Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand to Hand Combat and PT

Not written by me plz delete thread
    Last edited by Shaolin Giraffe; 10-01-2009, 02:38 PM. Reason: Not written by me

Law enforcement has many different types of people in it and all for different reasons. The biggest thing I think is age you have guys at 21 and others in their 50's. When your older your not open to learn new things. Plus to get good at something you have to do it all the time. Some guys will put in time off duty for these kinds of things others will not.

I went thru a 19 week academy and did that martial arts BS to be honest I am not that impressed. Why? We dont train enough using it. Yea I had it in the academy but I might not ever have to use any of that stuff for a year or 2 who knows. When that time comes will I remember it? In my opinion officers need to get good at a few techniques. If you are comfortable doing it then you will use it on the road if your not then you wont. To some extent now you dont even have to go hands on. Many departments have tazers. In most senarios they work.
    I actually had training today on gound fighting and PPCT. The martial arts can be confusing. They showed us many moves that we could do and practiced. Did I like them all no. I liked doing some. I personally take a little from every training I go to and add it all together. Same went for the PPCT I didnt like all the moves. There are some that I am good at and I know will work. Im not against martial arts I am just not a firm believer in it for LE.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolin Giraffe View Post
      I have been training in MMA for about three months
      You have alot to learn young grasshopper

Samba
      Sambo
      Personally, Im not the biggest fan of some of the police taught techniques, I have done them many many times with fellow officers, that is what is taught. They are good techniques, they are taught because it is good for officer that dont do their own training. I prefer my own training. I train BJJ 3x week with Judo, I use to do some MMA classes and train Muy Thai. its all of what you want to make it.

Comment

samba is a dance sambo is a Russian martial art
        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Not written by me

Comment

I don't study any martial arts. I am a decent fighter though with a hell of a knock out punch. I will take what I have picked up through the years and use what I can.

One thing I have noticed though is that the defensive tactic instructors are the ones that always get hurt in fights. That's because they will always resort to the unarmed Bruce Lee crap when they have plenty of tools on their bat belts that will work better.

I do get disgusted when I see some of the guys that have been around for years. You guys know them. They're the ones that you know your 6th grade daughter can hit harder than. You just pray that their verbal judo skills are top notch.
            God made perfect cops.......The rest he put in cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Bully View Post
              I don't study any martial arts. I am a decent fighter though with a hell of a knock out punch. I will take what I have picked up through the years and use what I can.

One thing I have noticed though is that the defensive tactic instructors are the ones that always get hurt in fights. That's because they will always resort to the unarmed Bruce Lee crap when they have plenty of tools on their bat belts that will work better.

I do get disgusted when I see some of the guys that have been around for years. You guys know them. They're the ones that you know your 6th grade daughter can hit harder than. You just pray that their verbal judo skills are top notch.
              Bingo, Because if we don't have to go hands on...we don't. Well smart ones don't.

Comment

I train by kicking tigers in the face.

M-11
                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

I train by finding a group of ninjas and then I titty twister them until they scream uncle. After that I figure I can take on anybody.

However, I feel like kicking a tiger in the face really tests your skill... I may have to change my ways.

Comment

I practice thumb wrestling on a daily basis, with a focus on nail to nail combat.

Comment

I just want to say out the gate I am not picking on or knocking LEO's. You guys have one of the HARDEST jobs in the world and I aspire to join your ranks.

However, I have seen many cops who are out of shape and also seen the patrol videos of officers that have been beaten up or in the process of getting beat up by a suspect. One were the cop was on his back with the suspect on top of him.

My questions are how many of you study some form of martial art? And if you don’t why don’t you? I have been training in MMA for about three months and I think that all cops should do some formal training in a martial art. Specifically some form of grappling like BJJ or Sambo. There are a few cops that train with us (I love it ‘cause I get to hit a cop and not get in trouble LOL!!!!) but seriously the cops that I train with all swear by the training and they hate the PPT (I think that is the correct abbreviation please correct me if I am wrong.) Please chime in.
                      At 24 years of age, 6'0" tall, and 175 lbs I SHOULD do something like that since Im not a big guy. I guess thats why I have a baton, OC, and a gun in case the sh*t hits the fan. If only we carried tasers....
                      ALL THAT IS NECESSARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS THAT GOOD MEN DO NOTHING. -EDMUND BURKE

Comment

I studied traditional Judo for almost 20yrs, Tae Kwan Doe for about 2 & was a Defensive Tactics Instructor for my Dept. The simple fact is (as was mentioned) is that it takes coonsistent practice to become competent in any martial art. Assuming you have the time for such things AND the desire the other issue is what does the ept. authorize. We had a Lt. suspended for kicking a suspect even though he has a black belt in Tae Kwan Doe. It wasn't the use of force that "got" him, it was the Dept.'s view that the kick was an "unauthorized" form of force, so he shouldn't have used it. Here officers are prohibited from even learning Krav Maga as the Dept. feels it's too excessive! With the different types of people & personalitiesin a Dept. & the various forms of MA you really can't dictate any type of self-defense system.

Comment

Not written by me

Comment

Not written by me
                            Whats up with all this, you didnt write stuff.

Comment

My idiot little cousin got to my pc. I usualy stay logged in. He decided to ask the question. Along with the responses. Not sure who the mods are but plz erase this thread.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4167 users online. 258 members and 3909 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X