300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying Awake on the Side of the road

I was thinking today, besides the help of coffee and energy drinks, when working the night shift, how do you stay awake while waiting for speeders? Besides the radio chatter, its silent no? After a while I guess your body would be used to being up those hours. Any input?

It's no different than staying up during the day waiting for speeders. If that is the shift you work then you're used to being awake just like a "normal" person is during the day. If you rotate shifts, then that can get messy.
    Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

I agree with RDEP. It is just as easy to get sleepy during the day. I crack the window, turn on some music, whatever I can. Sometimes you just have to drive around for a bit to wake up.

Comment

I never wait for speeders.

If I get tired I get out of the car, park and go talk to somebody.

Comment

Is there even a normal radio in police cruisers. Ive always wondered that. I wouldnt think there was but what do I know.

Comment

I am too big and can only sleep on my stomach, so I can't sleep.
            Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

I rotate shifts and have no problem on nights,now days,thats another story,have never figured it out,other than the fact that a "squint" is so close to a "nitey nite".To answer the question ,get out walk around,talk to someone etc.and yes,we do have "good times" radios in our cars,some evn have Sirrius etc.
              Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Listening to Howard Stern on Sirius right now.

Comment

I drink coffee (in the middle of the night the coffee is not usually made yet at the convenience stores), do my reports, finish up cases..etc. We have AM/FM radios but the darn volume knob usually doesnt work after a year of use on these crown vics.

Comment

Watch DVD on MDT!!

Comment

fm or sirius radio, paperwork, dvd's, and the internet. if i start to fall asleep i will go somewhere else and talk to people or run moving radar/stops for equipment, ect.

Comment

Waiting for speeders? You must have an delusion that all police sit and wait for speeders on the side of the road at night. Some of us are humping calls till the *** crack of dawn.

Besides, I'm a night owl anyways and I'm wide awake at night.

Comment

Nah i know that most of the time you are getting called to stupid domestic calls and what not but the times you are sitting is what I mean.

Comment

Waiting around for speeders made me giggle.

My town is small, but there are usually enough calls going on that there is most always something to get into at any given moment. My shift commander is cool about allowing us to leave our zones, so if we hear a call in another area we can go to assist.

If we aren't on a call, we are checking businesses at night, making sure they haven't been burglarized, convenience store clerks are still alive, etc.

Another thing we do is meet up and chat with each other for a few minutes, or go walk around at walmart or something. We also have a walking beat we do at night to check businesses. I usually try to save that until I am getting sleepy, then it helps to get out of the car and walk around for a bit.

Comment

sitting around waiting on speeders?

that's pretty lame.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6134 users online. 326 members and 5808 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X