Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traffic stops and communication problems.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic stops and communication problems.

I have a question regarding traffic stops and communication problems. If you were to encounter a Deaf person on a traffic stop or any other infraction. What would you do in regards of trying to communicate with them?
    Before talking with a person, think about what you are going to say. It makes life easier!

This is one of the reasons God invented paper and pencils. Every good cop should have a notebook and pen/pencil on them at all times when working.
    never forget: www.odmp.org

"In peace time our best still don battledress and lay their lives on the line"

Comment

Keep talking to them like they can hear just so I can listen to that god awful deaf speak and watch them be frustrated.

Comment

What if there was a more serious situation and it was unknown they were Deaf? Such an issue were officer safety is conceived to be at risk by non compliance to simple commands?
        Before talking with a person, think about what you are going to say. It makes life easier!

Comment

Ill mouth the words taser taser taser, as I let the probes fly.

If they cant read lips by now and can not figure out hand gestures then were gunna have some issue.

Comment

Originally posted by LtShinySides View Post
            What if there was a more serious situation and it was unknown they were Deaf? Such an issue were officer safety is conceived to be at risk by non compliance to simple commands?
            Given our gestures, facial expressions, and physical actions, it should be readily apparent whether deaf or not, that we expect certain things for you to do. If a weapon is drawn, whether it is our firearm, OC, or asp and we are pointing to the ground, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that we are encouraging you to lay or take a position where we can take you into custody or at least cuff you for safety reasons.

I've only encountered two people who were deaf during my 8 years, and a pen & pad worked fine.

I don't believe at all that those who are deaf are stupid. They are just like me in most cases and understand when the interaction is serious or a little more lax.
            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by LT Dangle View Post
              Keep talking to them like they can hear just so I can listen to that god awful deaf speak and watch them be frustrated.
              I'm hoping like mad that you're kidding here. My daughter is deaf and we use sign language to communicate. I've run on several accidents where a driver or passenger was deaf and so I was able to translate for rescue or someone like that. Most deaf persons can read lips. However, that has a lot to do with where the person is in relation to them and how well the person is enunciating.

I've never been one to be touchy, easily offended, or anything like that, but I have to say that the attitude of SOME (not meant to imply most or all) people towards the deaf community is sickening. I think tollerance and acceptance go a long way in good police work. Sorry for the rant, but this one hit a nerve. Just my two cents.
              Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

There are quite a few Deaf people in our city. Its rare that the officers come in contact with them...but when they have, everyone seems to come through just fine with pen and paper. In some circumstances, I've been called to assist in translation.

The only bad instance I can think of is when officers responded to possible assault at a residence. As the officers arrived, they saw several people standing around with a male walking away. When the officers approached, the group began pointing to the male. The officers ordered him to stop but he continued walking away..so they went after him. The guy seemed to sense that someone was coming up behind him and began to run. This lead to a tackle by the officers. Turns out that everyone on scene was Deaf and the guy never heard the order to stop.

Originally posted by RDEP View Post
                I've never been one to be touchy, easily offended, or anything like that, but I have to say that the attitude of SOME (not meant to imply most or all) people towards the deaf community is sickening. I think tollerance and acceptance go a long way in good police work. Sorry for the rant, but this one hit a nerve. Just my two cents.
                RDep...You already know of my experience with the Deaf community and I hate to say it but get used to it. A lot of that treatment seems to be a regular occurrence....not so much from the police department but from the general public. Regardless, Officers need to be careful as their agency can get jammed up with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
                Last edited by Taylor1430; 09-30-2009, 09:57 AM.

Comment

As people have said, paper and pencil. We run into communication issues all the time. In my experience (granted, it's not a whole lot of experience) the theoretical problem is a lot worse than the actual situation is. The people we deal with have lived with this communication problem for some time, if not their whole lives. Whether it's a spanish speaking person, deaf person, or even someone with a severe stutter. They are going to be trying just as hard to communicate with me as I am with them. They, generally, understand how a traffic stop or general police interaction is supposed to go (even if COPS is their only reference).

The theoretical question kind of leads you to believe that people who communicate differently than what we call "normal" have no comprehension of how a traffic stop should go. Like as soon as the red and blues go on, they're going to be completely confused. When in reality the only difference when dealing with a deaf or spanish speaking person is that I might have to point to a sentence on paper (or the spanish translation section of my field guide) instead of saying it.

Comment

When I encounter deaf people I simply talk louder and slower.
                    Originally posted by K40
                    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

This is why pen and paper were invented.
                      Religion is flawed, because man is flawed.

Comment

talk loudly, slowly and use large, animated hand gestures!

just write down "speeding..62 in a 45 zone. license and insurance please"
                        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

I've only had it happen once (and it's a great story).

I was checking a park after hours when I came across a car parked in a dark corner. I walked up to the car and of course there was a young couple in the back seat doing what young couples do. I was a young deputy at the time and tried to be a little courteous, so I tapped gently on the window. Of course I got no reaction, so I tapped a little harder. Again, no reaction. This time I gave the window a good knock with the flashlight, but these two are still going like two energizer bunnies in the back seat. Getting a little frustrated, I now turn on the flashlight and wave it all around the inside of the car at the same time yelling out, "What are you fng deaf!"

They quickly jump up and cover there nudity look at me and try and talk, yep you guessed it they were deaf........
                          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

do the same thing as when i encounter someone who cannot speak english...though, I would be more sensitive to a deaf person since it isn't thier fault.

Comment

Not my stop, but a buddies- guy was deaf and tried to use it as an excuse for driving like an idiot. Like others have said, pen and paper solved the problem.

"Just because you're deaf doesn't give you an excuse to drive like an idiot"

He understood that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5679 users online. 304 members and 5375 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X