300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about handcuffs

I know handcuffs are very strong, as they are designed to restrain the most dangerous criminals. However, do they eventually wear out?

Most department probably purchase handcuffs on a regular basis, and I'm curious if this is to replace the handcuffs that have lost their usefulness or if it's due to a mandatory rule to replace old equipment.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

I had a pair of older handcuffs "lock up" on a guy. When I turned the key to unlock the cuffs, something inside broke.... leaving the guy with locked handcuffs. We had to cut them off.

But to answer your question.... I guess I don't really know. I assume they do eventually.

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/07/...ion/index.html
      Last edited by Nobody; 10-08-2009, 10:36 AM.

Comment

The blued ones rust quite a bit; others may rust somewhat. And there are some parts under tension that may lose their spriginess or break, as happens with magazines.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
          I had a pair of older handcuffs "lock up" on a guy. When I turned the key to unlock the cuffs, something inside broke.... leaving the guy with locked handcuffs. We had to cut them off.

But to answer your question.... I guess I don't really know. I assume they do eventually.
          Wow, I never knew handcuffs could get "stuck" like that. I'd love to see the expression on the crook's face when you tell him, sorry buddy, these cuffs are stuck - that means we'll have to leave them on you.
          Last edited by beetz12; 09-24-2009, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
            mostly they get abused and not maintained

like anything, they need to be cleaned and oiled occasionally and the single blade should swing freely - but after a while the grime will build up and can seize the mechanism (bolt cutters from the FD will take care of it)

not uncommon for them to get damaged in the course of duties either, I bent one set during an arrest (why you should carry more than one) so those got replaced.

I'm sure they 'could' just wear out - especially for detention/corrections that are using them dozens of times a day every day, but being metal they have long lives as long as they get at least occasional maintenance.

Because you might encounter more then one suspect?

I think they "could" wear out, but they are a very simple design and I don't think it's common. Alot of guys about to retire have the same cuffs they've had since the academy.

Comment

We in Corrections probably use handcuffs more than the average police officer. When showering or transporting lockup inmates we often use our cuffs sometimes hundreds of times a day.

Yep they wear out.

The pair I have now are about 15 yrs old..................but for the last 11 years I have not been a line officer so I probably only use mine once or twice a week. Our "pool" cuffs that are used by exercise and shower officers last on an average of 5 yrs before being replaced due to wear or damage.

Most of the failures are due to breaking of the internal locking mechanism or dirt and oil buildup that is not caught by the armorer.

The ratchet teeth also get worn after a period of time. Eventually the teeth won't catch on the internal locking arm...........and thus they will not lock in place.

We probably have to cut cuffs off an inmate once or twice a year.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Very good answers, thanks for everyone replies.

Many people are excited about getting new things, but I doubt many inmates are excited about getting new cuffs

5 years is still pretty long given the situation you described. Does your department use the same handcuff manufacturer year after year, and if not, what are the criteria for selecting a company's products?

Comment

Originally posted by beetz12 View Post
                  Very good answers, thanks for everyone replies.

Many people are excited about getting new things, but I doubt many inmates are excited about getting new cuffs

5 years is still pretty long given the situation you described. Does your department use the same handcuff manufacturer year after year, and if not, what are the criteria for selecting a company's products?
                  Peerless
                  I have no idea what the contract calls for..................but we only have Peerless cuffs either chrome or stainless steel.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Handcuffs don't wear out their usefulness, only the people using them do.
                    Airborne Cops are closer to God.
                    Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

Handcuffs can and do break. I was in a judge's office many (30) years ago, and he had a pair where the single strand (the part that swings through) had broken. These were by a major maker, the officer was seriously hurt, and this (then) lawyer had sued the maker.
                      They can also be "popped", breaking the chain. A guy used to go on TV and show how to do this. That's why I also carried a pair of linked cuffs, for the real bad guys.

No, this is an open forum, I will not explain how to do it!
                      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                      John Stuart Mill

Comment

Back then y'all were still riding horses, though. Things have changed.
                        Airborne Cops are closer to God.
                        Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

Mine never wore out. Seen some replaced because a bandit escaped and when recaptured wasn't wearing them anymore LOL No, not one of mine
                          "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
                            I have never had a chick break out of mine.

Hahahaha

I can see how a jailer uses their cuffs a lot more then officers and they may wear out.

Comment

Choppercopper, only the supervisors got horses, the rest of us had to walk - do you remember walking?
                              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                              John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5591 users online. 375 members and 5216 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X