No announcement yet.

NYSP Residence Time?


300x250 Mobile

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NYSP Residence Time?

    So I am interested in becoming a New York State Trooper, but I am a NJ citizen. I understand that you need to be a New York resident by the time you apply for the position or even the academy. My question is, I would imagine that there is a certain amount of time that you need to be a NY State resident. Does anyone know how long it is? Thanks!

  • #2
    Post in the New York section under the states. A few Troopers post there.


    • #3
      Must be a New York State resident and have a valid New York State driver's license at time of appointment
      We ride for those who died!

      RIP SgtCHP!


      • #4
        One of the major requirements to enter the profession is the ability to read!

        Qualifications for New York State Trooper

        TO APPLY:

        Must be at least age 20 on the Application Deadline and be 21 at time of appointment.

        Must not have turned 30 before the Application Deadline. The age limitation may be extended up to six years for active military service.

        Must be a citizen of the United States on or before the Application Deadline.

        Must have a high school diploma at time of application.

        Must have good moral character. A Felony conviction is an automatic disqualification.

        AT TIME OF APPOINTMENT (After passing the exam and being offered a position):

        You must posses a:

        Graduate certificate from senior high school

        New York State High School Equivalency Diploma

        Military GED Certificate

        High School Equivalency diploma from another state converted to a NYS High School Equivalency Diploma

        Must have completed 60 college credit hours at an accredited college or university at time of appointment.

        Exceptions: 30 college credits may be waived, if the candidate has either:

        Received an Honorable Discharge from the United States military after two years of active military service


        Successfully completed a Certified Police Officer Training Course approved by, or equivalent to a course approved by, the New York State Municipal Police Training council. A certified Peace Officer Training course does not qualify.

        Must be a New York State resident and have a valid New York State driver's license at time of appointment.

        Must be able to pass a Physical Ability Test (PAT): sit-ups, push-ups and a one-and-one-half mile run.

        Must conform to height and weight standards at time of appointment.

        Must be able to work rotating shifts any day of the week, including holidays.

        Vision Requirement: uncorrected - no worse than 20/100 in each eye able to be corrected to 20/20 in each eye. Correction may be achieved using glasses, contact lenses, or surgery. Color blindness is disqualifying.

        Must comply with New York State Police policy which requires all members to present a neat and professional appearance at all times. Tattoos, brands, body piercings and other body art shall not be visible while a member is in uniform or other business attire. The uniform includes a short sleeve shirt open at the front of the neck. In addition to visibility, some tattoos or brands may have symbolic meanings that are inconsistent with the values of the New York State Police.

        For more information contact your local recruiter at (866) NYSP-EXAM

        If you do not qualify under the first set of requirements, you must under the second set. It does not mention a residency requirement by time it says that one must be a New York resident (live in the state) and possess a New York Drivers License.
        Last edited by SgtCHP; 10-04-2009, 08:38 PM.
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

        [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]


        • #5
          You can become a NY resident by having a residence in NY. There is no time you need to live in state to gain residency. There is only a requirement that you get NY license and plates after living in NY for a certain amount of time.

          Basically you can get NY residency the day you move there and get DL and new plates on the car.


          • #6
            Yeah thats what I read on their site Sgt, but I wasnt sure if there was an amount of time they require for you to be a resident.

            Thanks for your help guys.


            MR300x250 Tablet


            What's Going On


            There are currently 4627 users online. 323 members and 4304 guests.

            Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

            Welcome Ad