300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible career as LEO

Ok well I've read all these threads about "Will this disqualify me from being a LEO?"

Just to be perfectly clear I've never been arrested, never done drugs, never drak (alcohol), and never smoked so I'm not going to be disqualified for any of that stuff.

I'm currently 17 and a junior in high school. I get pretty decent grades (A- average) and I'm really thinking I'd like to be a Connecticut state trooper. (Yes I'm from CT just to avoid any confusion)

Currently I'm not doing any extra-curricular activities aside from working weekends at an orchard.

My main questions for you guys are this:

1: Are there any types of programs you would suggest I get into that may help my chances at becoming a state trooper?

2: how important is a degree if I'm not planning to join the military between now and then? 2 year degree or 4 year?

3: What is your favorite part of your job as a LEO?

4: What is your least favorite part?

5: Is there anything you would've done differently if you could go back and redo your experience in becoming an officer?

6: Any additional comments, suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance.

-Pete

By the way if you're wondering about my screen name it's because I've got a 99 Ford F350 4x4 with a 7.3L diesel that when I'm finished with it should take off like a rocket. Not on the street, of course, but on the drag strip and still be able to be my daily driver. That's me standing next to it on the day I bought it last December in my avatar.
    Last edited by 7.3 Rocket; 10-09-2009, 07:12 PM.
    -Pete

Pete, I'm going to give you my standard, stock reply to all the High School students who inquire. Here it is, and you really know this. Your most immediate mission is to do well in school and to graduate. Your grades look pretty good, so you'll want to keep that up. Look into the possibilities of joining a Law Enforcement Explorer's Post. Many of these posts are sponsored by local/state LE agencies. Look into volunteering opportunities at your Church, or in your community. If you can, and while still in High School, look at taking course in Journalism, or something which will aid your writing skills. Start looking into colleges/universities, or the Armed Forces. Above all, keep your nose clean. Avoid the clowns who can destroy your chances at a decent career, along with theirs. Pretty well stick to what you're doing. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by 7.3 Rocket View Post
      Ok well I've read all these threads about "Will this disqualify me from being a LEO?"
      That's good, you can read write and articulate yourself well. That's definitely a plus. Research & investigative skills don't hurt either.

Just to be perfectly clear I've never been arrested, never done drugs, never drak (alcohol), and never smoked so I'm not going to be disqualified for any of that stuff.
      That's also good, obviously stay clear of drugs and friends who associate with drugs who may lure you into bad crap. Or just delinquent friends in general who may lure you into bad crap. Be a stand-up guy, build a good reputation and good references, and do the right thing even when no one else is looking (I know it sounds cliché, but undetected crimes are still crimes - dishonesty is still dishonesty - and you WILL have to answer to that during the polygraph).

I'm currently 17 and a junior in high school. I get pretty decent grades (A- average) and I'm really thinking I'd like to be a Connecticut state trooper. (Yes I'm from CT just to avoid any confusion)
      Cool. Go for it man.

Currently I'm not doing any extra-curricular activities aside from working weekends at an orchard.
      No shame in that. Extra-curricular activities and community involvement are always good though. It goes without saying.

1: Are there any types of programs you would suggest I get into that may help my chances at becoming a state trooper?
      Anything legit and productive. What interests you?

2: how important is a degree if I'm not planning to join the military between now and then? 2 year degree or 4 year?
      In today's job market 4-year degrees are starting to become the norm. Therefore to remain competitive you want some type of education or experience that makes you stand out above the other applicants. And it doesn't have to be in criminal justice. Whatever interests you or whatever you think would be a good backup career choice. Law enforcement is a very diverse group of individuals with different talents and experiences, there is no "path to becoming an LEO" guidebook or anything like that because it's not set in stone.

3: What is your favorite part of your job as a LEO?
      The people.

4: What is your least favorite part?
      The people.

5: Is there anything you would've done differently if you could go back and redo your experience in becoming an officer?
      No. Never look back and think about the "what-ifs," always forward.

6: Any additional comments, suggestions for me?
      These days people are living longer and longer. You're a few years away from when you can even begin applying, but gain some good education & experience first. Don't make up your mind that you need to apply immediately once you meet the minimum qualifications, because they're just that, minimum qualifications. 21 or 22 years old doesn't mean you must become a cop because you meet the qualifications. Live life a little, gain that education, experience, and the right attitude/characteristics, and if it happens to fall where it may fall so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        Pete, I'm going to give you my standard, stock reply to all the High School students who inquire. Here it is, and you really know this. Your most immediate mission is to do well in school and to graduate. Your grades look pretty good, so you'll want to keep that up. Look into the possibilities of joining a Law Enforcement Explorer's Post. Many of these posts are sponsored by local/state LE agencies. Look into volunteering opportunities at your Church, or in your community. If you can, and while still in High School, look at taking course in Journalism, or something which will aid your writing skills. Start looking into colleges/universities, or the Armed Forces. Above all, keep your nose clean. Avoid the clowns who can destroy your chances at a decent career, along with theirs. Pretty well stick to what you're doing. Best of luck to you.
        Thanks, man. We've got a new teacher at my school who is REALLY into essays. At least one 2-3 page essay per week. I'll look into some volunteering stuff.

And FWIW my boss's brother-in-law is a CT trooper so I can learn a lot about the department from him just looking for any insight I can get from you guys. Seems to be a knowledgeable group here.

Also I was thinking of a 4 year business degree. I've spoken with a state trooper and he said they didn't care what type of degree you had so a criminal justice degree is a bad idea (in his opinion and I agree) because if you get hurt to where you can't be a police officer any longer you don't have anything else you can fall back on.
        Last edited by 7.3 Rocket; 10-09-2009, 07:57 PM.
        -Pete

Comment

Don't molest your mom when she is passed out drunk, even if you think no one will find out.

Comment

Do a "ride-along" with your in law CT trooper...ask him what he thinks you should do....HE would know for sure and could give you the best advise

As everyone else said....DO NOT DO OR ASSOCIATE WITH ANYONE THAT IS INTO DRUGS/CRIME/ANYTHING NEGATIVE!!!

Continue your good school work into college or do military service for 4 years and get your school paid for courtesy of Uncle Sam! (You can go to school while youre a Trooper....it will keep you productive and out of trouble on your off time)

Good luck and let us know how it goes
            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Get ready to see and hear crazy things that may make you stay up at night,and be thankful it was only a call and not your life.
              My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Comment

Read and research. Look at what your getting into first. Don't get your sights set on something that you may not even like.

Comment

When you get into college see if the department has an internship program. They work.

Make sure that you get good grades in college. The key to that is planning your study time around your class schedule and NOT violating the study schedule for any reason. GPA does matter, it shows maturity in obtaining a goal.

Don't do stupid stuff. Goes without saying, but college age kids will do stupid things and when they do and get caught the kill any chance of getting into police work. Good luck.
                  Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                    Read and research. Look at what your getting into first. Don't get your sights set on something that you may not even like.
                    That's part of my reason for coming here. Read about the day to day life and problems of LEOs and see if I still think it's for me. Also the reason for wanting to go on a ride-along. Mainly so I can talk with the officer I'd be riding along with.
                    -Pete

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4237 users online. 251 members and 3986 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X