Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression/Anxiety/Mild Bi Polar.

Hello,

I was wondering whether or not someone with Moderate Depression with anxiety, plus mild bi-polar - no manic, just the mild mood cycling can still be a cop? I had a kid (H.S. student), who is interested in being a cop ask me this (I'm a school teacher), and I wasn't sure what to tell him. My gut reaction is no, but if they're properly medicated, I don't see why they couldn't function as well as a non mental illness person. However, should they come off their meds, that could be an issue.

Also, can this type of person posess a handgun?

Thanks!

Is this really an honest question or are you trying to pull our chain? Law enforcement has a high enough suicide rate (although I do believe it is behind teachers... go figure), and that's with mentally intact people... the last thing your student needs to do is become a cop.

Comment

After reading your former posts, let me change this to say the last thing your "student" or your "friend" needs is to become a cop.

Comment

No, this isn't my friend, lol - that's a whole different issue. He gave up on the cop thing, and is now selling insurance....

This was seriously a H.S. student that asked me this question. I wasn't sure how to nicely put it, but I didn't want to tell him to seek another career when there was still a chance that he could be a cop providing that he was properly medicated.

Anyway, thanks for your responses...

Comment

Originally posted by JLH81 View Post
          Hello,

I was wondering whether or not someone with Moderate Depression with anxiety, plus mild bi-polar - no manic, just the mild mood cycling can still be a cop? I had a kid (H.S. student), who is interested in being a cop ask me this (I'm a school teacher), and I wasn't sure what to tell him. My gut reaction is no, but if they're properly medicated, I don't see why they couldn't function as well as a non mental illness person. However, should they come off their meds, that could be an issue.

Thanks!
          I would say no, my brother-in-law is bi-polar and when he skips his medication I would not give him a Nerf football let alone gun. Your student should seek another line of employment

Comment

It is totally impossible for a bipolar person to be in law enforcement.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Hello,

Thanks!
              Based on the information you've provided, the answer will be "NO" across the board.

Comment

No, reason being is we need to be able to predict how you react at given situations. Won't make it past the psych evaluation.

Comment

This was seriously a H.S. student that asked me this question. I wasn't sure how to nicely put it, but I didn't want to tell him to seek another career when there was still a chance that he could be a cop providing that he was properly medicated.

Anyway, thanks for your responses...
                  Sometimes the truth isn't the answer people want. This only makes it more difficult if he/she gets their heart set on something that isn't possible. It is better to nip it in the bud and be honest.

Ask yourself the question.....would you want someone with moderate depression, anxiety and mild bi polar making life and death decisions? Would you trust them as your partner or with your life?

Medicated or not...there isn't a law regarding one MUST take their meds. Half of them don't think they need their meds. So by the time you figure out so and so isn't on their meds...it's too late.

A liability, my answer would be no.
                  This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

3 words.....Observe and report.
                    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

So, lol, the same student approached me today at school to ask me if I found out the answer. I nicely told him that he didn't have a chance, to which he replied, "Could I be a Community Service Officer" Now, that I could see since he isn't making life or death situations, and isn't given a gun.

Also, after talking to him longer, I found out that he has moderate depression/anxiety, but NOT Bi-Polar. He is currently on medication, and honestly, he functions well with meds or not. The only difference I've noticed is that his attitude is a little bit more positive wihle on meds, and he doesn't stress out as much.

So, I'm not sure if you guys could answer this question for me, but I know that first thing tomorrow he will probably be asking me about this. He's a really nice kid. He's very reliable, hard working, and overall, a good kid, so I'd hate to not follow through on my promise to ask some Cop "friends" LOL

Thanks guys!

Comment

CSO's are held to similar standards. Off the top of my head, the psych comes to mind. Every department is different. Tell him, you are not in a position to answer that question and he would have to make inquiries to specific departments.

But honestly, moderate depression and anxiety are red flags with or without meds.

Good luck as it sounds like he really looks up to you for guidance.
                        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Being mentally stable is a must for this job. The stress drives normal people batty on its own. Someone who is predisposed to depression and what not and NEEDS medication cannot effectively do this job.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks!

No Offense, but if you are BI-POLAR you should not possess a handgun. Mild depression and anxiety are more common, but every person I have dealt with in the past 12 years that has been diagnosed with BI-POLAR disorder has had some type of negative episode at one time or another. Scary

Comment

It seems to me that this "friend" and "student" might also have multiple personality disorder issues.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6388 users online. 364 members and 6024 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X