300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking classes WHILE an Officer

I was wondering how many Officers out there were taking night classes, or other scheduled classes around their work schedule. Is it impossible for an Officer working 40 hours a week plus overtime and court to fit a class schedule in, maybe even 1 or 2 classes?

I am hoping to finish my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice, then go to the Community College's Police Academy before looking for a job. After completing the academy (and hopefully getting a job) I want to continue my education at the Bachelor and hopefully Master level. Is my only option to take online classes? Are there "legit" online universities that are accepted by Police Agencies? I would prefer a local university, but I just don't know how much of a reasonable expectation that could be.

Just for a little background, I am a 27 year old automotive mold designer. I have wanted to be a Police Officer before I went into what I am currently doing, and have finally decided to go with my dream. I am almost 1 year into my classes and I am doing great (and loving it).

Originally posted by Rhellion View Post
    I was wondering how many Officers out there were taking night classes, or other scheduled classes around their work schedule. Is it impossible for an Officer working 40 hours a week plus overtime and court to fit a class schedule in, maybe even 1 or 2 classes?

I am hoping to finish my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice, then go to the Community College's Police Academy before looking for a job. After completing the academy (and hopefully getting a job) I want to continue my education at the Bachelor and hopefully Master level. Is my only option to take online classes? Are there "legit" online universities that are accepted by Police Agencies? I would prefer a local university, but I just don't know how much of a reasonable expectation that could be.

Just for a little background, I am a 27 year old automotive mold designer. I have wanted to be a Police Officer before I went into what I am currently doing, and have finally decided to go with my dream. I am almost 1 year into my classes and I am doing great (and loving it).
    I've worked with many Officers who attended classes while pulling a full workload. That includes at least two who completed law school, then sat for the Bar Exam.Some Departments will make an effort to accomodate Officers attending school. Others are not so accomodating. What you have to consider is the "mission" of the Department. That, quite properly comes first. What will matter most is your desire to further your education. It won't always be easy, but it will be possible.

Comment

Yes, it can be done! I fot my education while on the job. Went to school and worked. It does take its toll and you need to be aware of what is going on in your life. Make certain not to over burden yourself and take a break - either with a lower class load or a semester break during the course of study.

Good luck to you and study hard.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I did - finally finished my AA this summer. If your college offers them, online classes are great for scheduling!
        summer - winter - work

Comment

Originally posted by JLee View Post
          I did - finally finished my AA this summer. If your college offers them, online classes are great for scheduling!
          I am taking my first online class this semester (I currently have a non-LEO job working 40 hours per work and I am taking 12 credits). It's an adjustment but makes the load easier to do it on my time. I just think it will be less of an option at a non-"online" school as I move higher into a degree program. We'll see I guess.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

It can be done. We've had officers complete law school while working regular patrol.

Now its even easier thanks to Internet classes and colleges that realize not every student is a 19 y/o with Mommy and Daddy paying for his classes. The sheer amount of non-traditional students means there are a lot more non-tradictional class schedules available.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I am taking my first online class this semester (I currently have a non-LEO job working 40 hours per work and I am taking 12 credits). It's an adjustment but makes the load easier to do it on my time. I just think it will be less of an option at a non-"online" school as I move higher into a degree program. We'll see I guess.

Thanks for the replies.
              Depends on the school - I think my dad finished his MBA online, and I can get a 4yr from my college (Granite State College / University System of NH) online as well.
              summer - winter - work

Comment

It's definitely possible. A friend of mine finished his masters in a traditional college setting while working nights. I've taken a couple classes while working nights, but it was hard to take more than one class a semester. Now, I'm doing an online degree, and I'm able to take a full course load with 8 week semesters while working.

Comment

Someone sent me a PM stating the academy would/could also award credits. I wouldn't be able to apply them to an AA, because the academy requires one for entrance. But I would hopefully be able to transfer to a 4-year and use the credits there.

In addition, candidates who complete the mandated training requirements for Basic Police Training at the Oakland Police Academy are awarded college credits.

Comment

I did it. Your life will be going to work, going to school, writing papers and studying for tests, but it can be done.

Comment

I'm doing it now...in seated class, not online. It's not easy and the work load is unbelievable, but...it's what I want so therefore I do it.

I don't know how much an agency is going to work with you as a rookie Officer. You might have to put off your college for a year or so until you get through academy, FTO and all that.
                      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I'm currently working on my masters degree and attend classes once or twice a week. I work midnights and classes are in the evening before work. I am fortunate to have an agency and a supervisor that are very understanding of my situation. Myemployer even pays some of my tuition through a tuition assistance program. You really cant be taking classes while in the academy or while on FTO. You really need to focus on the job during this time.

Goodluck

Comment

Two associates, a batchelors and a masters all while working full time for various law enforcement agencies, of course, it took me almost twenty six years to do it all.
                          never forget: www.odmp.org

"In peace time our best still don battledress and lay their lives on the line"

Comment

Someone sent me a PM stating the academy would/could also award credits. I wouldn't be able to apply them to an AA, because the academy requires one for entrance. But I would hopefully be able to transfer to a 4-year and use the credits there.
                            Granted, Im in OH, but my academy counted for 33 of the 104 credits needs for an AA in CRJ. Im still working on the remainder.

OH > MI
                            ALL THAT IS NECESSARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS THAT GOOD MEN DO NOTHING. -EDMUND BURKE

Comment

Granted, Im in OH, but my academy counted for 33 of the 104 credits needs for an AA in CRJ. Im still working on the remainder.

OH > MI
                              ALL THAT IS NECESSARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS THAT GOOD MEN DO NOTHING. -EDMUND BURKE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5741 users online. 325 members and 5416 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X