X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you have pursued?

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11277574

Here is the condensed version:

SC Governor Sanford was being driven by a SLED (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division) agent to a meeting when they were pulled over by a highway trooper for doing 85.

When the trooper approached the driver, the dialogue went like this:

"Not a really good reason to be speeding," the trooper said to the driver.

"Tell him that," the agent says, walking back to his car.

As the trooper strides to the side of the governor's unmarked sedan, a window rolls down and then, a handshake. "Mark Sanford," the governor introduces himself.

After the trooper returns to his vehicle and begins writing a ticket for the State Law Enforcement Division agent driving Sanford, his patrol car and its camera captures the sedan pulling away with its own blue emergency lights flashing in the rear of the vehicle. The governor's driver did not get a ticket.

What would you have done, and does make a difference that the governor is riding in the vehicle or the fact that the driver is a SLED agent?
    Last edited by beetz12; 10-08-2009, 01:00 PM.

1. a pursuit would not be justified per my department policy regardless if I wanted to...

2. no I would not want to pursue this any further and would not have considered writing a fellow LEO especially while driving an elected official....

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I have one more question: What's the specific policy in your dept that prevents you from engaging in such pursuit?
      Last edited by beetz12; 10-08-2009, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Nope we are not allowed to chase for a traffic violation and even if I could I would not chase a Govt vehicle. If I were that upset about it I could easily find out who was driving and speak to his supervisor so there is no reason to chase. I hate our governor but even I am smart enough to know not to pull over his motorcade and def not to attempt to issue his driver a ticket. I also dont think our Governor's driver would even pull over in the first place they would prob just radio to someone to call my dispacth and tell me to back off
        Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.
        -Ronald Reagan

Heroes may not be braver than anyone else. They're just braver five minutes longer.
        -Ronald Reagan

Big Mak Attack AKA Big Mac Attack

Comment

pursued why? its sure seemed by the video the stop was over. the troopers mic was still on. seems to me that if the trooper was really going to write a ticket and the car pulled off he would have at least said something or mumbled something to himself. the bigger issue is WHO CARES? it's the freaking governor and they were doing 85? big deal. i dont even write regular people tickets for 85, much less a fellow officer driving the governor ON DUTY. the media paints this picture of corruption now but what they forget is that we have discretion. for every cop ive ever let go doing something wrong there is at least a hundred or two ive let go for the exact same thing.
          Last edited by Narco; 10-08-2009, 01:32 PM.
          Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Originally posted by Narco View Post
            the bigger issue is WHO CARES? it's the freaking governor and they were doing 85? big deal.
            And if they kill someone?
            Last edited by beetz12; 10-08-2009, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by big mak attack View Post
              I hate our governor but even I am smart enough to know not to pull over his motorcade and def not to attempt to issue his driver a ticket. I also dont think our Governor's driver would even pull over in the first place they would prob just radio to someone to call my dispacth and tell me to back off
              That's a good idea, but what's the worst that can happen if you did try to pull over the governor and his driver?

Comment

First, I wouldn't write a fellow LEO. (Especially one in a marked vehicle.)

Secondly, he's the governor.

.............think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by beetz12 View Post
                  Thanks for the reply.

I have one more question: What's the specific policy in your dept that prevents you from engaging in such pursuit?
                  We generally do not discuss Policy and Procedure in open forums.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I presume that the governor had the power to pardon his driver and would do so if he told his driver to speed. So what is the point of citing the driver?
                    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Wouldn't cite, let alone pursue.

Comment

Suppose the driver had been DWI and had a dog in his lap?
                        Last edited by beetz12; 10-08-2009, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I dont cite LEOs, especially ones in official units driving an official around
                          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                          The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                          sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

I understand and respect everyone's response that they would not cite another LEO especially one transporting an elected official.

But if their actions are endangering the public, shouldn't they at least be stopped?

Comment

I can't believe this guy stopped what is clearly an unmarked patrol car displaying flashing lights.

Give me a break!
                              Last edited by KAA951; 10-08-2009, 03:28 PM.
                              ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4323 users online. 216 members and 4107 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X