300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick background question.

Hello everybody, I have been browsing here alot lately as I am getting pretty serious into starting/pursuing a career as a LEO. Ive read pretty much every thread on here concerning what the +'s and -'s are in helping me achieve my ultimate goal. Something that I have not seen mentioned however, it's possible that I overlooked it though, is growing up in the military. My father was an MP in the Marines. We lived right on base in Parris Island for a number of years and he kept a very close routine/schedule at home, as he did at work and it's definitely something that I am thankful for everyday as it has helped me become who I am today. I am in no way, shape, or form trying to make it out to be that I am a Marine, or was in any branch of the military, as I have the utmost respect for anybody who has every served and it's definitely something that I admire. Should this be something that I mention on my application or any other branch of the hiring process? Thanks for any input guys/gals. Stay safe.
    "The greater a man is in power above others, the more he ought to excel them in virtue. None ought to govern who is not better than the governed."

Mention what? That your dad was a marine? That you have a scheduled routine? Actually, it doesn't matter because it doesn't matter. If it should happen to come up in an interview, you could mention it (or not). If you have to write an essay, you might be able to mention it there, but again, it is not that important and really has no bearing in the hiring process. It can provide background on why you are who you are, but that is about it.

Comment

I would tend to think you were off-center if you just threw that down on an applicaiton or other paperwork. It has no bearing on you as an applicant at all. I am also a military brat, and veteran. The only thing growing up with a father in the military gave me was a desire to be in the military. It didn't help me get this job, actually serving did.

PS: Where on the Eastern Shore are you from? I'm from Annapolis originally.
      Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

The fact that your father was/is a Marine has no bearing on how you are going to perceived.

They are not hiring your old man.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I am aware that I cannot and would not solely use growing up in the military in any form of the application process, I was just curious as to if it could be an asset in any way, like I said, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, Just wondering if it mattered. The unanimous decision looks like it would not.
          Last edited by MD_22996; 10-13-2009, 08:34 PM.
          "The greater a man is in power above others, the more he ought to excel them in virtue. None ought to govern who is not better than the governed."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5240 users online. 296 members and 4944 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X