Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do Scenario 2

Hello again.
    OK question was tell us of an incident where you were in confrontation with someone (anyone passenger, coworker etc). What was the subject, how was it handled and what was the out come.

Well since I work for TSA (Transportation Security Administration) The captain asked me this about co workers or passengers.
    I said there was an incident where it was 1 hour til the shift ended and 6 of us including the supervisor were working hard to finish processing luggage. Well 1 employee was at lunch at this time and soon came back to "work". (yeah you might know one of those laid back I see people working and the shift is almost over let me hang back a bit and not do much.)
    Ok well this individual has a problem with anyone turning on the fans. It gets very hot at time especially when you have to lift 50-100lbs of weight in certain bags. This guy makes a statement "I'm going to turn this fan off because I'll get cold and I'll get sick" Everyone was like WTF?!!!!!! We're all hot and tired yet this guy just came back from lunch at an unusual time approved by the supervisors and owns the place. So we retaliated and told him we're hot please leave the fan on, couldn't you just work on the far side where the wind won't hit you. He was stubborn and said "no because I want to be in this spot". We asked him again our good suggestion to go to the other side of the area where the wind won't reach so we 6 can work better. Could you believe it he called for the supervisor who was right next to him hearing the whole conversation and this wuss of a supervisor was on his side saying " it's true guys the fan would be spreading dust and all" supervisor said it because he doesn't like to deal with situations and in my opinion is intimidated by this guy and the supervisor approved to have the fan on because he was hot too in the 1st place. Again we're like WTF?!?!?! So I stepped in and told the guy he is very inconsiderate of others and he should take our proposal and move to an area where the wind doesn't reach. After that I also told the supervisor he was wrong for taking 1 persons side over those of 6 who are working with him sweating. I would rather have 1 baby cry than 5.

Well the captain fliped on me saying you actually told your superior he was wrong? I said yes, doesn't matter who you are if your wrong then you are. And I said it respectfully. If people can't take constructive criticizm, then oh well. Does anyone agree?

So the captain gave me a scenario. It's 6 of you on your team. Your on the 2 pm shift and it's raining. Traffic light is out and your supervisor says, Knight43 YOU will be out there directing traffic alone. Would you do it?
    I said yes because it's an order to do a job which we are paid for and it's to ensure safety even though being in the rain doing that is a risk to my life.

I'm sure I'm goign to get different views to this but my point was If you make an unjust decision then you should be corrected no matter who you are. My wife said the captain thinks your insubordinate. Well maybe I am but I said I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

OH well HERE goes the debate. TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS THINK! And sorry for the novel I just wrote. Hope nobody is confused
    Last edited by knight43; 09-24-2009, 10:44 PM. Reason: grammar

Huh? Are you for real?

Have you ever been in a fight, you know where physical contact is made and pain inflicted?
    "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

So I should not say "YOUR wrong" but " if it was my call I would have done it this way and here is why" correct?
      I think it's verbal judo. Not blatently stating hey boss your wrong but I would have done it this way because.....

OK I see it. Thanks again. But people should be corrected and not just anyone below you. Wouldn't want a general sending you into the enemys direct path and get blown to bits now

Comment

It is ok to disobey a direct order if you feel it can harm someone or violate their civil rights. However, in Law Enforcement if you disobey a direct order that you THOUGHT was wrong, but it wasn't, you can be terminated.

You did a good job on understanding the other persons views and taking them into consideration.

Comment

2 things...

One, you seem to have a big problem with superiors. You definitely have something against this captain or commander or whatever, and you basically tell your boss that he's an idiot.

Two, if you have a problem with working in the rain, stop applying. Good God son, were in Florida! There are times during the year where we have no choice but to work 12 on, 12 off for several days at a time, in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
            It is ok to disobey a direct order if you feel it can harm someone or violate their civil rights. However, in Law Enforcement if you disobey a direct order that you THOUGHT was wrong, but it wasn't, you can be terminated.

You did a good job on understanding the other persons views and taking them into consideration.
            Thank you for explaining this to me

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
              2 things...

One, you seem to have a big problem with superiors. You definitely have something against this captain or commander or whatever, and you basically tell your boss that he's an idiot.

Two, if you have a problem with working in the rain, stop applying. Good God son, were in Florida! There are times during the year where we have no choice but to work 12 on, 12 off for several days at a time, in the rain.
              Seems like I do have a problem and need to work on it but the rain part you misunderstood I said I would do the job because what it is expected but risky.

Comment

Originally posted by knight43 View Post
                Seems like I do have a problem and need to work on it but the rain part you misunderstood I said I would do the job because what it is expected but risky.
                Leave the 'buts' out. Police work is risky no matter what we do. Mikeymedic is right, you never disobey an order a supervisor gives you unless the order is illegal.

In the future, leave your responses brief but informative. If they want more information, they will ask for it. Your original post was way too long, just get to the point.

Also, when you are asked a question that may put you in a negative light, always try and put a positive spin on it. State that you took something positive away from it. In this instance, you learned that in order to work as a team, you felt it was necessary to compromise your comfort so that the task could be completed. Try and end your answers on a positive note because people like to hire positive people.
                sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I HIGHLY recommend going online and buying an Oral Interview guidebook.From what i have read in the 2 scenarios you outlined you made the #1 mistake of changing your answer.Keep your answers short and direct.Take about 10 seconds to think about your answer before speaking.Once you even give a slight hint of uncertainty in your response,the Oral Board will rip you to shreds.Not saying that all Boards are the same,but if you are in an individual interview,be certain of your responses.
                  When I took my Oral Boards, I was in the room with 2 other applicants and we had one minute to think of our answer and one minute to respond to it then they moved on to the next question
                  I think that Orals with the Captain/Chief of the dept you applied for seems unfair.With mine the Panel was comprised of 4 Chiefs from surrounding municipalities.They asked us six questions and that was it.Took less than 30 minutes.
                  No research I looked at mentioned multiple applicant interviews.Just goes to show you be ready for anything
                  Last edited by shotgunnar; 09-25-2009, 10:24 AM. Reason: spell

Comment

Im sorry to say this but the TSA is like working for Wakenhutt...get out of there ASAP

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6121 users online. 326 members and 5795 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X