X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some crosswalk questions and right-of-way

What consitutes a crosswalk?

The following are what I've seen.

1.) A hashed area with yield signs showing a person in the crosswalk directed at traffic.
    2.) A hashed area with no yield sign.
    3.) A crossing with two solid white lines, no hash.
    4.) No lines, but sidewalks have dips down to street level opposite each other.
    5.) Sidewalk ends on one street and continues on other side but no dips, full curb.

Also is there a difference between a crosswalk and a crossing?
    Does a pedestrian always have legal right-of-way at unregulated crosswalks or crossings?

I gather that if there is a signal (walk/no walk) for pedestrians they ONLY have right of way when 'walk' signal is present.

PS - I am aware that re: right-of-way that a pedestrian will ALWAYS loose the battle of physics
    Last edited by itnstalln; 10-18-2009, 10:29 AM.

Originally posted by itnstalln View Post
    What consitutes a crosswalk?

The following are what I've seen.

1.) A hashed area with yield signs showing a person in the crosswalk directed at traffic.
    2.) A hashed area with no yield sign.
    3.) A crossing with two solid white lines, no hash.
    4.) No lines, but sidewalks have dips down to street level opposite each other.
    5.) Sidewalk ends on one street and continues on other side but no dips, full curb.

Also is there a difference between a crosswalk and a crossing?
    Does a pedestrian always have legal right-of-way at unregulated crosswalks or crossings?

I gather that if there is a signal (walk/no walk) for pedestrians they ONLY have right of way when 'walk' signal is present.

PS - I am aware that re: right-of-way that a pedestrian will ALWAYS loose the battle of physics
    Check the Vehicle Code Definition of a crosswalk for the state you live in. Google is your friend. Very generally, a crosswalk consists of paralell painted lines, across the roadway. When a pedestrian is on the same side of the roadway as your vehicle, is in the designated crosswalk, he has the right of way. The vehicle must yield. Most states also have a requirement which requires that drivers exercise "due care" for pedestrains at all times. Again, check the laws of your state.

Comment

Here is the definition in CA. Section 275 of the CA Vehicle Code and the laws regarding pedestrians................

Crosswalk

275. "Crosswalk" is either:

(a) That portion of a roadway included within the prolongation or connection of the boundary lines of sidewalks at intersection where the intersecting roadways meet at approximately right angles, except the prolongation of such lines from an alley across a street.

(b) Any portion of a roadway distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by lines or other markings on the surface.

Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, there shall not be a crosswalk where local authorities have placed signs indicating no crossing.

Right-of-Way at Crosswalks

21950. (a) The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.

(b) This section does not relieve a pedestrian from the duty of using due care for his or her safety. No pedestrian may suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard. No pedestrian may unnecessarily stop or delay traffic while in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.

(c) The driver of a vehicle approaching a pedestrian within any marked or unmarked crosswalk shall exercise all due care and shall reduce the speed of the vehicle or take any other action relating to the operation of the vehicle as necessary to safeguard the safety of the pedestrian.

(d) Subdivision (b) does not relieve a driver of a vehicle from the duty of exercising due care for the safety of any pedestrian within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection.

Amended Sec. 8, Ch. 833, Stats. 2000. Effective January 1, 2001.

Vehicles Stopped for Pedestrians

21951. Whenever any vehicle has stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.

Right-of-Way on Sidewalk

21952. The driver of any motor vehicle, prior to driving over or upon any sidewalk, shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian approaching thereon.

Pedestrians Outside Crosswalks

21954. (a) Every pedestrian upon a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway so near as to constitute an immediate hazard.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a vehicle from the duty to exercise due care for the safety of any pedestrian upon a roadway.

Amended Ch. 1015, Stats. 1971. Operative May 3, 1972.

Crossing Between Controlled Intersections

21955. Between adjacent intersections controlled by traffic control signal devices

Pedestrian on Roadway

21956. (a) No pedestrian may walk upon any roadway outside of a business or residence district otherwise than close to his or her left-hand edge of the roadway.

(b) A pedestrian may walk close to his or her right-hand edge of the roadway if a crosswalk or other means of safely crossing the roadway is not available or if existing traffic or other conditions would compromise the safety of a pedestrian attempting to cross the road.

Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 833, Stats. 2000. Effective January 1, 2001.
      Most states have laws which are similar in their design and intent.
      Last edited by SgtCHP; 10-18-2009, 01:10 PM.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

You had better check the vehicle code/statutes for your home state. After 30 years with a CA agency, I'm standing firmly with SgtCHP. I was taught that a crosswalk existed anywhere the streets met at a 45 degree angle...regardless of painted lines being present. The only time one didn't exist is when there was a sign prohibiting peds crossing.
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

From Code of VA, this was the best I could find.
          § 46.2-100. Definitions.
          "Crosswalk" means that part of a roadway at an intersection included within the connections of the lateral lines of the sidewalks on opposite sides of the highway measured from the curbs or, in the absence of curbs, from the edges of the traversable roadway; or any portion of a roadway at an intersection or elsewhere distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by lines or other markings on the surface.
          So if I am interpreting this correctly... At any intersection where there are sidewalks on opposite sides of the road, an imaginary continuation of the sidewalk lines connecting the sidewalks is made and a 'crosswalk' in contained within the lines and between the curbs. If curbs aren't there, then the edge of the roadway marks the boundaries. Additionally, at any point where there are surface markings indicating a pedestrian crossing, it is a crosswalk regardless of the above limitations.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5470 users online. 306 members and 5164 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X