300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel guns?

Hey guys, I saw something that caught my eye yesterday and I figured I would ask you guys if this is more common than I thought.

Does anyone in your Department still carry wheel guns as a service weapon? maybe reserves?

I stopped at a gas station yesterday, and I was in line when a patrol car pulled up and a female officer walked in with a wheel gun in her holster, I was gonna ask her about it myself, but she was dealing with this idiot showing his *** in the store, and I figured it wasn't the best time to ask...

So, any help here guys?

Depends really, The county I live, there patrol deputies carry glocks or Sigs (i forgot) and the same counties process servers carry wheel guns, just the nature of the beast.

Also, a little advice personally I dont suggest you walking up to any on duty LEO and start questioning them of their particular firearms they are carrying, just starts throwing red flags in our minds.

Comment

I know a female deputy who still carries a wheel gun. Where in west Florida?

Comment

We cannot due to the dept. regulation that states that we have to carry a minmum of 45 rounds of handgun ammo at all times while on duty.

Comment

Escambia County

I understand about asking LEOs about weapons I guess I didn't think about it, it was a side of town I'm not normally on, and I know a good bit of the Deputies by my house, and talk with them often, so weapons are a usual conversation with them.

Comment

Nope!..........
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I like revolvers, but carrying it on duty wouldnt work....ammo considerations mostly and unless your "fanning" it,(rapid "cocking" the hammer) that DA trigger pull is a long one.
              Theres a guy, Jerry Miculek, (sp?), who is amazing with a revolver and is faster and more accurate then nearly anyone with an outomatic...that includes reloads....google him, its pretty cool
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Last edited by BaldOldWhiteGuy; 10-21-2009, 01:41 PM.
                Lighten up Francis!

Comment

Philly PD still has some old timers with wheel guns and swivel holesters....
                  I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

We have a few people on the department who still carry wheel guns. As long as a revolver was your academy issued weapon, you are still allowed to carry one on duty. I would imagine that revolvers will be pretty much a thing of the past on our department within the next 5 to 10 years. Whether or not that is a good thing is a matter of opinion and perspective...
                    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

Most accurate guns i have are the good ol' wheel guns. My 6" .357 I can hit targets at over 100 yards unrested in the 10 ring.

Comment

We got away from the .38's in 1990 and never went back. First it was the Sig P226 and we now carry the Sigpro 2340 in .357.

I have no problems with a revolver, but you can't beat the semi-auto when it comes to the number of rounds you have and ease of re-loading. I still have an old Smith Model 64 stainless that we used to be issued. The one thing about that gun, or most wheel guns for that matter, is that you knew when you pulled the trigger it was gonna go bang. No worries about stovepipes or other malfunctions.

But, to answer your question, no one around here carries revolvers any more.
                        Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I've seen reserves of a local S.O. with revolvers. I carried one for many years.

Comment

If you were on our job before 1991, a revolver is your prescribed duty gun.

Comment

Yes around here many officers carry revolvers. As long as you can qualify with it, it's acceptable for most SO and local departments. Wheel guns are a million times more reliable than any semi-automatic. The single benefit a semi has over a revolver is it's ammo capacity. You don't see any young cops carrying them, but a lot of the old timers still do.

Double action pulls on a revolver is 100 times smoother than any polymer striker fired gun in the market today. S&W polished triggers are like snot on glass for smoothness.

By the way, Jerry Miculek isn't just the fastest revolver shooter living today, he's also one of the best semi-auto pistol shooters. Jerry's from my neck of the woods and watching him is always a thrill, whether he's shooting revolver, semi-auto, rifle or shotgun.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2975 users online. 161 members and 2814 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X