300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juvenile records

I have a question. When I was about 16 I was arrested for aggravated assault, theft 3rd degree, and trespassing on a school. Well I went to court and had the agg assault kicked out so I was left with 2 charges. I had 6 months probation, and community service. Well I always wanted to be a Police officer and I wanted to know if that would affect me getting hired or into the academy? I am now 21 year old

It would depend on the agency.
    What did you do???.....Agg assault could mean you pointed a gun at someone or tried to run them over in a car.....In any case, its a felony arrest, most agencies frown upon that.
    "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
    The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
    sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
    Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Your record will be fully viewed by your BI. It will hurt your chances.

Comment

Originally posted by miamik6 View Post
        I have a question. When I was about 16 I was arrested for aggravated assault, theft 3rd degree, and trespassing on a school. Well I went to court and had the agg assault kicked out so I was left with 2 charges. I had 6 months probation, and community service. Well I always wanted to be a Police officer and I wanted to know if that would affect me getting hired or into the academy? I am now 21 year old
        As has been noted, Aggravated Assualt is a Felony Charge. The circumstances would have to be fully disclosed, and evaluated by the agency to which you apply. 3rd Degree Theft goes directly to an integrity issue(s), and again would have to be evaluated by the Department. Trespassing would be the least serious of the charges you mentioned, but again, the circumstances would have to be evaluated. Juvenile charges are "adjudicated" by the Juvenile Court, often with more flexibility than in an Adult charge. Still, the very serious nature of the charges is what will be a potential issue for you. The "Agg Assault" regardless of the disposition, will loom as a potential major obstacle to your employment as a Police Officer. Understand that your Juvenile Court records are fully accessible to a Background Investigator. My sense is that you're facing an uphill fight in being hired. This is especially true, given the current amount of candiates who are of free of any issues of the type you've mentioned. My suggestion is that you speak with a Recruiter or HR Person at an agency you're interested in. See if it's worth your time or the Department's for you to apply.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that a felony is an automatic out. I thought a person with a felony could not carry a firearm in the US. Just what I thought. Maybe someone knows more.

http://felonyguide.com/Felony-Gun-Laws.php
          Decided against NYPD
          Wasted my time with that

Amtrak PD Exam 8/07 Passed
          Interview 2/19/09 Passed
          Written Psych 2/19/09 Passed
          BI "Blue Book" Turned in 2/23
          Oral Psych 3/11/09 Passed
          BI Meeting 10/04/09- BI Complete
          Medical ?
          Academy ?

Comment

Originally posted by BMAC8411 View Post
            Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that a felony is an automatic out. I thought a person with a felony could not carry a firearm in the US. Just what I thought. Maybe someone knows more.

http://felonyguide.com/Felony-Gun-Laws.php
            In California, juveniles cannot be "convicted" of a felony (unless they are tried and sentenced as an adult), they are "adjudicated." For this reason a juvenile felony is typically not an automatic disqualifier on a background. Juveniles also don't get lifetime firearms prohibitions, although for certain offenses they can have one until age 30.
            He who feels punctured must once have been a bubble. --Lao Tzu

Comment

I had adjudication withheld on the charges Also The Aggravated Assualt charge was dissmissed due to lack of evedance ( the judge rules that it was a accdent, I did not have any intent to try to hurt the person in the car) . Heres what happened. When I am about 16 year old I made a mistake of using a golf cart at a school I was doing Volunteer Community service hours at. In the course of using the gold cart to pick up trash, I accidentally hit a mini van park on the side of the road. Later I received a call from the Miami Dade School Police officer asking me to come into his office. I compiled and was arrested after explaining my side of the story. I went to court and had adjudication withheld. After serving community service and probation
              Last edited by miamik6; 10-20-2009, 06:47 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

thats not agg assault. somethings either missing or ....dare i say....trolling???
                "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                  thats not agg assault. somethings either missing or ....dare i say....trolling???
                  Yeah....cant recall anytime in my career someone was charged with any sort of assault for getting into an accident in a parking lot (short of intentionally trying to run someone over).

To the OP, whats the full story?

Comment

Originally posted by theie View Post
                    In California, juveniles cannot be "convicted" of a felony (unless they are tried and sentenced as an adult), they are "adjudicated." For this reason a juvenile felony is typically not an automatic disqualifier on a background. Juveniles also don't get lifetime firearms prohibitions, although for certain offenses they can have one until age 30.
                    Your post is true, as is the statement that a juvenile felony is not an "Automatic Disqualifier". That said, the circumstances surrounding the felony could very well influence an agency to either DQ, or non-select an applicant.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor1430 View Post
                      Yeah....cant recall anytime in my career someone was charged with any sort of assault for getting into an accident in a parking lot (short of intentionally trying to run someone over).

To the OP, whats the full story?
                      That is the full story. What you guys are saying is so true thats why i said when i went to court, the judge dropped the agg assualt charge. But when your charged with a crime weather coonvected or not it stays on your record. So the agg assualt charge was dropped and was not apart of the final dispo.

Comment

Can Anyone give me a anwser please?

Comment

Originally posted by miamik6 View Post
                          Can Anyone give me a anwser please?
                          Yeah, learn to spell and use proper sentence structure first. Also, stop ending sentences in prepositions. No one can give you an affirmative answer here, talk to the recruiter at the department in which you wish to apply.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4147 users online. 233 members and 3914 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X