300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prospective officer

Hi, I’m a 20 y/o, white female with no doubt in my mind that I want to be a police officer. I am currently getting my degree in CJ/Sociology w/ minor in Spanish and have real aspirations to get my masters in the related fields. What I’m unsure of is if I can get hired after my BA as an officer somewhere, is it practical to assume I could work simultaneously as a cop and get a masters…? Or are the hours too insane/irregular and it’d be better to get the masters then apply…? I’m asking now because I’m currently looking at graduate schools and the masters is important to me because I have a serious interest in trying to go into a federal agency in the future – (high hopes of DEA…)

My second issue; I’m from Alaska and definitely know I don’t want to work patrol there, but am having a ridiculous time trying to figure out if the North East or West Coast would be best. Those are my two interests and the gun class I took in AK with a SWAT officer told me the training for both locations vary greatly as does the standard of policing. I’m unsure of what I want, (other than to work/live in a city) obviously because I have zero experience but thought maybe police in the lower 48 would have better insight!

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read ~

Originally posted by WORLD_TRVLR View Post
    Hi, I’m a 20 y/o, white female with no doubt in my mind that I want to be a police officer. I am currently getting my degree in CJ/Sociology w/ minor in Spanish and have real aspirations to get my masters in the related fields. What I’m unsure of is if I can get hired after my BA as an officer somewhere, is it practical to assume I could work simultaneously as a cop and get a masters…? Or are the hours too insane/irregular and it’d be better to get the masters then apply…? I’m asking now because I’m currently looking at graduate schools and the masters is important to me because I have a serious interest in trying to go into a federal agency in the future – (high hopes of DEA…)

My second issue; I’m from Alaska and definitely know I don’t want to work patrol there, but am having a ridiculous time trying to figure out if the North East or West Coast would be best. Those are my two interests and the gun class I took in AK with a SWAT officer told me the training for both locations vary greatly as does the standard of policing. I’m unsure of what I want, (other than to work/live in a city) obviously because I have zero experience but thought maybe police in the lower 48 would have better insight!

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read ~
    First of all, I admire your aspirations. Yours, is a pretty general question, and that's the way I'm going to have to reply. If you're successful in becoming a Police Officer, you will begin your career in Patrol. After serving a prescribed period of time in Patrol, you can usually request transfer to more specialized units of the Dept. Traffic, Investigations, etc. Of course, the exception(s) to this would be Federal agencies such as the FBI. DEA, etc, which are investigative in nature. Many agencies will facilitate an Officer's desire to further their education, many are not so progressive. That said, I've known any number of officers who have pursued advanced degrees while working some pretty difficult schedules.It can be done. At this point, research on your part is going to be your best friend. Much of it can be done on line. You should look at Departments where you feel you might be a fit. Be honest in your personal assessments. Attempt to speak to a Recruiter when possible. Best of luck to you.

Comment

It appears you have set some attainable goals for yourself. As far as making a determination of whether or not you can handle working a job and on your masters, there is nothing we can do. It is all contingent on you! Are you are good reader? Can you split levels of learning and earning? Are you able to multi-task? Where, besides the DEA are you interested in working?

As you can see, the answers to your questions depend more on you and your capabilities than they do our opinions.

Good luck!!

BYW, a masters is attainable even though you are working for an agency. Many have satisfactorily and successfully argued their thesis. Sometimes it just takes a little longer.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Don't limit yourself to the coasts. Plenty of good police work being done between them. It really depends on your position, seniority and dept as to whether you will be able to go to grad school while employed. There are always regionally accredited on-line grad schools.

Comment

Says the man from Ohio

LOL

Good Luck, honey. Yes, you can do the masters while working. It's more difficult, put possible and allows you 2 birds, 1 stone. You gather the experience of LE and your education.
          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
            Says the man from Ohio
            I know, right? I was going to say the same thing!!!
            Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

I appreciate the responses. It's good to know it's not completely ludacris to get a masters while working. I definitely favor the option of starting work first as I can't wait, even though it'll be more difficult. And I would gladly take any job offered regardless of regional location - just prefer coasts!

Is it appropriate to ask another quick question regarding what is prefered as a candidate w/ having background knowledge of target shooting and handling a gun as opposed to no experience and thus no bad habbits to break in the academy?

Comment

And I would gladly take any job offered regardless of regional location - just prefer coasts!
                Sorry Ohio!
                Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/07/...ion/index.html
                  Last edited by Nobody; 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I appreciate the responses. It's good to know it's not completely ludacris to get a masters while working. I definitely favor the option of starting work first as I can't wait, even though it'll be more difficult. And I would gladly take any job offered regardless of regional location - just prefer coasts!

Is it appropriate to ask another quick question regarding what is prefered as a candidate w/ having background knowledge of target shooting and handling a gun as opposed to no experience and thus no bad habbits to break in the academy?

While many agencies like someone who doesn't have any bad habbits to break as far as shooting, it is highly unlikely that it will affect your hiring process one way or another. Good luck!

Comment

Your goals are more than attainable & your minor in Spanish, a plus. It sounds like you have a very general idea of LE but not too many particulars. I'd suggest you "bone up" on what LE really entails, in that city Pds differ greatly (generally) from SOs or State agencies. Recognize too, that "East Coast" policing is quite a bit different too from West coast in terms of attitude---a very nebulous quality, I'll admit, but it does exist. If you haven't already, talk to officers in depth, get their prospective of the job, the pros & cons, ask yourself what you'd do in work & non-work situations as LE is as much a life-style as it is a career. While many women do choose LE as a career, to be honest, it's not something I'd want my daughter to do, as it does play on games with one's head. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions, and good luck........

Comment

The North Slope PD is hiring if you can hack Barrow.

Comment

Well now I sound picky, but...I'll also be the first to admit I could not hack Barrow and my hat is certainly off to you.

Anyone have any experience with Boston?

Comment

Boston? No. But growing up in NYC (close enough) & having friends on the job there & wanting to work there, my first thought is you may not like it. Big cities have big problems & as I said the East coast mind-set of law enforcement where it's extremely tight knit, having to be politically correct all the time and having to be connected to get ahead may not be for you. Oh sure, all Depts. have their politics but the major East Coast cities are notorious for it and some won't even deny it claiming that's "just how it's done". I've worked in both a small & large Dept. & given an option, I think I'd prefer a small one....just my .02

Comment

Oh that’s an interesting point; I’ve never given thought to the political aspect you’re talking about. And that alone doesn’t sound appealing, however, do you think that a large city would exude more experience, and possibly look better if after awhile, I do try and go federal?

I’m very excited about hopefully becoming a police officer, but also want to make the best moves so DEA could be an option down the road…or U.S. Marshalls…

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3872 users online. 211 members and 3661 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X