300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a new police department

Alright, let's say that a small town that is usually covered by the state police, or an unincorporated area that recently incorporated into a town, borough, city, etc, was going to start their own department. How is a new police department born? Who do they usually hire first, and how is hierarchy (sergeants, lieutenants, chief) established right away?
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

[http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...eum/index.html
    Last edited by Nobody; 10-15-2009, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
      http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/files/ric/...linesFinal.pdf

there you go, 64 pages of answers thanks to the google machine
      Thank you
      "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
      -Chris Rock

Comment

I have a little experience in this matter,as the department I currently work for was just started in January. I was hired as a chief of police for a village of about 400 people. I am currently the only officer working for this department. Once the village was incorporated they were recognized by the Secretary or State as an incorporated village. Then they had to establish ordinances, including an ordinance to establish a police department. They had to send a copy of the ordinance to the law enforcement training board. And hire, in my case a chief of police. I was responsible for getting the department set up and up and running.
        Defend us in battle.
        Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.

Comment

Originally posted by chiefmpd View Post
          I have a little experience in this matter,as the department I currently work for was just started in January. I was hired as a chief of police for a village of about 400 people. I am currently the only officer working for this department. Once the village was incorporated they were recognized by the Secretary or State as an incorporated village. Then they had to establish ordinances, including an ordinance to establish a police department. They had to send a copy of the ordinance to the law enforcement training board. And hire, in my case a chief of police. I was responsible for getting the department set up and up and running.
          I bet there is not enough hours in the day for you right now!
          Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Originally posted by Rush817 View Post
              Some days are better then others. I'm trying to convince the board to let me hire a part time officer but so far, no go. The mayor told me if I wanted another officer, I needed to write more tickets. If that's what she wants then that's what she'll get. She can deal with the s*** storm that will come from it.
              Defend us in battle.

Comment

She doesn't mean to write people who live in town, but the outa towners are fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                  She doesn't mean to write people who live in town, but the outa towners are fair game.
                  That's what I've been doing. I've only wrote two locals since I've been here in January. There is a major highway that runs through the middle of town so I've got my pick. I guess it doesn't matter if I p*** those people off. I just figured it would be a matter of time before they started complaining. Who cares though, right
                  Defend us in battle.

Comment

That's what I've been doing. I've only wrote two locals since I've been here in January. There is a major highway that runs through the middle of town so I've got my pick. I guess it doesn't matter if I p*** those people off. I just figured it would be a matter of time before they started complaining. Who cares though, right
                    Wasn't there a hamlet in Ohio that had the same approach? They wound up with the police department disbanded and losing their incorporated status after the state had to intervene. Justice extends to nonresidents as well. Do what is right, not what is profitable.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                      Wasn't there a hamlet in Ohio that had the same approach? They wound up with the police department disbanded and losing their incorporated status after the state had to intervene. Justice extends to nonresidents as well. Do what is right, not what is profitable.
                      X2
                      Walking the line...all give some...some give all!

Comment

This was New Rome Ohio.

The officers that worked there are now unemployed.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                          X3. Reading that post made me sick to my stomach. No offense to chiefmpd, but writing tickets solely for revenue generation isn't the goal of policing in America and isn't representative of the vast majority of departments who do the right thing. It's unethical. Also, specifically targeting a group of people (out-of-state residents) is opening you up to a major civil rights lawsuit....especially when you openly state you do so on a public forum. Again, no offense, but it is what it is.
                          Last edited by preparedness; 10-05-2009, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Who they going to complain to? The Chief
                            It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

The Bowie Police Dept. in MD, just stood up their dept in 2006. For the first year or so, they were definetly a PD on paper only, then they started having officers on patrol only during certain hours, now they are 24/7.....

They started by hiring the Chief, and she basically hireed a senior staff, and they worked their way down to LT, SGT, and then officers ..... see 2 links below.

http://www.cityofbowie.org/Government/Police/index.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowie_P...ment_(Maryland)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4480 users online. 226 members and 4254 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X