300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knives on campus.

Dont jump down my throat just yet, please....

According to my campus' policies and procedures...

"Compliance with Indiana State Laws: Violation of these laws is also against College rules and violators may also be prosecuted according to Indiana law....

Possession of firearms... and other weapons, dangerous chemicals, or any explosive or explosive device is prohibited on College property or at any College sponsored activity held elsewhere...."

But IN law states

"Possession of a knife on school property
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon."

If a student possesses a knife on college property, and they don't intend for it to be a weapon, would you still be able to prosecute? Or is it just a violation of campus rules?

I don't carry a knife in the building, but I do have one locked in my car, which is ok according to IN law. Would you, as a police officer, say I should be ok carrying a knife in the building, or would you say its a bad move? I know several students who do carry a knife in the building, but Ive always been afraid of getting arrested for it...
    "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Stop and we'll shoot!"
    Dilbert: "Stop AND we'll shoot? If you're gonna shoot, why should we stop?"
    Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

The definition has nothing to do with the intent of the person possessing the knife! It is inclusive. The definition primarily has to do with the intent of the DESIGN.

If you are carrying a pocket knife and keep it within your pocket, probably not to big of an issue; however, if you are carrying a sheath knife on your belt, that is another story and is definitely an issue.

"Possession of a knife on school property
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:

(1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and

(2) is intended to be used as a weapon."
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I didnt think of it that way... the knives in question here are all folding pocket knives, ~3" or less, and all just clipped in a pocket.
      "...and the taking of a life is murder. And the punishment for murder is.... well it varies from state to state and by race, but...." - Homer J Simpson.

Police: "Well, it would be alot easier for us. The targets at the shooting range don't run."

R.I.P. Momma Coleman. You may have left our world, but you have NOT left our hearts.

Comment

Call the campus police department and ask. I believe SgtCHP explained it well. There is an obvious difference between the intended use (by design) between a swiss army knife and a ka-bar. Ask yourself this, am I carrying this because I use it as a tool frequently, or am I carrying it for "defense". If your answer is the latter, then the knife is probably not okay to carry on campus. But again, call the campus police and ask them, they are the authority.

Comment

In Indiana, you could be charged. Would you be? Probably not by a municipal police agency, but many college agencies might file charges just for the hell of it.

The intent of the person doesn't matter. I carried a pocket knife throughout college and kept it in my pocket the whole time and never had an issue. So did many of my friends and many other people on campus. If you're carrying something small you should be fine, if you're carrying a sword...probably not.
          Originally posted by K40
          To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
          ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Does IN define a "college" and a "School" as the same type property? Not being in IN I don't know, but Texas defines the two differently.
            Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

Its best to be safe....you dont carry one...its just locked in your car, so dont worry too much. Be safe and just follow the rules...
              Kinda like where open carry of firearms is allowed but a business has a "no firearms" sign at the door...cant carry it inside
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Don't confuse your intent with the intent of the device. A knife is a knife and is made to cut things. You can't change that.

Your intent will have ramifications for other laws you may break.

And that law says on school property, not just in the buildings. With today's litigation happy society its best you comply with the law to the letter. School's have ZERO tolerance for this kind of stuff with good reason. Save yourself some serious trouble and get rid of the knife. I'm certain you know people in the school that would love to see you get into trouble or are just paranoid enough to turn you in.

As mentioned above, the definition of "school" by statue (meaning its in the law book) is also important.
                Last edited by wirefire2; 10-16-2009, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddurkof View Post
                  Does IN define a "college" and a "School" as the same type property? Not being in IN I don't know, but Texas defines the two differently.
                  They're the same.
                  Originally posted by K40
                  To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                  ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post

And that law says on school property, not just in the buildings.
                    This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
                    (1) if:....
                    or
                    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.

Should be good there.

Thanks for clarifying the "intent" deal... I always took intent as to MY intentions, not what the item was made to do. Sounds like Im better off keeping it locked in the car...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5031 users online. 281 members and 4750 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X