300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic Stop Question

In my criminal justice class we were given the advice to always ask the police officer why he or she pulled us over. So when asked "do you know why I pulled you over", instead of admitting to something you have done wrong by saying "I was speeding", ask why they pulled us over. Now I was wondering if that would come across as being a smart guy or something. I dont plan on getting pulled over but I was just wondering.

Thank you

I'll tell you why I pulled you over before you even have the chance to open your mouth. That way the violator really has nothing to say unless I ask him a question.

Comment

The second thing I tell a motorist I just stoppped is why I pulled them over. The first thing is good morning/afternoon/evening, which ever applies. The less a driver talks to me the faster I can get his citation issued and get on to my violator.

Comment

I tell the driver why I pulled him over, and usually ask why he was doing what he did. (Only I ask "why did you [not stop at that light", or whatever the violation is, not ask the Gerbil Voodoo-endorsed, stiffly formal "Is there any legal reason why you...?")
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I'll almost always ask if you "know why I stopped you"....its not to Spock mind trick you into admitting anything, (I dont need you to admit anything to win my ticket in court), its just a habit.
          Of course I'm sure you would never want to admit you "have done wrong by saying 'I was speeding'", you know...like a responsible adult.

When did your CJ teacher advise you to ask? During the long silent period of me standing there staring at you.

Seriously, we will tell you why we stopped you .....some may not right away but you definitely know when we bring you your ticket. If you ask me why I stopped you, I will tell you...I will not view you a a smart guy
          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
          The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
          sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Just don't ask "Is there a problem?" There is obviously a problem if you were stopped.

I am another who will tell you immediately why you were stopped. Then I will ask if there is a reason why you did what you did. If there is a valid reason, you just might get a courtesy notice.

Comment

I never say "do you know why I pulled you over?" I say good _____ the reason I stopped you is_______. Can I have your license, registration and proof of insurance. Then I wait 2 minutes for you to find everything, then I wait another 30 seconds when I hand you back your little registration book and ask you to pull your registration out from it.

Comment

I suggest that you not play word games with the police.
                Last edited by LT Dangle; 10-07-2009, 03:03 AM.

Comment

One of my pet peeves is when the violator is hanging out his window asking me why I stopped him while I'm still only halfway up to his car. Give me a chance to get up there and tell you before you start in on me.

For some reason this really ticks me off.

Comment

I usually say why did you come out of the back driveway from KK, you saw me sitting across the street...
                    It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                    Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

You are not going to get the same rehashed answer to a question like that here. Although law enforcement all look the same for the most part we all have our own personal opinion.

My typical TS is to introduce myself, ask for DL and INS. Once I have those I ask if they know why I stopped them, if it is for a moving violation. If you answer honestly with me then probably 80% of the time you get a warning and get sent on your way.

If you immediately pop off with "Why did you stop me?" before I can even reach your vehicle there is a 99% chance you will get a citation. I notice that when they do this it takes a decent amount of time longer to get their DL because they become argumentative.

If I have their license and they start to argue I can easily walk back to my car to start writing the citation and leave them in their hot seat to vent.

Comment

I ask for license and registration before explaining the reason for the stop. Often people will ask why I stopped them -- I tell them as soon as I have their license and registration, I will explain. One guy gave me a hard time a few weeks ago - "Well I think you should tell me now." A brief explanation on the statutory requirement for the operator of a motor vehicle to provide his or her license to a law enforcement officer upon request nipped that in the bud..
                        summer - winter - work

Comment

I ask for their DL and insurance first, then I tell them why they were stopped. I never ask them why I stopped them because it just leads to arguements. They can argue with themselves when I walk back to my car to run them because I'm not going to stand on the side of the road and debate it. That's what court's for.

I question why your CJ class is instructing y'all on how to give us a hard time. Who's teaching those classes anyway? This question probably should have been posted in the "How many cop myths and rumors have you been told by violators?" thread.
                          Last edited by kcso; 10-07-2009, 09:57 AM.
                          sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'd be very careful with some of the "information" you recieve in a CJ class. I always made it a practice to inform the violator of the reason(s) I stopped him. Although the practice isn't 100% effective, it eliminates any ambiguity as to why I'm taking up your time. I'm retired now, but that practice served me well for thirty eight years.

Comment

If I ask the reason, it's not to make you confess to a murder. I know why I stopped you, especially considering I can't stop you for no reason. It's a traffic ticket. I guess that reasoning would be more pertinent towards DUI violators. I don't ask if you've had anything to drink. Anyone can say "yes" or "no." I always tell my recruits to ask "how much?" You never know the answer you're going to get. I love it when they're honest and say "seven or eight."
                              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5269 users online. 303 members and 4966 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X