300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Above the law or not ?

J.C. France, grandson of NASCAR founder Bill France, has been arrested on charges of drug possession and driving under the influence. According to police reports, France was driving a 2007 Lamborghini when he was stopped early Thursday morning. The police reported that he was racing his half-brother, Russell Van Richmond, who was driving a 2003 Porsche.

Richmond was apparently the absolutely worst kind of friend to have in this situation, one who makes a bad situation infinitely worse. "This is a mistake for you," he told the arresting officer, according to the report. "I'm a France, we own this city." When the cops didn't run and hide at that, Richmond kept on: "You're done," he reportedly said. "Your job is over. This is the biggest mistake ever and your (sic) so done in Daytona."

For his trouble, Richmond got slapped with two counts of unlawful possession of a controlled substance, DUI, and two counts of threatening a police officer. During the search of the cars, officers found containers with a "white cakelike substance." According to the police, the substances had a presumptive positive reaction for cocaine. Oops, allegedly.

France is a driver in NASCAR's Grand Am Series, but has been instantly and indefinitely suspended from driving, according to NASCAR officials. "Grand-Am has issued a penalty notice and suspended J.C. indefinitely from all competition for actions detrimental to racing," NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said. "The penalty is not appealable. J.C. is being treated like any other competitor. His suspension is immediate and indefinite."

As soon as this hit, my email box filled up with variants of "Jeremy Mayfield must be laughing right now." Maybe so, maybe not. This is a (presumptive) black eye for NASCAR, but also an opportunity for the sport to demonstrate that nobody's above its rules. Not even the Frances.

Has anyone ever encountered this type of situation in their law enforcement career; where some "big shot" feels they are above the law and can do anything they want to because they carry a big name in their city ? People like him actually feel the arresting officer should back down if he wants to keep his job.

I hear the same thing from a lot of people, it has nothing to do with him being a France, it has everything to do with him being arrested. I'm sure the arresting office did the same thing we all do no matter who said it, laugh at him.

Comment

It happens.....I have stopped all kinds of people who spout that junk. I conduct my business as I would with anybody else.

Comment

Happens all the time. I was the recipient of similar threats more than once, and enjoyed a thirty eight year career. The great majority of Cops really aren't intimidated too often.

Comment

Oh I hope to hell they seize that car.

Comment

Happens to a greater or lesser degree quite a bit. From "do you know who I am?!!" to "I know your major, the sheriff, the mayor, the president, etc."

To which the answers are "no" and "really? Wow" and then a resumption of the business at hand.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
              Happens to a greater or lesser degree quite a bit. From "do you know who I am?!!" to "I know your major, the sheriff, the mayor, the president, etc."

To which the answers are "no" and "really? Wow" and then a resumption of the business at hand.
              Yep, plus the 'my daddy's a lawyer/judge/millionaire' etc. "How much money will it take for you to let me go?" Baaad idea.
              summer - winter - work

Comment

Those who pull that "card" are d-bags of the highest order and deserve everything they get
                "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Has anyone ever encountered this type of situation in their law enforcement career; where some "big shot" feels they are above the law and can do anything they want to because they carry a big name in their city ? People like him actually feel the arresting officer should back down if he wants to keep his job.
                  Yeah ... it's part of the job that's fun.

Once had a fellow start asking if I knew "so n so", going through many names, some of whom I did know but pretended not to. Finally I interupted him and asked if he knew a Trooper I. B. Me (I used my name of course). He thought on it a few seconds and said "No.". I replied "That's too bad because he's the only one who can help you now."

He abbsorbed that a few moments, then he just stayed quiet.
                  Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 10-09-2009, 10:32 PM.
                  "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

I have yet to arrest anyone who didn't try that. Everyone is the mayor's brother or the governor's sister who told the suspect any cop who you want me to fire just say the word and I'll fire them.

Hmm.....13 years and the job and I haven't been fired yet. I'm starting to suspect that maybe not all of them were telling the truth.

Comment

I remember once a bigwig insurance man got arrested for OUI in our city, he proclaimed "Do you know I am?",

Two weeks later, he was proclaiming, "Do you know who I was?"

The company he worked for did not want the publicity of one of their high-powered employees mouthing off when caught dead-to-rights, ranting about who they were, and who they worked for.

On the other hand, I was in on an arrest of another man for engaging a prostitute. He kept saying call the chief, call the chief. I said if you know him so well you can call him when you get to jail. Long story short, he did, the next day, there was no record of arrest, and the case number was re-assigned to an unrelated theft case. I kept my mouth shut. I didn't want to paint a target on my back. I made it to retirement.
                      Last edited by valvestem; 10-12-2009, 09:11 AM.
                      21 Years, Retired, Pensioned

Comment

I love it when people pull that nonsense with me. My favorite is when they claim to know a squad mate or another co-worker. I get the "oh man, I know Joe Officer, we're good friends." My response is usually something like "yeah, I know him, can't stand the SOB, lazy bastard, never pullin is weight around here, waste of a badge, etc." Usually gets them to shut up pretty quick. Then when I tell Joe Officer about it, he usually doesn't know the guy, and gets a good laugh out of it too.

I had a guy tell me that he's real good friends with the mayor and to call the mayor and all this. So at 3 AM I telephoned the mayor from my cell phone, straight to his cell phone and say "hey Mr. Mayor, your buddy ___________, just wanted you to know that he's going to jail, and since you employ such fine police officers, he'll be found guilty." Mayor said "ok _________, good work."

Nothing better than a guy trying to play that card who has it thrown back in his face.
                        Originally posted by K40
                        To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                        ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz View Post
                          It happens.....I have stopped all kinds of people who spout that junk. I conduct my business as I would with anybody else.

My answer is the same.

No love from me.

Comment

I have had citizens and cops pull this.......
                            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
                              I have had citizens and cops pull this.......
                              Been there with the cops pulling it. I arrested one guy awhile back for OWI (.29 with his kid in the car, so yeah..go ahead and call me an *** for locking up a cop and not giving him any professional courtesy) who turned out to be a cop. It wasn't until he was in handcuffs after physically resisting me that he started in on the "you'll never get back up from my department again, you've screwed yourself, they'll make this go away." Once his department got ahold of the in-car video they fired him immediately. Last I heard he was working as a roofer and has since been convicted of 2 other criminal charges stemming from his time in police work.
                              Originally posted by K40
                              To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                              ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3387 users online. 152 members and 3235 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X