300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEO's: Do you have your job?

So I've been working my tail off to get into a small municipal department in NYS.

I constantly hear from other people that Officers "Want out" of the profession. It seems so difficult to get in, yet once your in... you cant wait to get out?

Who is happy out there? Big deparment? Small? Sherrif's office?

I've been wanting to be an officer for 5-6 years now and I'll be very dissapointed if it wasn't what I was expecting 1-3 years into the career.

I cant imagine being stuck behind this desk for the next 25 years.
    Last edited by SupraRy; 10-07-2009, 03:05 PM.
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

what are you 'expecting' ?

Comment

1 thing you will learn when you get on this job is as long as cops are complaining they are happy. Its when they stop that you have a problem.

On a side note why has it taken you 5 years to get a job?
      Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.
      -Ronald Reagan

Heroes may not be braver than anyone else. They're just braver five minutes longer.
      -Ronald Reagan

Big Mak Attack AKA Big Mac Attack

Comment

Originally posted by big mak attack View Post
        1 thing you will learn when you get on this job is as long as cops are complaining they are happy. Its when they stop that you have a problem.

On a side note why has it taken you 5 years to get a job?
        It's Civil Service here, so if you dont do well on the exam (95% or higher) you typically dont get hired. Also, they do not hire often around here, and residency is huge. Civil Service exam is given once every three years or so.

Makes getting hired difficult.
        PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
          what are you 'expecting' ?
          I want a career with upward mobility. I want to work with other people that share my interest in my career. Changing my city for the better.

I want to see different things everyday, my current desk job is painfully boring. (IT).

I'm a very active person by nature (excersizing, sports, training), not sure how I ended up on my butt all day.

By the way, I fixed the title... sorry about that. Wont change on the main page.
          Last edited by SupraRy; 10-07-2009, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SupraRy View Post
            It's Civil Service here, so if you dont do well on the exam (95% or higher) you typically dont get hired. Also, they do not hire often around here, and residency is huge. Civil Service exam is given once every three years or so.

Makes getting hired difficult.
            That sucks I didnt even want to be the police when I got out of the USMC but they were hiring and from application to academy was about 3 months
            Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.
            -Ronald Reagan

Heroes may not be braver than anyone else. They're just braver five minutes longer.
            -Ronald Reagan

Comment

That sucks I didnt even want to be the police when I got out of the USMC but they were hiring and from application to academy was about 3 months
              Wow, congrats. Deathly slow process here.

Comment

Same here, only it was after college and nobody else was hiring. That was 22 years ago and I still love my job and I'm still having fun.
                sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

yeah its been 10 yrs for me and I cant think of anything else I would rather be doing
                  -Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Comment

I've heard of a 5 year point where officers get there and decide to either leave or stay at that anniversary. Don't know why it's 5 and not 7 or 3 or 8 etc.
                    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Comment

Its a good job, 26 years and counting, but I don't recommend it.

Comment

Best career in the world! I know I can make a real difference in someone's life every day!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike11 View Post
                          Its a good job, 26 years and counting, but I don't recommend it.
                          Why? What else would you rather be doing?

Hiring seems to go in cycles. It seems sometimes they are begging for people. (NYS Troopers is a good example, now you cant get on to save your life).

I'm assuming it has to do with the economy.

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...eum/index.html
                            Last edited by Nobody; 10-15-2009, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Don't get down about it having taken you five years and counting to get hired. Some people are lucky and get hired quickly. Others take years, if ever. It took me several years to get hired. Don't give up hope!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2982 users online. 152 members and 2830 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X