300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job chances in small town vs large city

I was curious what you guys thought about job odds applying to a larger city department, or small town departments? Part of me thinks big city = more job opportunities, thus better odds if you apply. Then again, they may get a larger pool of applicants, and it's a wash. A small town maybe only gets a handful of applicants, but perhaps a quiet little town is a desirable location, and maybe has more experience officers hoping to get something a bit more low key? Then of course there is county and state level jobs to consider...

I have a four year psych degree, and so far have applied to a couple of each, with no luck so far. I don't have state board certification for a LE job, perhaps that is holding me back? (Perhaps that's the most obvious statement ever made?) However I thought that was something you could get after a job offer, want ads can be surprisingly vague about that. Any insight would be appreciated.

In MN you cannot become a peace officer without being "eligible to be licensed". In other words you need the certification or you stand NO CHANCE.

Comment

Many states don't require you to have the certification prior to being hired, but it is very difficult to get an agency to pay to train you. If you are in a state that you can put yourself through an academy and most of the agencies in your area won't put you through, you should be wary of the one agency that will pay you to go to the academy. In my experience the agency that is willing to put you through, when most other local agencies won't, is having severe management problems.
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Larger agencies have both the training staff and can afford to train people from the ground up. Smaller agencies do not run academies to start people out. Smaller agencies depend upon a candidate pool of those who have put themselves through training at their own expense.

It's kind of disgusting, in some ways. After 30 years in the big city n the west coast, I came to Colorado to get a job. I saw many of the "graduates" of local community college LE programs, and based upon their behaviors in the testing process, I had to wonder what the ethical thinking process was for some of these CC's in taking some of these kids' money.
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
          I saw many of the "graduates" of local community college LE programs, and based upon their behaviors in the testing process, I had to wonder what the ethical thinking process was for some of these CC's in taking some of these kids' money.
          At least in California, and I suspect in Colorado as well, most of the funding for community colleges comes from the government rather than the students. I suspect that the attitude is that if the government regulations allow something, it's OK.

Years ago, California began requiring some minimal background screening to attend a POST-approved academy.
          Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
          Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

One problem with small departments is that hiring may be based on nepotism rather than merit. In addition, many of them (at least in the East) have residency requirements.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
              At least in California, and I suspect in Colorado as well, most of the funding for community colleges comes from the government rather than the students. I suspect that the attitude is that if the government regulations allow something, it's OK.

Years ago, California began requiring some minimal background screening to attend a POST-approved academy.
              I don't know what Rio Hondo charged. CO CC's charge anywhere from $4K to $7K. There are some of these kids, trust me, who should have kept their money.
              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

It's been my experience that rural departments tend to be easier to get hired with mainly because everybody wants to work at the big department so they can be pretty picky.

Comment

OK well here in Ok. the smaller Departments will hire you and send you to the Academy if you sign a contract to work for them for X amount of years after graduation (usually two years) . BUT the pay is pretty bad. (that's the catch) Now the bigger Departments pay better, but they try to hire applicants who are already certified.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6480 users online. 362 members and 6118 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X