300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice on choosing where to work

I currently work for a police department in Central Texas as a civilian. I do parking enforcement and help my supervisor with wrecker enforcement (certain companies in our town feel like they don't have to follow the laws). The department where I currently work is testing in December, but there aren't any openings, they're just testing because the current list is about to expire. There are a couple cities nearby that are hiring, including one fairly large city. I really want to work at the department I'm currently at as an officer, but there's not much chance of any positions opening any time soon. My question is, in your experience, should I hold out for the place I really want to work, or go somewhere else because it's so hard to get hired anywhere right now with the current economic state? Thanks for any input.

Your question can only be answered by you. You know where you want to work and you have goals. Sometimes you have to wait for something in order to experience the truth. The choice is yours and yours alone.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

In my experience and personal opinion, I would not hold out for anyone, not even a "sure thing". The only sure thing is when you get that first commission in writing and are sworn as an officer. Test everywhere, take whoever offers you the first position, and go from there. You might find a change of scenery is something pleasant and unexpected.
      Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

You gotta go to where the jobs are. Even if your dept hires, there is no guarantee that they will hire you.

Comment

No one on this forum can decide for you. It's your call, and rightfully so.

Comment

Well if you want advise that will help you get hired....then you apply at as many places as you can. It takes on average 12 months for a well qualified applicant to get hired in this profession. Pick up a job where ever you can, get some experience, then try to lateral later.
            Walking the line...all give some...some give all!

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. It's all been helpful.

Comment

In my opnion (and only my opinion) if your goal is to be a police officer then maybe it's best to go where you can get in. You may be surprised how much you like it wherever you end up. You can always get hired somewhere else in future. I would be more likely to want a guy that worked with us, then went out and proved himself and came back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5090 users online. 291 members and 4799 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X