300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple police questions...

Hey guys, just have some random questions I always have wondered about.

What is the rule/law on equipping your personal vehicle with lights and sirens in case of an emergency situation warranting the use in your private car off duty? Are you allowed to have a computer in your private car that does the same thing as in your patrol car (for example, run plates in your private car if you notice somthing suspicious).

When you work for a department that requires partners, can you pick your partner. For example, lets says me and my buddy both get a job at the same department. Can we ask to be partnered up? Not saying thats what I want to do, just asking a general question.

When offduty, are you required to always carry a weapon on you at all times? I have heard both that you are and that you aren't.

Are there any places that hire at 18 years old? Most places I research are 21 and I don't want to wait 3 years!

Thanks guys.

Off topic****Is it a freaking full moon tonight?****

Sorry had to get that off my chest...

Now let's see when off duty our personal vehicles have no lights bells or whistles, we leave that for the guys actually getting paid at that time.

Partner assignments are done by the agency and will vary from place to place. In fact most agencies in the nation work one man cars.

Off duty carry may or may not be mandated, again your mileage will vary from dept to dept. Most cops however strongly recommend it.

I personally don't know of any agency that hires for a fully sworn position at 18, the big reason being MATURITY.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Ok...in order

We aren't allowed to write tickets etc off duty. If there is a driver who needs to be pulled over, we can call it in and let the guys in uniform and on duty handle it. This translates to: we aren't allowed to install emergency equipment in our personal vehicles. I can't think of a reason why I would either. Makes you a target when you are with your family.

Most all of our cars are one man, however, once in a while guys will double up or be assigned to an area that needs extra attention. The Sgt.'s usually let them pick who they do it with. There aren't really any permanent two man cars though.

When off duty, we are required to carry our weapon per department policy, and we are not allowed to drink to excess, which would render us unfit for duty in case an emergency came up. we have to be able to report to our district and work at the drop of a hat and be fit for duty. Doesn't happen often though that we are called on days off, but that is different for Detectives.

And lastly, I don't know of any departments that hire under 21 for a full sworn police position (earliest is hiring those who will turn 21 by the time of testing for certification and the end of the academy) and I have only seen a very few 21 year olds get hired. This might be different in other parts of the country, but that's the way it is in Colorado.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by Shaidon; 10-15-2009, 10:57 PM.
      I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Double post, sorry.
        I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

And lastly, I don't know of any departments that hire under 21 for a full sworn police position (earliest is hiring those who will turn 21 by the time of testing for certification and the end of the academy) and I have only seen a very few 21 year olds get hired. This might be different in other parts of the country, but that's the way it is in Colorado.
          We can hire at 19 in NH (I worked with a 19yo when I first started), but it's very uncommon.
          summer - winter - work

Comment

What is the rule/law on equipping your personal vehicle with lights and sirens in case of an emergency situation warranting the use in your private car off duty?
            No lights, that just doesn't make any sense. We are not firemen.

Are you allowed to have a computer in your private car that does the same thing as in your patrol car (for example, run plates in your private car if you notice somthing suspicious).
            No, in fact it would be against state law.

When you work for a department that requires partners, can you pick your partner. For example, lets says me and my buddy both get a job at the same department. Can we ask to be partnered up? Not saying thats what I want to do, just asking a general question.
            We are a one man car operation. In fact I don't know of a single agency anywhere around that uses two man cars on a regular basis.

Are there any places that hire at 18 years old? Most places I research are 21 and I don't want to wait 3 years!
            PD's here can hire at 20 and SO's must wait until 21. I don't know of anyone less than 25 that has been hired except for one guy that was hired shortly after he turned 20. I still haven't figured that one out for a lot of different reasons and age not being on of them. Take the time as an opportunity to further your education. A two year degree will go a long way, and it doesn't need to be in CJ and would actually recommend against it.

Comment

Federal law also states you need to be 21 to carry a handgun Another reason most departments require the age of 21.

If I catch ya with lights and sirens on your POV I will shoot you out of principle.
              OkieCory

Comment

Are you getting into LE for the right reasons? Join the Military, your old enough. Great experience and helps bunches when getting hired.

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
                  NOBODY - care to share why you've been going back through your posts and replacing them with links and inane statements? Slightly unusual...
                  http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZiPiXEv_Q_...0/****-off.jpg
                  Resq14 --- i fixed your link - check it now and see if that answers your question
                  Last edited by Nobody; 10-19-2009, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Dude - wait a few years. I'm 25, was hired just before I turned 23...looking back, I would definitely not want to have been hired any earlier.

Originally posted by OkieCory View Post
                    Federal law also states you need to be 21 to carry a handgun Another reason most departments require the age of 21.

If I catch ya with lights and sirens on your POV I will shoot you out of principle.
                    ..eh?

Someone had better tell NH, then. And the military.
                    summer - winter - work

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
                      NOBODY - care to share why you've been going back through your posts and replacing them with links and inane statements? Slightly unusual...
                      http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZiPiXEv_Q_...0/****-off.jpg
                      Resq14 --- i fixed your link - check it now and see if that answers your question
                      Last edited by Nobody; 10-19-2009, 07:04 AM.

Comment

The thought of 19 year olds with arrest authority scares the crap out of me.
                        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

not in MI. 21 to carry concealed.21 to buy ammo for handgun. 21 to buy from a public store. 18 to buy gun from private seller, still can't by ammo for his own gun until 21.

just a fyi...

Comment

No it doesn't, just requires you to have someone else purchase your ammo. See how logical the law is?
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys. And to the people who question 19 year olds with arresting power, or "if I want to be LE for the right reasons", the 19 year olds that WANT to become LE obviously have some kind of connection/passion with what they want to do. Think about it, its not ordinary for teenagers to want to be a cop let alone like everything cops do for the community. The people who want to do it at a young age are people that obviously have a passion for something.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4517 users online. 299 members and 4218 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X