X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steelers5
    replied
    Thank you for the responses gentlemen.
    Makes myself a better driver and to teach newer drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Alpha07
    replied
    One of our trucks here has the LED bar.... there is a "Low Power" button on the control switch panel that reduces power to the bar and makes the lights a lot more tolerable.

Ironically enough, I was at a collision scene and had a trucker comment on how unbearable the LED's are....

Leave a comment:

• kcso
    replied
    Originally posted by Steelers5 View Post
    That is your own judgment following to close. I am a truck driver, not a LEO.

Stationary LED's on a narrow road, Was I indeed right or wrong doing what did?
    Yeah, I kinda got that when you said you drove a big rig. It's not a judgement call for us to follow another unit when we are running hot to the same call. Sometimes it's important to get there at the same time. I was only sympathizing with your complaint about the lights being bright.

You asked if it was right or wrong to do what you did. My answer to that is, I wouldn't recommend hitting your horn as you pass by. We are aware that there is traffic on our left and we can hear your vehicle, especially a large truck. Blowing your horn serves only to distract us when we need to be concentrating on the occupants of the stopped vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• SgtCHP
    replied
    This is the important part of the section:

NOTE: The preceding section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2010, and as of that date is repealed.
    I don't think it has been brought up and passed as yet - it only has a few months to go before it expires.

Leave a comment:

• candidateyellow
    replied
    I'm confused about what this has to do with the move over law?...

OP, I can see where you're coming from. My assigned car has an LED bar and it's extremely bright. It would be nice if someone came up with a light bar that had an ambient light sensor to adjust the brightness to the exterior lighting conditions. My phone has one, why not the emergency signalling device? During the day I can follow someone for blocks before they notice the light bar behind them, whereas at night I could pull people over with a red and blue flashlight. You don't need the same amount of power for both situations. Doesn't help you and your current situation.

Leave a comment:

• jamesrm
    replied
    They can be blinding, but if your passing in the lane closest to the vehicle, and your moving so fast your headlights would not illuminate a open drivers side door, there is a good chance your going too fast to begin with.

Granted, this does not help the drunks and moths who steer towards the bright shiny lights on the side of the road.

And I agree, move over law is my favorite citation, other than the fact someone probably just about nailed me or a partner.

Leave a comment:

• Steelers5
    replied
    Originally posted by backinblue View Post
    at least you saw us compared to a lot of others out there who ignore the old flashing lights. Thanks for slowing down and getting by safely. The lights are very bright, but in my opinion they are useful. Seems most people don't care enough to even let off the accelerator.
    Thank you. I respect anyone on the shoulder, I move over Slow to a crawl when ever possible.

Leave a comment:

• Steelers5
    replied
    Originally posted by kcso View Post
    Steelers5, if you think it's bad passing us with LEDs, try having to follow another patrol car when we have to run hot to a call. I usually just follow their tail lights or else I'll go blind. I they drive off the road, I'll be right there with 'em. The only advice I can give you is to try not and look directly at the lights when you pass, just look down at the road or past the car.
    I will NEVER know following another patrol car, That is not my duty in training.
    That is your own judgment following to close. I am a truck driver, not a LEO.

Stationary LED's on a narrow road, Was I indeed right or wrong doing what did?
    Last edited by Steelers5; 10-08-2009, 01:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• backinblue
    replied
    at least you saw us compared to a lot of others out there who ignore the old flashing lights. Thanks for slowing down and getting by safely. The lights are very bright, but in my opinion they are useful. Seems most people don't care enough to even let off the accelerator.

Leave a comment:

• kcso
    replied
    Steelers5, if you think it's bad passing us with LEDs, try having to follow another patrol car when we have to run hot to a call. I usually just follow their tail lights or else I'll go blind. I they drive off the road, I'll be right there with 'em. The only advice I can give you is to try not and look directly at the lights when you pass, just look down at the road or past the car.

Leave a comment:

• IrishJoe
    replied
    Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
    Thanks.....know I know why I have never heard of it before.....because 'freeway' is in the code description.....

and you are right, pretty much NO ONE follows this section.
    Hey, I see you guys on the freeway every now and again, (and once, even on a stop out there!! )

The downside of this section when I do see the violation, I'm usually too 10-6 with something more important to chase it down.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Thanks.....know I know why I have never heard of it before.....because 'freeway' is in the code description.....

and you are right, pretty much NO ONE follows this section.

Leave a comment:

• IrishJoe
    replied
    That one is news to me.....what is the CVC section (or roughly where in the CVC)?
    Here ya go....

21809. (a) A person driving a vehicle on a freeway approaching a
    stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying emergency
    lights, or a stationary tow truck that is displaying flashing amber
    warning lights, shall approach with due caution and, before passing
    in a lane immediately adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle or
    tow truck, absent any other direction by a peace officer, proceed to
    do one of the following:
    (1) Make a lane change into an available lane not immediately
    adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle or tow truck with due
    regard for safety and traffic conditions, if practicable and not
    prohibited by law.
    (2) If the maneuver described in paragraph (1) would be unsafe or
    impracticable, slow to a reasonable and prudent speed that is safe
    for existing weather, road, and vehicular or pedestrian traffic
    conditions.
    (b) A violation of subdivision (a) is an infraction, punishable by
    a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50).
    (c) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1,
    2010, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted
    statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2010, deletes or extends
    that date.

Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• IrishJoe
    replied
    That one is news to me.....what is the CVC section (or roughly where in the CVC)?
    Geez, going to make me work on my days off?

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishJoe View Post
    I will say this, there is a move over law in Cali that no one follows....except the truckers. Cars'll blow by me at 70, but I've always been grateful to the truckers who will always, with very few exceptions, move over. So if you've driven in Cali, thanks!.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4206 users online. 248 members and 3958 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X