X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steelers5
    Oh boy
    • Dec 2008

Over head LEDs

Wow, These lights are blinding. I was on a 2 lane the other night.
    ( one each way ) a officer had pulled someone over.

Used extreme caution in the big rig. Traffic in the on coming lane was heavily,
    I slowly inched by, could not see anything except red and blues. Gave a slight tug on the air horn. Not being a jerk, in case someone was indeed in the roadway for unknown cause.

If the officer had opened his door, Would have never known. Can't see a person with those lights.

Anyway to use a less blinding bug attractor ?
    Maybe some insight, to even correct my own driving. I don't blame anyone. Just very odd WHAT IF circumstance.

Great from distance, but wow, close up it sure is weird feeling.
    Last edited by Steelers5; 10-05-2009, 11:24 PM.
    Originally posted by Michigan
    I won't say anything mean to you because you're obviously retarded. I don't know if you will understand or comprehend what everyone is saying to you, so put it this way: The internet is bad, bad place. No go, no go. Computer bad, no login. Stay home, eat sour patch kids- yum yum. No talk to no one. Stay home. Internet is bad, stay away. Bye, bye.
  • 5031OKC
    CSI Sucks
    • Jan 2009

They are indeed very bright, sometimes overwhelmingly so. The bars we are using have a dim mode for the rear. It cuts the brightness of the rear lights in half if you so choose.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

• Re-Birth
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2008

They can be a safety hazard; and at times those hazards can trump any benefits that the LED's may give. I've read studies of passing motorists experiencing "Mothing Effects", momentary blindness, and optical illusions while in close proximity to the LED's. The studies stated Red as being more visible during the day, Blue at night, and Amber during inclimate weather. Since reading the study, I make it a point to use Ambers as much as possible while on the side of the road since they are less blinding and are just as visible. Driving a Big Rig, I can actually see the hazard increasing quantitatively since your viewpoint is at a higher plane and you need to gaze through the LED's to see the roadway. I dont know of anything more you could have done other than what you did. I commend you for exercising extreme caution and not assuming that the roadway was clear.
      Never ask a man if he served in the Marine Corps! If he earned the title "Marine" he will tell you, if he didn't, there is no need to embarrass him.

Comment

• janego10
        Forum Member
        • Dec 2005

In Texas, move over its the law! and for those officers that dont know the Transportation code title: Passing Authorized Emergency Vehicle! Cite for it!

Comment

• Steelers5
          Oh boy
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by janego10
          In Texas, move over its the law! and for those officers that dont know the Transportation code title: Passing Authorized Emergency Vehicle! Cite for it!
          Not trying to be a dick, Sir, know of the move over law in my state or state(s). Always have done it, always will do it. We truckers do it for each other and EVERYONE else on the shoulder, We have been doing it before states made it a enforcement. Sheesh I wonder how states thought of that

Not trying to dictate the answers, Know of the procedures.
          If indeed another lane, I would have moved over.
          Please do not try to insult me with the move over law.
          Last edited by Steelers5; 10-06-2009, 04:36 AM.
          I won't say anything mean to you because you're obviously retarded. I don't know if you will understand or comprehend what everyone is saying to you, so put it this way: The internet is bad, bad place. No go, no go. Computer bad, no login. Stay home, eat sour patch kids- yum yum. No talk to no one. Stay home. Internet is bad, stay away. Bye, bye.

Comment

• janego10
            Forum Member
            • Dec 2005

Steelers it was not meant towards you..i'm a stickler for the move over law...its been out for years and the majority still dont know of it. I just wish more drivers would be aware of it...I ticket constantly for it...ignorance of the law is no excuse. Any chance I get to put it out there I do..

Comment

• Steelers5
              Oh boy
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by janego10
              Steelers it was not meant towards you..i'm a stickler for the move over law...its been out for years and the majority still dont know of it. I just wish more drivers would be aware of it...I ticket constantly for it...ignorance of the law is no excuse. Any chance I get to put it out there I do..
              No ignorance here, I hate to see anyone get within a few feet./ inches of a motorist on the shoulder. Myself, worst feeling. I can not imagine the officers/deputies with flashing lights feeling. I will never know.

I will never imagine a LEO feelings on a traffic stop on a narrow road. But, I hope to god a tractor trailer does not remove a LEO from his duty on a traffic stop from blinding lights to another motorist.
              Those lights are blinding.

Those led's are blinding, really they are. sit 10 feet in a cab with glass all around. everything reflects.

May be damned if you do, damned if you don't. Maybe no right answer, continue to do what I did, until a LEO says i did wrong.
              Last edited by Steelers5; 10-06-2009, 05:04 AM.

Comment

• IrishJoe
                Forum Member
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Steelers5
                Not trying to be a dick, Sir, know of the move over law in my state or state(s). Always have done it, always will do it. We truckers do it for each other and EVERYONE else on the shoulder, We have been doing it before states made it a enforcement. Sheesh I wonder how states thought of that

I will say this, there is a move over law in Cali that no one follows....except the truckers. Cars'll blow by me at 70, but I've always been grateful to the truckers who will always, with very few exceptions, move over. So if you've driven in Cali, thanks!.
                sigpic

In Memory
                Officer J. Sanders
                EOW 12-15-2008

Loyalty...Duty...Respect...Selfless Service...Honor...Integrity...Personal Courage

Comment

• LA DEP
                  Molon Labe
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by IrishJoe
                  I will say this, there is a move over law in Cali that no one follows....except the truckers. Cars'll blow by me at 70, but I've always been grateful to the truckers who will always, with very few exceptions, move over. So if you've driven in Cali, thanks!.
                  That one is news to me.....what is the CVC section (or roughly where in the CVC)?
                  The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

• IrishJoe
                    Forum Member
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by LA DEP
                    That one is news to me.....what is the CVC section (or roughly where in the CVC)?
                    Geez, going to make me work on my days off?
                    sigpic

In Memory
                    Officer J. Sanders
                    EOW 12-15-2008

Loyalty...Duty...Respect...Selfless Service...Honor...Integrity...Personal Courage

Comment

• IrishJoe
                      Forum Member
                      • Dec 2006

Here ya go....

21809. (a) A person driving a vehicle on a freeway approaching a
                      stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying emergency
                      lights, or a stationary tow truck that is displaying flashing amber
                      warning lights, shall approach with due caution and, before passing
                      in a lane immediately adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle or
                      tow truck, absent any other direction by a peace officer, proceed to
                      do one of the following:
                      (1) Make a lane change into an available lane not immediately
                      adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle or tow truck with due
                      regard for safety and traffic conditions, if practicable and not
                      prohibited by law.
                      (2) If the maneuver described in paragraph (1) would be unsafe or
                      impracticable, slow to a reasonable and prudent speed that is safe
                      for existing weather, road, and vehicular or pedestrian traffic
                      conditions.
                      (b) A violation of subdivision (a) is an infraction, punishable by
                      a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50).
                      (c) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1,
                      2010, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted
                      statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2010, deletes or extends
                      that date.

Have fun!
                      sigpic

In Memory
                      Officer J. Sanders
                      EOW 12-15-2008

Comment

• LA DEP
                        Molon Labe
                        • Dec 2007

Thanks.....know I know why I have never heard of it before.....because 'freeway' is in the code description.....

and you are right, pretty much NO ONE follows this section.
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

• IrishJoe
                          Forum Member
                          • Dec 2006

Thanks.....know I know why I have never heard of it before.....because 'freeway' is in the code description.....

and you are right, pretty much NO ONE follows this section.
                          Hey, I see you guys on the freeway every now and again, (and once, even on a stop out there!! )

The downside of this section when I do see the violation, I'm usually too 10-6 with something more important to chase it down.
                          sigpic

In Memory
                          Officer J. Sanders
                          EOW 12-15-2008

Comment

• kcso
                            All cattle, no hat
                            • Oct 2007

Steelers5, if you think it's bad passing us with LEDs, try having to follow another patrol car when we have to run hot to a call. I usually just follow their tail lights or else I'll go blind. I they drive off the road, I'll be right there with 'em. The only advice I can give you is to try not and look directly at the lights when you pass, just look down at the road or past the car.
                            sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• backinblue
                              Forum Member
                              • Aug 2005

at least you saw us compared to a lot of others out there who ignore the old flashing lights. Thanks for slowing down and getting by safely. The lights are very bright, but in my opinion they are useful. Seems most people don't care enough to even let off the accelerator.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10536 users online. 35 members and 10501 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...