300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve Duties

Hey everyone, I'm just about to finish my degree in Micro/Molecular Biology and have been considering LE for awhile (lots of family in LE, including father). Originally I was set on the forensic science division part of it, but now I'm thinking of applying for a sworn position.

The local PD has a Reserve unit that I'm thinking of applying to (6 month part-time academy), just to get a feel for it and see if it's actually something I want to jump into for the long haul. In your experience, how hands-on can you get if you're a Reserve? I've read that they can patrol, help with crowd control etc. and it seems like a great place to start and see if LE is for me.

Thanks,

-Katatonic

Training and responsibilities vary from department to department and state to state.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Holy vague Batman...

All kidding aside, it really depends on which State, and even more so, which department you're curious about. My agency has fully-sworn reserves that have full enforcement ability and can operate in any division (investigations, patrol, detention, etc.). Not every department in Arkansas does this though. Call the agency you're interested in and ask them as we have no way to know.
      Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

Just what DAL said. See what your PD allows/requires of its officers then decide. A friend with a PD Reserve/Auxillary unit back East doesn't do half of what I do & he does it unarmed! Definitly not for me. I retired from the PD, joined the Reserves & actually enjoy the job more now tha before.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, and sorry about being vague! Unfortunately I can only go from their (lackluster) website at the moment, but within the week I will be stopping by to talk to someone about it, and see if I can get a ride-along as well. I wasn't aware how much Reserves varied in terms of duties/sworn or not/ability to be armed.

Comment

UUUUHHHHH....Micro/molecular biology???? Why dont you just instead be a millionaire scientist and cure cancer??

Pros:
            you will have money
            nobody will try to shoot you
            you may get a holiday off

Cons:
            cant shoot people or smack 'em around....well..legally, that is
            cant drive fast....legally
            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

seriously...if u wanna do it, do it and good luck.
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Thansk Crasscop, but if you're looking for money, it's DEFINITELY not in science! 5 years as a grad student, making $20K, then 4-8 years as a post-doc making 40k, all the while with virtually 0 job security haha. Either way though, money isn't my sole concern, but it's definitely something I can't just not think about since I want to have a stable income for a future family.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4444 users online. 231 members and 4213 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X