300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding underage consumption

Hello guys, thanks for taking the time to read this. My question is actually in a couple of different parts, so any insights/answers really would be a great help.

I'll explain the situation a bit, with some details. I'm currently 21, working on my LE degree, and I've come to the realization whether this minor consumption would come back to bite me in the butt. I live in MN, I'm sure that information differs by state.

It was freshmen year, finals week. I decided to cut loose (this was before LE was even a career goal) a bit from the stress. Well, like most people who decide to get drunk, I went and decided to go for a stroll. I ended up urinating on the library wall (lol) and was stopped by security on campus. Security called the police, I got breathalyzed, and was given a ticket of some sort.

Like I said earlier, this was about 3 years ago, so I'm kind of fuzzy on the details, so I'm wondering mainly:

How badly does having a underage consumption minor hurt you (I'm sure questions like this get asked all the time, and I'm sure I will probably have a chance to explain, but wondering if they look at this stringently)?

Is there a way to somehow find the information regarding my citation, such as what I blew, etc (or whatever it is called)? I think I remember the Police Officer telling me that this will be off my record when I turn 21? I'm not sure, again, details are fuzzy.

If it helps, I think my ticket was about $275ish (or was it 375?). I was told I have to either go to court or pay the fine, I paid the fine.

Other than a minor traffic accident, that's about it. I'm sure I'll be given the chance to explain myself and how I matured. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this (this actually ended up longer then I thought). Just need some assurance, this thing has been bugging me lately.

Your fine...it is called youthful indiscretion. I had one when I was 17. Just asked about charges, even as a minor...nothing more.

Comment

I'm sure the application process is similar over there and that any prior history must be disclosed. As such, I'm sure that failing to disclose any history, regardless of how minor the incident was, will definitely bite you a lot harder in your fundamental orifice than it would if you made full disclosure.

You may be able to access those records through a Freedom Of Information request (if applicable). When you make disclosure of your history, the agency that you're applying is more likely to obtain thatinfo more readily than yourself.
      Last edited by Bushranger; 10-13-2009, 08:07 AM.
      If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Comment

This minor will not be off your "record". There will always be a record. How is it that you can't recall the fine amount? How old are you know? If it was some time ago you should be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
          This minor will not be off your "record". There will always be a record. How is it that you can't recall the fine amount? How old are you know? If it was some time ago you should be okay.
          I'm 21 right now. It was about 3 years ago, and I lost a lot of the paperwork and information regarding it. It was a bad time in my life, and I was really ashamed of it, so basically I tried everything in my power to try to forget the situation. I realize it isn't "completely" off my record, but I think when I asked the Officer he told me that it should be "gone" once I am 21. I know this doesn't literally mean it poofs and disappears, but just wondering what that meant.

Well, I have no intentions of withholding this information, I plan on making it fully clear on what happened. I'm just wondering if I can call somewhere and find out if I can get the exact info, since I don't want to maybe make it sound like I am downplaying it if I don't remember. I want them to know the details, problem is I can't remember to this day.

Also, I was reading online and it said something about being convicted as a minor or something? I'm sorry, I haven't taken my CJ courses yet, so I'm not sure whether this is possible with a underage consumption in this state.

Thanks again for the fast replies guys!

Comment

The underage poss/cons issue is something I say a lot of us did back in the day. Some got caught, some didn't. There are a few officers I know that had the charge when they were hired. It's something that most agencies will look upon as one of the many dumb decisions you made during that age. They are more concerned with the fact that you disclose and own up to it if it comes up during an interview and/or background investigation. Lying about something as trivial as an underage possession charge says a whole lot more about your character than the offense itself.
            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
              The underage poss/cons issue is something I say a lot of us did back in the day. Some got caught, some didn't. There are a few officers I know that had the charge when they were hired. It's something that most agencies will look upon as one of the many dumb decisions you made during that age. They are more concerned with the fact that you disclose and own up to it if it comes up during an interview and/or background investigation. Lying about something as trivial as an underage possession charge says a whole lot more about your character than the offense itself.
              That's what I figured. Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely try not to hide it in any way possible. I think it is true that a good majority of people in college try the whole "drinking" thing out, and while I don't condone it, nor am I making excuses, I think it's just what a lot of people did at that age like you said.

To be honest, I haven't drank in a long time, and I have long outgrown it, never really understood what the fuss was really

Now I need to figure what I got charged (if that's correct terminology) for, because I think they might have waived that public urination deal, but maybe they didn't? I wish I didn't trash those papers or whatever, could be useful at this moment.

Comment

When called on to do so, disclose the incident truthfully. As long as you disclose it, I don't see it being a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                  When called on to do so, disclose the incident truthfully. As long as you disclose it, I don't see it being a problem.
                  Will do. I know this might be a hard question, but is it possible to call city hall or something and ask for a copy of the citation? I'm really antsy I'll screw this up and tell them maybe less then what I was in trouble for. I don't want to hold anything back, but I wish there was a way I can get what I got ticketed for straightforwardly.

Guys, thanks again for the help. You guys have been immensely helpful!

Comment

Hard to find a college student that doesn't drink. Just disclose it and don't worry about it. You can call the clerk of courts from wherever you were arrested and they can tell you what you were charged with (probably some form of public intox and/or disorderly conduct). Actually, depending on how up to date they are with technology, you might be able to go to the court's website and look it up yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                      Hard to find a college student that doesn't drink. Just disclose it and don't worry about it. You can call the clerk of courts from wherever you were arrested and they can tell you what you were charged with (probably some form of public intox and/or disorderly conduct). Actually, depending on how up to date they are with technology, you might be able to go to the court's website and look it up yourself.
                      Also, that's what I was confused about too. I wasn't arrested in any form, I was just taken aside, I had a chance to explain to the Officer, he breathalyzed me, and then he wrote a ticket and let me go. I was surprised I wasn't arrested or anything, and he even actually let me walk back to my dorm which I found weird...

Hmm, wish I took my CJ class this semester, would explain a lot of things

Comment

I think you making a bigger deal out of this than it is. You can go on line and run your name through the online court records:

http://www.mncourts.gov/default.aspx?page=1927#Required

and find out what the deal is.

Comment

Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
                          I think you making a bigger deal out of this than it is. You can go on line and run your name through the online court records:

http://www.mncourts.gov/default.aspx?page=1927#Required

and find out what the deal is.
                          Oh wow, thanks for that link. I put my name in and a rough date and I found the info! Holy cow thanks a bunch.

Now, here's the information:

12/29/2006
                          Plea
                          1. Liquor-Consumption by persons under 21
                          Guilty
                          12/29/2006
                          Disposition
                          Convicted
                          12/29/2006
                          Payable without appearance
                          12/14/2006 (MSD) 340A.503.1(a)(2) (340A5031a2)

So it says I was convicted, that isn't as bad as it sounds is it?

Thanks again SigCopper!

Comment

Dude, don't worry about it. Just tell them you got a MIP ticket when you were 18. Big friggin' deal.

Comment

Relax...no big deal.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6430 users online. 349 members and 6081 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X