Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should you apply?

Hello Everyone -

I have been looking around this site for who knows how long, but I finally registered. I thought this would be a good place to ask a question that I have been thinking about for a while.

Well my question is when should you apply to departments?

Here is some information to help you understand the situation I am in. I am currently twenty years old, turning twenty-one in December. I am going to be graduating school this upcoming spring/summer (May) with a degree in criminal justice. I currently reside in the cold state of Wisconsin.

To you, when should I start applying to departments?

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you,

Lee

As soon as you can.

Comment

The hiring process usually takes anywhere from nine to 18 months. Most agencies accept applications when your are 20 1/2 years old. Start now.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

X2 on what has already been said.

Depts dont hire fast, normally in my area your looking at a year or so.

Good Luck, also dont hang out for just one dept, apply to all in the area you live or anywhere you would like to live.

Comment

Since you are still in school see if any of the departments that you are going to apply with have an internship. My nephew did one with the US Marshall's and it helped him. He did spend a few years at NYPD prior to geting on with the USMS, but knowing people on the inside helps.

At my first paid law enforcement job I was hired the same day I applied, which was back in 1977. I started as an Explorer in High School and then went into the reserves as soon as I could.

Getting hired like that only comes when they know you well. Internships are a good way of showing them your work ethic and skills. It also lets you know of you really want to work at that department. Keep your ears and eyes open and mouth shut. Good luck.
          Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

Before you...

Get a DUI
            Do dope
            Get bad credit
            Start stealing
            Molest your mother while she is drunk
            Get in a bar fight
            Buy a CVPI
            Do anything else that is stupid, immoral or illegal.

P.S. Do none of the above after being hired.

Comment

Apply right now. You have enough credits it sounds so you could be hired.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. They have all helped out a lot. I will start applying asap.

Lt Dangle - Thank you for the laugh.

ddurkof - I will look into the internship route. I haven't thought about that, but could lead to good things like you mentioned.

Thank you all again for the help, and thank you very much for the good lucks.

Lee

Comment

6 months before you want the job. That is the normal time it takes to get hired with an agency.

Comment

Originally posted by lbohlman View Post

Lt Dangle - Thank you for the laugh.

Sadly, it wasn't a joke.

Comment

Apply now, but have a job lined up after you graduate. It can take years to get hired so while you're waiting you need to have a decent income.

Comment

Originally posted by LT Dangle View Post
                        Sadly, it wasn't a joke.

True, and that is what made it pretty funny.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will start applying asap.

Thanks again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3891 users online. 247 members and 3644 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X