300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer Country officers/deputies

Do any of you have giant bumper guards on your patrol cars?

No. Never hit a deer, but we did have a deer T-bone the side of a relatively new cruiser! Doh!
    Steve

Comment

No deer bumpers here. I've nailed quite a few with my truck, never the Troop car though. (knock on wood)
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Deer are everywhere here. I live in the suburbs a mile from the ocean (can see it as I type this) and there are deer that pretty much live right next to our house. They are in our driveway eating the landscaping every night.

They're even more numerous in the mountains here. When I worked that beat, I once had a stretch where I came within 10 yards of hitting deer every shift for three or four months.

There is an endless food supply and no hunting pressure at all here. No public lands for hunting and it is extremely rare for a property owner to allow hunting, and even then it has to be archery. I wouldn't take any of the deer here at my house - it just wouldn't be sporting to get a buck without even leaving the lounge chair on the deck. The coastal blacktails are small, too. A typical buck only has four points and is probably no more than 140 pounds.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Nope. I've had 3 deer hit me over the last 9 years. All 3 ran into the side of my vehicle as I drove by. One broken mirror, one broken running light, and no killed deer. All 3 got up and ran away.

Comment

TN Highway Patrol has implemented wrap-around push bumper / brush guards on most of their vehicles due to deer hits and other front-end related collisions. The amount of damage without one was significantly higher and obviously more expensive to replace/repair.
            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Deer Country officers/deputies

Okay, since we are on the topic of deer, one of the older debates in some areas, maybe even older than Coke vs.Pepsi, is....

Do deer whistles work or are they ineffective?

Comment

I regret to inform you, that I cannot answer that question truthfully.

Comment

I read a study on deer whistles about 15-20 years ago that concluded they were ineffective. They have to be at just the right angle to make the secret whistle, and then they are still prone to clogging with bugs and dirt. They have to work in pairs to get the right tone, so if one is not working, they don't make the right sound. Even then, deer will often leap forward when startled, even if that means into the road. The best defense is to drive the speed limit.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

We have plenty deer out here and we also have push bumpers on all our patrol cars. The newer Chargers have wrap around. We don't have them mainly for the deer but it's a side benefit.
                    Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Most of our rigs have simple push bumpers, and fewer others have full sized grills.

I have struck only one deer in my career. Was doing about 60mph and it caused a couple thousand dollars damage to the front of my vehicle, which had a pushbar. Have had hundreds of near misses.

Struck a bobcat a few years ago, and it didn't do any damage at all.

Had deer run into the side of my rig a couple of times as well, but with no damage.

Haven't hit any bear, moose, or mountain lions........yet.

Comment

Whistles dont work. Shotguns do though. I'm still counting down the days until opening day!

Heres a question: who here has had to break up a fight which began after 1 party struck a deer and the 2nd party tried to take it home?
                        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                          Heres a question: who here has had to break up a fight which began after 1 party struck a deer and the 2nd party tried to take it home?
                          LMAO. Haven't had to yet, but definitely sounds like something that would happen in my county.
                          ALL THAT IS NECESSARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS THAT GOOD MEN DO NOTHING. -EDMUND BURKE

Comment

Haven't had that happen. I've had people stop and say they'd take the deer, but someone already laid claim to it.

I had a guy on a motorcycle get wiped out by a deer. I think he broke a leg (the rider), the deer was DOA. The deer was a nice buck in velvet and the rider said he'd take the deer and get the head mounted. He figured if the deer wiped out his motorcycle (not totalled), he'd put the guy on his wall!
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve in PA View Post
                              Haven't had that happen. I've had people stop and say they'd take the deer, but someone already laid claim to it.

I had a guy on a motorcycle get wiped out by a deer. I think he broke a leg (the rider), the deer was DOA. The deer was a nice buck in velvet and the rider said he'd take the deer and get the head mounted. He figured if the deer wiped out his motorcycle (not totalled), he'd put the guy on his wall!
                              That sounds like a Pennsylvanian alright!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6113 users online. 370 members and 5743 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X