Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this police encounter stay on my record?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this police encounter stay on my record?

problem solved thanks
    Last edited by bobeck; 11-29-2009, 02:00 AM.

Depends on whether they wrote a criminal report for the incident or not....this sounds like it was handled as a civil matter between you and the other person.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

What would be considered a ''criminal report" for purposes of having me in their records. Would I know whether or not they filed a criminal report?

Comment

The only way you are going to know that is to ASK the handling agency.....

BUT, if they were going to go to the trouble of writing a criminal report, I am pretty sure they would have also taken the time to write the booking packet as well......which means you would have been taken to the jail and processed.
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

How old are you now? How old were you when this happened? Did you shoot the window out by accident? I would say you don't have a "record". I'd bet there is a record of the event on file at the agency that handled this complaint. Sound as if you were never convicted of a crime. This incident might show up depending on how the agency handled the incident.

Can this hurt your chances of being a cop? How old are you now? How old were you then? Did you do it on purpose or was it an accident? You need to answer those questions before your question can be answered.

Comment

I don't think there is a record of it. Depends on how detailed the police records are. In my agency, yes it would pop-up but only on internal computers and not a national system.

On a side-note its one of those things you can talk about in an interview of how you did something really stupid and made up for it.

You took ownership of doing something stupid and you made amends for your mistake.

Comment

Unfortunately, I was 20 at the time. I intentionally shot the window, but did not know that it would break. And also, Does this incident require then that i answer ''Yes" to applications that ask if i was ever convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor?

Comment

Originally posted by bobeck View Post
                Unfortunately, I was 20 at the time. I intentionally shot the window, but did not know that it would break. And also, Does this incident require then that i answer ''Yes" to applications that ask if i was ever convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor?
                Have you been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor?
                summer - winter - work

Comment

Deleted .. .. .. ..
                  Last edited by RJDSRT05; 09-28-2009, 09:23 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Should you disclose it of course.

Is it a crime...yes.

Does it sound like you were charged...no.

Can any of us honestly answer this question....no.

Can you call that department and find out somehow...probably.

Comment

Originally posted by bobeck View Post
                      First. STOP lying to us. YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE WINDOW WOULD BREAK?!?! I dare you to tell that to your background investigator...

Were you convicted? Doesn't sound like you were charged.

Have you ever committed a crime? YES

Have you ever had contact with the police? YES

Comment

You are 20 years old and INTENTIONALLY shot a BB gun at someones vehicle??? What on Earth did you think would happen???

You sir have NO BUSINESS even considering applying to a police department. EVER.

Comment

If charges were not filed then you would not have a "criminal record" However, was a Police report made? If so, then there would still be a record of the incident. Even if a report was not made, your name may have been logged in the agencies' in house computer system. As far as LE jobs go, you better disclose it, they will probably find out. Any other type of NON-LE job, I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

To be honest, the fact that you were 20 yrs old and shot your neighbor's car window with a BB gun tells me that you are extremely immature and have a long way to go. I was a cop at 21 and wouldn't have been playing with a BB gun, let alone damaging a neighbor's property with it at 20 years old. I think the last time I played with a BB gun I was like 10. Even at 10 years old I never would have shot at a neighbor's car.
                            Last edited by WesternWayneCop; 09-28-2009, 11:48 PM.

Comment

To the OP....yup, you are done. Please move on. Nothing more to see here.
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by Smurfette
                              Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                              Originally posted by DAL
                              You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5174 users online. 296 members and 4878 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X