300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application history on background

Does it look good, bad, or does not matter if you've applied to alot of agencies in a short period of time? I've applied to 23 and counting since february 08 (non selects on most except 3 which are still pending
    Last edited by GangGreen712; 09-28-2009, 06:48 PM.
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

I dunno. IMO I don't really think so but I'm not in recruitement. My initial thoughts are simply one is aggressively pursuing an LEO career. Some might argue however that many apps may show lack of focus.

I remember waaaaaaaay back in the day when I was first looking. I think I had 6 or 7 apps floating around. What I used to call the "shotgun" approach. Twenty-six is a bit much but WTH. Go for it. Something's bound to turn up or at least get looked at. Good luck.
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Lack of focus is one way to put it. I would say it shows he's indiscriminate. No agency wants to be a number, they want you to want to work with them for a specific reason, not just throw apps out willy nilly. Then they get to wondering why 23 agencies didn't take your application.
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

It doesn't look great, but it really depends on who's looking at your application. If it were me, I would have to look at a bunch of different things. First of all, were all 23 of those agencies actively hiring, or just "accepting applications"? Why were you not selected?

I believe when I start applying a few years ago I had almost 10 out. I never got asked about it. It really comes down to why didn't the first 22 pick you up.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
          It doesn't look great, but it really depends on who's looking at your application. If it were me, I would have to look at a bunch of different things. First of all, were all 23 of those agencies actively hiring, or just "accepting applications"? Why were you not selected?
          Well, I'm actively in the process with 5 of them right now. As I said, since Feb 08, I've been putting in applications with any actively hiring department where I felt that I would fit in. I didn't put 20 out all at once; usually I'd do like two or three at a time. I thoroughly researched each department I applied for. I don't believe in the shotgun approach.

It really comes down to why didn't the first 22 pick you up.
          Basically because up until this spring, I did not apply outside of CT. Due to the economy, none of the departments were hiring more than 1-5 at a time, and most went on hiring freeze. Those that didn't had 300-500 applicants, many former military or officers looking to transfer. I just got a lot of "We're going with better applicants for now, we'll stick you on the eligibility list but don't hold your breath."
          "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
          -Chris Rock

Comment

It looks bad. Too many apps out there. You just want to get picked up anywhere and it's showing as desperation.
            Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Well, in this economy (especially in the mid-west) when departments are hiring less than 5 officers at a time and 200+ people show up to take the test, it should be expected. Its not like it was 10-12 years ago. These days, you may have to take what you can get and be happy your not one of the hundreds of officers that have been layed off or just cant score high enough or get hired. However, if you live in the southwest, where it seems like everyone is hiring, I would limit your applications to a few places you have a legitimate interest in and be able to tell them why you want to work for their department. If you live in an area like Michigan. Apply everywhere you can and hope you get a bite.

Comment

Don't Sell Yourself Short!

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
                Does it look good, bad, or does not matter if you've applied to alot of agencies in a short period of time? I've applied to 23 and counting since february 08 (non selects on most except 3 which are still pending

I just got a lot of "We're going with better applicants for now, we'll stick you on the eligibility list but don't hold your breath."
                FWIW, you really need to be careful about throwing the term "non select" around, especially when talk to BIs from departments you apply to.

Non select is commonly interpreted to mean you got one of those vaguely worded letters saying they elected to go with other more qualified applicants, which is a polite way of saying you failed some portion of the testing process or were DQed on the background, medical or psych. No one likes to be called a failure, or to be told they are lacking in moral character, or are mentally or psychologically unfit, so they just get the polite but vague non-select letter.

However, if I understand what you have posted, you passed each exam, made it to the eligible list (or hiring list, or whatever they call it in your area) but just weren't high enough to be reachable for the number of vacancies they had at the time. That isn't a non-select, that's a success story. People are hired from the list in the order of their exam scores as vacancies occur in the future. Even if your scores are not high enough that they can reach you before the list expires, that doesn't change things. If I understand you correctly, your status is not non-select. Its is passed exam and on list. Don't sell yourself short here.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I don't know what magic number would constitute "too many" applications. I've often, and still do recommend that an applicant apply at more than one agency. I'm not going to contradict the replies of my colleagues, as all of them are really, very much on the money.What you might do, is a little critical self analysis, to see why you may not be scoring as high in some of the processes. That doesn't mean beating yourself up, or being hyper critical. Just a good honest assessment. As you've no doubt found out, the competition is fierce. The sour economy accounts for much of this, but good agencies will always have large applicant pools. Do what you can to improve your "number" in future hiring processes. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                    FWIW, you really need to be careful about throwing the term "non select" around, especially when talk to BIs from departments you apply to.

Non select is commonly interpreted to mean you got one of those vaguely worded letters saying they elected to go with other more qualified applicants, which is a polite way of saying you failed some portion of the testing process or were DQed on the background, medical or psych. No one likes to be called a failure, or to be told they are lacking in moral character, or are mentally or psychologically unfit, so they just get the polite but vague non-select letter.

However, if I understand what you have posted, you passed each exam, made it to the eligible list (or hiring list, or whatever they call it in your area) but just weren't high enough to be reachable for the number of vacancies they had at the time. That isn't a non-select, that's a success story. People are hired from the list in the order of their exam scores as vacancies occur in the future. Even if your scores are not high enough that they can reach you before the list expires, that doesn't change things. If I understand you correctly, your status is not non-select. Its is passed exam and on list. Don't sell yourself short here.
                    In that case, I've only had 3 non-selects (actually getting the vague letter)...and I just found out that 1 was rescinded and I'm back, albeit placed low, on the eligibility list.
                    -Chris Rock

Comment

It shouldn't be a big problem, you will just have to explain you came from a state where hiring freezes are more common than trees. Though once you get to an area that is hiring don't do the shotgun approach, do your research on those departments you want to join and only apply to those. That way it doesn't appear as if you are desperate. Good luck, patience and perseverance are two qualities you will need.
                      In Memory of A Fallen Hero

Comment

These days, applying to a lot of agencies is the norm, because no one knows who will be hiring.

In a better job market, a large number of applications is an indication that you are desperate.
                        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                          Lack of focus is one way to put it. I would say it shows he's indiscriminate. No agency wants to be a number, they want you to want to work with them for a specific reason, not just throw apps out willy nilly. Then they get to wondering why 23 agencies didn't take your application.
                          That sounds like one of those circular self-feeding problems. He keeps getting turned down so he keeps applying but now he has put in too many apps and gets turned so now he has to apply more yet he will get rejected because he has applied too many times.

Comment

I agree with DAL. WIth the way things are now...not everyone is getting their dream department (whatever that means). I put out a ton of them, reason being is that the process takes a while and I want to see progress.

Comment

I used a similar approach, but I was also wary of making sure to do the homework on each of the agencies I applied to. Of course the fact that I was processing with a number of departments produced slight concern, but that way you're able to at least make it appear you aren't just firing down the line. Get to know each agency (history, city/county demographic, crime/incident statistics, etc.) because it usually comes up during BI interviews.

Besides, I can't imagine many BI's scrutinizing that too much given the number of agencies not being able to hire. Good luck!
                              fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5387 users online. 307 members and 5080 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X