300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Insurance

Do most departments provide a good amount of life insurance?

Do most LEOs get extra privately? If so how much.

It is harder b/c of you being a COP?
    The sooner you understand that all your base are belongs to me the better off you will be.

My department life insurance is 2 years salary.

I have supplemental. The amount is going to vary with everyone, depending on what kind of expenses you have. Average I'd say would be $250,000 on up/ depending on where you live.

No, my career had no effect on recieving life insurance.

Comment

Most agencies around here usually offer a 1x your yearly salary free. Some allow you to add additional with no underwriting, which means no tests, blood work etc, for a set amount depending on the amount of coverage and your age.

My agency offers 1x salary free.

Dont forget the Public Safety Officers' Benefits (PSOB) Program, which has a benefit of $315,746 for line of duty deaths.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/BJA/grant/psob/psob_main.html

Florida also has a state benefit for line of duty deaths as well. Not sure on your home state, but might be worth looking into

Comment

My agency offers 3 1/2 times your salary. My union offers a benefit as well. On top of my pension and departmental life insurance, I have 2 additional policys, which total $350,000. So as of right now, I am worth a little over $600,000. I figure that I should have enough to pay off everything, college for the kids and a few bucks left over to bank. After that, the pension should handle everything else.
        Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by NHNSP_ADMIN View Post
          Do most departments provide a good amount of life insurance?

Do most LEOs get extra privately? If so how much.

It is harder b/c of you being a COP?
          With my agency, it's one year's salary. If it's a line of duty death, the Federal Benefit is added to that, plus the proceeds of any private policy. I never experienced any difficulty in obtaining Life Insurance.

Comment

My agency is 1 year salary for free, then you pay a small amount each month for more than that. There are also federal benefits and I believe also the State of Florida gives some money to the family, but not 100% certain on that one.

Comment

We have to pay for our insurance, but we are given a fairly good 'bank' to choose all of our insurance (health, dental, vision, life, AD&D ect) from.....
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

If you're a pilot (by your avatar) then it is going to be very expensive to get a private life insurance policy. I'm a rated pilot, but mind you, I am not and have never been a pilot for my agency. I'm a TFO. Even then, coverage for death occuring as a result of flying is very expensive. A $250,000 policy would cost me $158 a month, as opposed to $58 a month while not being covered while flying.

Pretty stupid when 40,000+ die in cars a year and less than a thousand die worldwide in aircraft a year.
                Airborne Cops are closer to God.
                Arms and legs are just extensions of flight controls.

THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Comment

2 1/2 times base salary. I'm looking at buying a lot more.

Comment

Thank God I have the military life insurance, SGLI, at $400,000 dollars. the others offered by my dept were just not worth it. and if I die in the line of duty my city pays my dependents $10,000. thats it.

Comment

I have personal life insurance, department life insurance, Borough life insurance, and state life insurance. If I die at home my wife will be able to pay off most of the mortgage. If I die at work she'll be friggin' loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
                        I have personal life insurance, department life insurance, Borough life insurance, and state life insurance. If I die at home my wife will be able to pay off most of the mortgage. If I die at work she'll be friggin' loaded.
                        My wife would drag my *** to work and put me in my patrol vehicle.
                        Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6376 users online. 373 members and 6003 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X