Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a speeding ticket a criminal offense?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a speeding ticket a criminal offense?

After searching for this I couldn't find any other threads about this. Im applying for internships now (CJ major ready to graduate from college but I need an internship). I got a speeding ticket for 80 in a 65 two years ago in North Carolina. After going to court this was reduced to an improper equipment charge.

The question specifically asks "have you ever been arrested by a law enforcement officer or otherwise charged with a criminal offense".

Although I plan to put down exactly what I have with my ticket it is the only thing I have ever been charged with so Id love to be able to say no to being charged with a criminal offense.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by TheMasterpiece View Post
    After searching for this I couldn't find any other threads about this. Im applying for internships now (CJ major ready to graduate from college but I need an internship). I got a speeding ticket for 80 in a 65 two years ago in North Carolina. After going to court this was reduced to an improper equipment charge.

The question specifically asks "have you ever been arrested by a law enforcement officer or otherwise charged with a criminal offense".

Although I plan to put down exactly what I have with my ticket it is the only thing I have ever been charged with so Id love to be able to say no to being charged with a criminal offense.

Thanks in advance
    Most traffic offenses are simply infractions in most states. Although a traffic stop by an officer may be considered a temporary detention, it is not considered an arrest. You are cited and released with your promise to appear at a specific time. When asked on an employment application if you have been arrested, when all you have received is a speeding ticket, the answer would be no.

If you were handcuffed and transported to a court, magistrate or booked into a jail, that would be an arrest. DUI, reckless driving, etc would be arrestable traffic offenses in most states.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Well as I sadly found out I was cited in VA on my way to Florida a long time back for Reckless speeding 82 in a 55.

The officer was nice, gave me a citation with a court date to which I just plead guilty to and mailed in my fine.

Big mistake, it so happens that in Virginia it is a Misd. Offense and now it is part of my criminal record for a speeding ticket!

I found out from an attorney way after I found out that most get reduced to just a speeding ticket and there was nothing I could do now about it.

It has not hindered me from getting a job as a police officer, corrections officer or constable but It always came up and I just explained.

G-man
      1*

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
        Most traffic offenses are simply infractions in most states. Although a traffic stop by an officer may be considered a temporary detention, it is not considered an arrest. You are cited and released with your promise to appear at a specific time. When asked on an employment application if you have been arrested, when all you have received is a speeding ticket, the answer would be no.

If you were handcuffed and transported to a court, magistrate or booked into a jail, that would be an arrest. DUI, reckless driving, etc would be arrestable traffic offenses in most states.

Thank you for your help

Should I specify the speeding ticket I have or should I just leave that off of the application? The followup to the 1st question is "if yes, explain". I want to be fully open and revealing however would it be a negative to include that if not necessary?
        Last edited by TheMasterpiece; 10-13-2009, 09:44 PM.

Comment

In Indiana (and assuming NC is the same) its not a criminal offense, its a civil offense against the state.

No jail time can result, fine only, and the state needs only a preponderance of the evidence instead of beyond a reasonable doubt to convict you.

If its something you CAN get jail time for, even if you didn't, then its a criminal offense. If its a fine only, probably civil.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by TheMasterpiece View Post
            Thank you for your help

Should I specify the speeding ticket I have or should I just leave that off of the application? The followup to the 1st question is "if yes, explain". I want to be fully open and revealing however would it be a negative to include that if not necessary?
            The citation should be listed, as most applications will call for it. Most applications/PHS will have a section for traffic violations, which will be seperate from criminal arrests.

Comment

Originally posted by G-MAN View Post
              Well as I sadly found out I was cited in VA on my way to Florida a long time back for Reckless speeding 82 in a 55.

Big mistake, it so happens that in Virginia it is a Misd. Offense and now it is part of my criminal record for a speeding ticket!
              As I discovered last year in VA any speed 80+ is considered reckless (classified as criminal offense, class I misd. as you know ), as is 20+ any posted limit.

Comment

Back in the 80's I had the same thing with a speeding ticket... Just out of high school I got, what I thought, was just a speeding ticket. Although it had a manditory court appearance, which should have been my first clue, I thought it was just a speeding ticket. Taking responsibility for my actions, I went to court, pled guilty and paid a $60 fine. No biggie, until I got into backgrounds 6 years later with a PD and they DQ'd me re: not disclosing a misd arrest. Needless to say, I was very suprised.

I challenge the DQ on the basis that I did disclose the incident on my driving record statement. The DQ was overturned and I was later hired as a officer.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                  The citation should be listed, as most applications will call for it. Most applications/PHS will have a section for traffic violations, which will be seperate from criminal arrests.

For some reason there is no traffic violation section for the application, just criminal offense, alcohol, and narcotics use.

I believe Ill just add the speeding ticket under criminal offense to be safe, at least then I have all my bases covered

Comment

You might want to go the NC section and ask there...there are some States where all traffic violations are criminal I believe....here in Arizona anything under 20 mph over the speed limit is civil anything about is a criminal cite and you could be booked into jail for it...more then likely it's just the cite and a promise to appear in court

Comment

Interestingly enough court was not even required I could have just paid the fine but the trooper suggested I go to court so the charge could be taken down to IE.

Also thanks for the suggestion HotSoup.

Comment

Here if you are going 25+ the posted speed limit it is a offense. 24 and under it is a traffic infraction.

Comment

What is it with these female themed posters who are necroposting?
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by elisagrace
                            Hi TheMasterpiece,
                            According to me, A speeding ticket is a civil offense,if it caused no harm to anyone. For related concern, you should hire an expert speeding ticket attorney to handle the ticket offense.

Thanks!!
                            This thread is from 2009............

Comment

Originally posted by tj05 View Post
                              This thread is from 2009............
                              Yep...................

Oh,in Iowa all traffic offenses are criminal in nature
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5884 users online. 315 members and 5569 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X