Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleuth
    replied
    HEDP, we found that steroid abusers tend to overdevelop the muscles in their neck, losing flexibility. It was a indicator, not proof.

Leave a comment:

• Nobody
    replied
    [http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/07/...ion/index.html
    Last edited by Nobody; 10-08-2009, 10:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mavriktu
    replied
    My primary (favorite) pair is a set of Smiths,my first pair,been in active use since 1976,and are now older than most people I use them on.

Leave a comment:

• furetto7
    replied
    Two pair on the belt, one pair of Peerless hinged as my primaries and a set of Peerless chains that I have had since I started in 1972. Three pair up front in the car and a couple of more pair along with shackles and belly chains in a small tool bag in the trunk.

Back when I started, we all still wore the bus driver hats so we would take the little coil spring insert out that let the hat keep its shape and put a couple of pair of flex-cuffs in its place, hat kept its shape unless you used all of the flex-cuffs then your hat took on that fifty mission crush look.

I make maintenance of all of my cuffs a regular part of my off-duty activities.

Leave a comment:

• HEDP
    replied
    Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
    We arrested a fair number of steroid smugglers, who could not touch the backs of their hands together behind their backs - so, two pair of cuffs.

One way to tell a steroid abuser? Two officers stand at 90 degrees to each other, and alternate speaking. If the suspect cannot turn just his/her head, but must turn their body, they are most likely abusing steroids.

Why is this?

Too many muscles?

Or is this a joke?

Leave a comment:

• beetz12
    replied
    Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
    One way to tell a steroid abuser? Two officers stand at 90 degrees to each other, and alternate speaking. If the suspect cannot turn just his/her head, but must turn their body, they are most likely abusing steroids.
    LOL, maybe he's a pain in the neck

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    We arrested a fair number of steroid smugglers, who could not touch the backs of their hands together behind their backs - so, two pair of cuffs.

Last edited by Sleuth; 09-29-2009, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• beetz12
    replied
    I haven't seen one of those hats in a long time. For a while I thought you were talking about something like a sheriff's hat. I can see how one could fit 4 flex cuffs into that. For some reason that reminds me of inspecter gadget

Kudos to marking your gear. Now if only your handcuffs were pink, no one would ever mistake them

I never knew that officers pranked each other due to the seriousness of the work. I bet the new academy guys must get the rough end of the stick
    Last edited by beetz12; 09-29-2009, 05:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nobody
    replied

Originally posted by beetz12 View Post
    Very interesting. What's the most flex cuffs can you fit your hat? Do they make wearing the hat uncomfortable?
    for the above style, I usually kept 4 zips up there (2 pairs once linked) - you just loosely coil them, drop them in the top of the hat, and they uncoil around the rim so you don't even notice they're up there

I see your point with the double locked cuffs. Guess so long as the BG doesn't resist, you're fine. But if you have to restrain him the same time you're trying to put the cuffs on, that's a risky situation.

Tell me more about the prank. How does someone walk up on you and double my cuffs the cuffs in your belt without you noticing?
    even if they don't initially resist, the moment the BG hears the cuffs (or sees if you're taking them out before putting the habeas grabbus on them) is usually when they decide to be stupid... in short, "I" am never fine if this happens (double locked cuffs)

As far as double locking them - never happened while someone was wearing their duty belt and the cuffs were in the carrier, but if somebody else transports to jail/hospital, or if you lay them down in the squad room for a moment and turn your back - or any number of reasons, the pranksters come out. Just like re-searching a prisoner someone else cuffed before you take custody.... once I get my cuffs back I check that 1. they are mine (i take care of my gear and all are stamped with my initials) and 2. they are still functioning properly

Leave a comment:

• beetz12
    replied
    Very interesting. What's the most flex cuffs can you fit your hat? Do they make wearing the hat uncomfortable?

I see your point with the double locked cuffs. Guess so long as the BG doesn't resist, you're fine. But if you have to restrain him the same time you're trying to put the cuffs on, that's a risky situation.

Tell me more about the prank. How does someone walk up on you and double my cuffs the cuffs in your belt without you noticing?

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
    flex cuffs - you leave them unlinked (unstarted in the zip part) so they curl up inside the top of the hat (don't know if this works for campaign hats, I was a city cop so we wore the other style)

double lock - absolutely, in the squad room you can safely take out the cuffs and return the double lock so they operate normally

...but....

picture being out on a call, getting out on someone, or someone fighting with you - and you just have enough oxygen to finish the job and get the bad guy's hands cuffed..you take out the cuffs...only to find out that somebody pranked you and double locked your cuffs so now all you can do is hold on to the BG's hands and keep him pinned down because you left your 3rd and 4th arms at home to both hold on for dear life and also unlock the cuffs.....

at the end of that, somebody is getting beaten and it's gonna be the guy that pranked you (again..>VERY VERY bad idea, not a prank - a severe officer safety problem that will be resolved without administration knowing about it) (safety note: take out your cuffs and check them for operation as you're getting 10-41 for the shift)

Leave a comment:

• HEDP
    replied
    On TV I sometimes see large guys cuffed with 2 handcuffs because I'm guessing they have poor flexibility in their arms. Is that another reason why some officers carry 2 cuffs?

It can because there large and there flexibility is poor, so that there arms just don't go back that far.

It could be because they have a shoulder or arm injury.

It could because they may have a respitory problem that putting there arms back could aggrevate.

It could be a women who's pregnant.

Also, obviously more then more perp (who'd ever encounter that), one pair doesn't work, you lose a pair somehow in a chase or something, someone else needs a pair quickly.

Leave a comment:

• DARE_SUPPORTER
    replied
    Originally posted by HEDP View Post
    Yeah, that's crazy.

You'll never encounter more then 1 perp.

WTF!

That's crazy they tell you how you want your belt. With a 28 inch waist I just can't put everything on my belt like some others do.

I don't want to have cuffs or anything on my back because that's a spinal safety issue if I ever fall or land on my back.

Buddy, your not telling me anything, I havent already argued about. Were not even allowed a BUG, were standard issue sidearm, shotgun, and rifle....Not allowed BUG

Leave a comment:

• HEDP
    replied
    Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
    Exactly what I say!!!!!!!!

When I left the sheriff dept i worked for a few years ago, they allowed us to put whatever we wanted on our duty belt to an extent. Which was very helpful (as in mutliple dirt bags) extra cuffs.

My new dept written in our policy has exactly how they want the stuff positioned on our duty belt and with the whole cuff thing were only allowed by policy 1-pair on our duty belt, which is a freaking safety issue if I ever saw one, granted we are not the most pro-active dept, but it only takes one time.

I carry on my duty belt dept issue S&W chains, and have 2 pair in my passenger seat in my patrol organizer.

Yeah, that's crazy.

You'll never encounter more then 1 perp.

WTF!

That's crazy they tell you how you want your belt. With a 28 inch waist I just can't put everything on my belt like some others do.

I don't want to have cuffs or anything on my back because that's a spinal safety issue if I ever fall or land on my back.

Leave a comment:

• DARE_SUPPORTER
    replied
    Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
    Everything on our belts wear out at sometime or another, that is why we always carry multiples of everything...including guns.
    Exactly what I say!!!!!!!!

When I left the sheriff dept i worked for a few years ago, they allowed us to put whatever we wanted on our duty belt to an extent. Which was very helpful (as in mutliple dirt bags) extra cuffs.

My new dept written in our policy has exactly how they want the stuff positioned on our duty belt and with the whole cuff thing were only allowed by policy 1-pair on our duty belt, which is a freaking safety issue if I ever saw one, granted we are not the most pro-active dept, but it only takes one time.

I carry on my duty belt dept issue S&W chains, and have 2 pair in my passenger seat in my patrol organizer.

Leave a comment:

• Nobody
    replied
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/07/...ion/index.html
    Last edited by Nobody; 10-08-2009, 10:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5732 users online. 340 members and 5392 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X