?
    Originally Posted by Law100
    Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Yes, we appreciate the help--in certain circumstances!

In a situation like the one you describe, it's best to stay clear. A non-violent fleeing offender is the focus, and depending on the reason they are wanted, we'll probably have a lot of resources on the way to get the person. Plus, if they're fleeing they MIGHT be armed, and a foot pursuit might well turn into a gun battle.

Now, let's say you're watching an officer contact someone, and it turns into a fight. If you see the officer getting the worst of it and you jump in and help, I guarantee it will be MUCH appreciated.

Comment

Who's to say that the "citizen" that is magically there to help me capture this person isn't a friend of the criminal and is there to either help him escape, or hurt me? Not that you are, please don't take it that way. The point is the officer doesn't know who you are and until he does (which he doesn't have time to ID you in this situation), you are just as big a threat. Please stay clear.
      Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

+1 for rdep..
        If Im cgasing someone and I see a civilian running behind me, I will deal with that "threat" first....(guy running after ME)
        That takes time away from me getting the real bad guy.
        I agree with powderman, too.......If a fight ensues and I NEED help, then by all means, hop in.

Its a tricky area, so be careful
        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Absolutely great prior replies. Great advice. Can't top them.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. It was the first time I saw a foot pursuit in progress, so it was pretty exciting to see. I understand better the way that you would see it if I jumped out and tried to be a super-hero or something. Thanks!
            Originally Posted by Law100
            Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

Stay clear unless I am immobilized.

Comment

I had to chase some guy onto our busiest street today, and it turned into a fight in the middle of the road. I had to spray him, nobody stopped and help me fight him, but they were kind enough to stop driving and not run me over. I got him in cuffs pretty quickly too, and he never got but 1 punch in (which started the whole thing) so thats probally why they didnt help.

Comment

Too bad he didnt get clipped by a passing motorist...thats always a shame..when the bad guy is running and then decides it wise to run into traffic...tee hee
                  "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                  The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                  sanitizer

Comment

As long as the "passing" motorist is not driving code to help it is hilariious.

Comment

indeed, you are correct!
                      HA
                      The Tick

sanitizer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6166 users online. 344 members and 5822 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X