Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not magical, honey. This job has some of the same issues as others and some uniquely its own. Of course there are people who want to get out. There are also people merely verbalizing the agravation they feel at the revolving door of the justice system and the red tape of the politics.

For me...best job in the world.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by SupraRy View Post
      So I've been working my tail off to get into a small municipal department in NYS.

I constantly hear from other people that Officers "Want out" of the profession. It seems so difficult to get in, yet once your in... you cant wait to get out?

Who is happy out there? Big deparment? Small? Sherrif's office?

I've been wanting to be an officer for 5-6 years now and I'll be very dissapointed if it wasn't what I was expecting 1-3 years into the career.

I cant imagine being stuck behind this desk for the next 25 years.

Do you mean "get out" by retirement?

Because even with the best job, who doesn't want to retire and enjoy the good life.

Comment

Originally posted by SupraRy View Post
        Why? What else would you rather be doing?
        At this point in my life I am just tired of the routine of the job. (Still get a rush out of the exciting parts!) I am on the deferred retirement plan and can retire anytime or stay till 2014. Don't get me wrong, the job has been good to me and my family, and I am thankful for the career that I've had. What else would I rather be doing? The list is probably endless!

The reason I said I don't recommend LE to anyone is: If somebody doesn't already have the burning desire to do the job, as in no matter what I say negative about it, they are going to pursue a job in LE anyway, then they are probably wasting their time. That is, if they don't have that kind of desire for the job, they won't last till retirement, therefore they should have been doing something else. JMO

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
          then you may indeed enjoy the job and have a long and successful career. You will spend hours sitting on your butt, but it's nice to have a mobile office so you can change the scenery and always have a window. You'll see 'different' things, at first, but eventually most of the calls will start blending into some version of the same calls over and over. I suppose you 'can' change your city for the better, but don't go in expecting that you will make a huge difference...

to steal a line from a m*a*s*h episode (and rework it for our profession)-

'there are 2 rules for law enforcement, rule #1 - bad things happen to good people, rule #2 - cops can't change rule #1'

But that's as close as I want to come to ruining your image of the profession - essentially there is only one way to know if this is a good fit for you, and you're working on it (get hired, pass the academy, survive FTO, and work the streets for a few years).

Good luck, but don't be disappointed that you can't change rule #1
          Thank you for the response. I understand that. I have several friends that got onto local agencies and they pretty much say the same thing. I apreciate your input. Thanks.

Originally posted by MPDCjock View Post
          Don't get down about it having taken you five years and counting to get hired. Some people are lucky and get hired quickly. Others take years, if ever. It took me several years to get hired. Don't give up hope!

I'm not. Some of us have to work harder for things, and that's OK with me.

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
          It's not magical, honey. This job has some of the same issues as others and some uniquely its own. Of course there are people who want to get out. There are also people merely verbalizing the agravation they feel at the revolving door of the justice system and the red tape of the politics.

For me...best job in the world.
          Smurf, I apreciate the info. I've been reading your posts on here for some time now. People keep saying it's the best job in the world. I suppose most end up as "salty dogs" at the end of thier career.

Originally posted by Mike11 View Post
          At this point in my life I am just tired of the routine of the job. (Still get a rush out of the exciting parts!) I am on the deferred retirement plan and can retire anytime or stay till 2014. Don't get me wrong, the job has been good to me and my family, and I am thankful for the career that I've had. What else would I rather be doing? The list is probably endless!

The reason I said I don't recommend LE to anyone is: If somebody doesn't already have the burning desire to do the job, as in no matter what I say negative about it, they are going to pursue a job in LE anyway, then they are probably wasting their time. That is, if they don't have that kind of desire for the job, they won't last till retirement, therefore they should have been doing something else. JMO

Understood Mike. I'm in that boat below. I've worked hard just to get here and I'm not going to stop until I get there.
          Trying to get on in NY...
          PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

Comment

I wouldn't do it if I could start over. There are plenty of jobs that don't require you to sit behind a desk for 40 hours a week.

Comment

I'm in my 15th yr and I still love my job. I still have a high drive and my co-workers would say I suffer from Rookieitise (sp). I'm all about putting the bad guys in jail.

IMO the reason why most officers want or get out is because of the internal strife and not the job itself. When you start looking at a potential dept to apply at, make sure you do your homework. Ride out with a couple officers and ask questions dealing with morale and benefits. Police work is police work where ever you go, just make sure you go to work for an agency that will stand behind you.
              Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

I love the job. In every job there are good days and bad days. We will complain sometimes but we stick with it to see what tomorrow holds.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5268 users online. 320 members and 4948 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X